... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Cnet users give the 8700 8.7 out of 10. Cnet's review... 7.3. Fair?

Advertisement

saa001 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Cnet has always given ratings that did not make sense. I have seen reviews that listed things in the bad section at the heading of the review and then in the main review proceed to say how wonderful that same "flaw" is.

I have seen reviews that were gushing with praise and then they only gave the item a mediocre rateing. I have also seen an outstanding rateing with a written review that tells you not to buy it because it does not perform well.

It is quite clear that Cnet gives it ratings based on factors other than how well the item performs. The only time it is worth looking at a Cnet review is to look at the users feedback. A prime example is the excellent user rateing for the 8700 while Cnet gave it a considerably less favorable rating.

wordthenerd Guest
    Not to mention that lady is a joke.
    Last edited by bcuzi8paintchips; 11-10-2006 at 05:30 PM.

evilhomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by saa001
    Cnet has always given ratings that did not make sense. I have seen reviews that listed things in the bad section at the heading of the review and then in the main review proceed to say how wonderful that same "flaw" is.

I have seen reviews that were gushing with praise and then they only gave the item a mediocre rateing. I have also seen an outstanding rateing with a written review that tells you not to buy it because it does not perform well.

It is quite clear that Cnet gives it ratings based on factors other than how well the item performs. The only time it is worth looking at a Cnet review is to look at the users feedback. A prime example is the excellent user rateing for the 8700 while Cnet gave it a considerably less favorable rating.
    I agree. CNET is near useless when rating technology. I don't think they actually spend more than an hour or two with a device before writing about it. They certainly don't put any "real world usage" feedback into the review. Many times they penalize the device for not having features that in fact, it does have.

Also, take the user feedback with a grain of salt. You'll really have to use your judgment to find useful feedback sometimes. Many of the posts are from people that have never used the device. I've seen users give a device a 2 because it was "fugly" or not "pimped out" enough. You get my drift. However, you can get some good info from real world users if you read enough of the posts.
    Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. -Homer

cass921 no está en línea Stack level 3
    i dislike cnet's ratings i had a camera that they gave a low review i still go and read the reviews but i don't take them into consideration i don't think they are fair.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    CNET usually gives low ratings...

SSM_Scotch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E29A5E
    I really don't care what the ratings...I look for information/opinions, then form my own.

brianlamar no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204BCE25
    Quote Originally Posted by wordthenerd
    Not to mention that lady is a joke.
    She has a personality of a potato. I don't think she likes Blackberry's that much, she always compares it to the treo and how inferior BB's are to them. And there is always somethng that she hates about the blackberry that gives it low ratings. the pearl she loved, then she said it was nothing ground breaking and everything on the phone is great but she hated suretype. notice when she reviews treo's she always has something nice to say never anything negative.
    Last edited by bcuzi8paintchips; 11-10-2006 at 05:33 PM.