Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I work in the fire service for a local county gov't. Have ordered a BB ... Smartphone News forum

Mumbles no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DA34EC

Question Confirmation of Push-to-Talk for BB's

Advertisement

I work in the fire service for a local county gov't. Have ordered a BB in order to have phone and contacts with me always. My Cingular rep tells me that Cingular is going to offer Push-to-Talk for the BB. She stated a couple of months ago that it would probably be available in a couple of months, but it isn't available yet. Has anyone heard when/if this feature will be available for the BB, or know who to contact about working on offering this feature for the BB?

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Confirmation of Push-to-Talk for BB's

The only blackberries that I know who works on PTT are iDEN with Nextel or Mike in Canada I never heard about PTT BB out of these two networks. The model that I know who uses PTT are 7100i and 7520 that are active and the old 7510

gruv15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404AE69

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Yes PTT is definitely coming to Cingular. When I last talked to our RIM rep., he said it would be the end of this year or beginning of next. Sorry for the delay.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

PTT on GSM ? Can't wait to see if this will work properly !

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

Cingular and Verizon both offer PTT on their networks now, just not on a BB yet. Its a bit slower to respond than on a nextel, but it does work.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

That's quite interesting.

iDEN is for sure the real thing with PTT. But I have not heard of it being deployed on GSM, though it is available on CDMA, although in a slower "push-to-wait-to-talk" configuration.

I know that down south, the whole PTT thing is quite popular, but I don't think it will make much of an impact for mobile users with GSM in Canada, since the CDMA version is so unpopular.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

And I would be wary of buying a device today that will support a network feature that's not available for six months, and trust/hope that in six months my six month old device will somehow support this new feature.

A software upgrade and a mapping of the convenience key seems a bit too trivial.

option94 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~cingulara PTT isn't bad. It takes longer for the original connection between devices, but then its just as fast as Nextel. It also has a few cool features that Nextel doesn't offer. Like the ability to show weather a user is available, or being able to place a PTT call on hold and answer another one, or to concert a PTT call into a regular voice call. If more people used it, I think it would be better than Nextel.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

PTT on CDMA is not that bad. It has been manipulated since its release and is doing pretty good. Wont ever compare to iDEN though. Biggest thing about the CDMA PTT is you will not have 2 numbers like iDEN, only 1. Sprint has come from 13 seconds delays to only 4-8 seconds. Im not positive about Cingular BB's getting the PTT, but it should be good for you guys.

ENY428 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

More people wont use it. Theres not enough of a fan base. Thats what made NEXTEL so popular so fast. Even Boost mobile has picked up on it.

option94 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Cingular's plan is to have every phone they release be PTT with in the next year or so. If that happens the fan base will definetly pick up.

bcuzi8paintchips no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

I seldom use my DC on nextel...and my entire family is on nextel. Why use it when we all have unlimited cell-to-cell?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bcuzi8paintchips
    I seldom use my DC on nextel...and my entire family is on nextel. Why use it when we all have unlimited cell-to-cell?
    Not everyone has the same options or plan. They seems to change often and as you span the country you will find plans are just a bit different.
    For example i do not have unlimited phone but I do have unlimited DC.
    Another example to use DC would be when out of the country (oohh lets say Brazil). No phone service there but the DC works great.

i'm sure there are more but i tend to use both and i'm glad the DC works so well.

bcuzi8paintchips no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

When I said "we" I was referring to my family members.

ENY428 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by option94
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Cingular's plan is to have every phone they release be PTT with in the next year or so. If that happens the fan base will definetly pick up.
    We talked about this in another tread also. Cingulars been trying to do this when I was AT&T and cingular bought them out. I dont think it'll work for them. NEXTEL and BOOST has set this trend in motion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast