Computer Makers Prepare to Stake Bigger Claim in Phone By ASHLEE VANCE Published: March 15, ... Smartphone News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Computer Makers Prepare to Stake Bigger Claim in Phones

Advertisement

Computer Makers Prepare to Stake Bigger Claim in Phone
    By ASHLEE VANCE
    Published: March 15, 2009
    The computer industry has hit upon its Next Big Thing. It is called a phone.
    Emboldened by Apple’s success with its iPhone, many PC makers and chip companies are charging into the mobile-phone business, promising new devices that can pack the horsepower of standard computers into palm-size packages.

The companies are also shifting gears because their technological feats of the last two decades — smaller laptops with faster chips to deliver snazzier graphics — no longer impress consumers, who increasingly find their three-year-old computers adequate for everyday tasks.

“The action is really with the smartphones where everyone is competing to cram the most features into a phone,” said Linley Gwennap, a veteran chip industry analyst and head of the Linley Group. “I think of PCs as just kind of boring these days.”

read more... (N Y Times)
    Last edited by jblackfish; 03-16-2009 at 10:31 AM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Will be interesting to see if companies follow through and how they fair against the current smart phone producers. My son is very interested in the Dell Alienware phone that we saw a sneak peak of the prototype a while back. Haven't heard more lately.

But the more we can fit into a portable package the better, and the competition will force growth and change.......and money out of our wallets!!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Will be interesting to see if companies follow through and how they fair against the current smart phone producers. My son is very interested in the Dell Alienware phone that we saw a sneak peak of the prototype a while back. Haven't heard more lately.

But the more we can fit into a portable package the better, and the competition will force growth and change.......and money out of our wallets!!
    Was that a prototype? I thought it was just a mockup by a fan (http://forums.pinstack.com/f229/dell_to_launch_android_windows_mobile_phones-101095/). It's definitely eye-catching but I can't see using it in a business setting.

Considering some of the features that are incorporated into the Palm Pre thanks to some fresh thinking, I'd love to see what others can add. Worst case scenario is that they just try to mimic features the leaders in the industry have, best case they came up with things we never even dreamed of and raise the bar for everyone.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    Time will tell for sure

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    dell making a phone would be sweet
    Never give up...you can always make a difference

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    The more the merrier, as far as competition goes. Hopefully, competition STILL improves the quality of all products eventually.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com