View Poll Results: Should BlackBerry users be compensated for usage outside work hours?

Voters
609. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes

447 73.40%
  • No

162 26.60%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lawyers say workers may press for more pay for after-hours BlackBerry work. CNN's Richard Roth ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

CNN: BlackBerry users seek $$$ for after-hours BlackBerry usage.

Advertisement

Lawyers say workers may press for more pay for after-hours BlackBerry work. CNN's Richard Roth reports.

[Watch Video] | [Vote on Poll]

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    Just put the phone down or don't view the inbox. It's not that hard people. Now if your employer expects you to be connected after-hours then yes there should be some pay involved if your an hourly worker. If your salary then maybe just a blanket pay increase to cover it.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by jrockett View Post
    Just put the phone down or don't view the inbox. It's not that hard people. Now if your employer expects you to be connected after-hours then yes there should be some pay involved if your an hourly worker. If your salary then maybe just a blanket pay increase to cover it.
    My thoughts exactly. If employers force you or expect you to action after hour emails I can understand. But in most cases we can choose to just read and ignore till Monday.

Problem is many of us LIKE to work using BlackBerry and then get hooked doing it.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    My thoughts exactly. If employers force you or expect you to action after hour emails I can understand. But in most cases we can choose to just read and ignore till Monday.

Problem is many of us LIKE to work using BlackBerry and then get hooked doing it.
    True.

The other issue would be that if they do receive that many emails and messages, the older ones will start getting deleted wouldn't they?

And if they are important then they can't afford not to read the new ones and possibly clear some space of unneeded emails and messages.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    Yeah a lot of employees especially hourly are probably the ones who want to be compensated more. I know my company only really wants management on the BES anyone who is salary because if you are checking emails etc while not at work that is considered over time and they do not want hourly employees doing that ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    ask
    Messages can me set to be kept from 15 days to forever. I'm set to 30 days.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    I don't get a lot, so I set mine to forever.

I would hate to have forgotten to save info and then the email containing the info getting deleted after 15 or 30 days.

megabite no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ping
    Regarding the messages getting deleted, that’s a feature that could be configured. You can even setup the BB to never delete any messages, but that will depend on the IT Policy on the BES or the user configuration.

But yes I do support that if you have to work after hours because your employer is "forcing you", you shall get Hourly pay or comp time in the case of salary employees. Otherwise, people, drop the phone!!! The world will continue spinning if you don’t answer the email until the morning or the following Monday!!!
    ___
    SFC. Megabite

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by megabite View Post
    Regarding the messages getting deleted, that’s a feature that could be configured. You can even setup the BB to never delete any messages, but that will depend on the IT Policy on the BES or the user configuration.
    True, but I was talking about memory getting full and old messages getting deleted because of lack of memory for new messages.

megabite no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ping
    Well in that case, old ones are the first to go, after any SMS/MMS messages.
    ___
    SFC. Megabite

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    I get emails all hours of the night and on the weekend. For the most part I'm compensated for it but at the same time with anything that we do there's a little give and take that I consider as well so I don't mind doing it as long as it is within reason. Personally, I still have a hard time not getting a little irritated about the 1am emails but that can't be helped I have users worldwide that I deal with.

smis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    OU812
    My e-mails get deleted when I check my emails at home.
    Once you go BlackBerry you never go back!

huyanhle no está en línea Stack level 2
    My guys base pay includes a high compensation rate because of the expected after-hour usage, but on the weekends there aren't any pressure to answers emails. However there are rewards involved...commission.

I don't think any employer should raise salary due to Blackberry usage, as stated by jonnyxedge, because BB are already generally compensated high enough.

rathompson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249FD6FD
    I'm the operations manager for an engineering firm that is part of a large coporation I expect my field engineers/scientist to respond to emails, text, IM and calls no matter the time or day the message was sent, with out extra compensation.

With that said, when they are in they office they can come and go whenever they please and they can work from home.Their full phone bill is picked up as well. The only stipulation is that they keep their clients happy and their deliverables are completed on time.
    RAT
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ how many of the BB users would be pissed if their employer confiscated their BB? This could happen if the employer chose not to pay OT and their were employees complaining.Or what if the employer has all BB users to sign a contract saying the pay and benefit of after hours BB usage is the ability to use the BB for personal usage at no cost to the user? What if your BB was IT restricted to work only websites and no 3rd party apps allowed? The more you push, the more they(the employer) can push back...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast