Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't like to sound like a generic everyday hater, but I hate Apple. And ... Smartphone News forum

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D

Advertisement

I don't like to sound like a generic everyday hater, but I hate Apple. And this was long before the iPhone. But that doesn't really matter. The fact of the matter is Apple is finding out that its not possible to have such a device for such a low price without losing money. If they just did the "normal" thing and make the phone figure the cost and make the retail cost just above that. Then subsidize the device easily based on one or two year contract pricing.

Getting involed in this whole pricing thing this is messing up their whole game. And really just makes them look like a bunch of jerks and liars. Like some how you are getting that much of a better product at that much better of a price when you're not.

Kero351 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242ed7b2
    Im pretty sure RIM doesnt set the cost of dataplans for blackberry. The wouldnt make sense since they dont own the network. Thats why t-mobile has a different price than att and so on.

As for the "gouging of america", while its true every compony follows suit generally; there are still others that tend to push further *cough*verizon*cough. At&t charges more because they can. Why is it in this day and age cellphones are still so expensive? It really is not expensive on their end. Its all pure profit. Thats all that can be said.

I personally thing no matter what carrier you go with- in the end they are giving you the rough end of the stick.

As for this being petty- perhaps it is, but for some this is a large point to consider. I am satisfied for what I pay for data with t-mobile. If they charged anymore I would think it was rediculous. Att charges more because they have 3g. I think their prices arent worth the service for me, but someone might find that it suits them. So really its only petty if you think it is. And thats fine and good.

Rodgers is being silly though, you cant deny that.

CountryMud no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249DF3DF
    Actually if I am not mistaken, RIM DOES own the data network, that AT&T, as well as the other carriers must go through with the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Kero351 View Post
    Im pretty sure RIM doesnt set the cost of dataplans for blackberry. The wouldnt make sense since they dont own the network. Thats why t-mobile has a different price than att and so on.

As for the "gouging of america", while its true every compony follows suit generally; there are still others that tend to push further *cough*verizon*cough. At&t charges more because they can. Why is it in this day and age cellphones are still so expensive? It really is not expensive on their end. Its all pure profit. Thats all that can be said.

I personally thing no matter what carrier you go with- in the end they are giving you the rough end of the stick.

As for this being petty- perhaps it is, but for some this is a large point to consider. I am satisfied for what I pay for data with t-mobile. If they charged anymore I would think it was rediculous. Att charges more because they have 3g. I think their prices arent worth the service for me, but someone might find that it suits them. So really its only petty if you think it is. And thats fine and good.

Rodgers is being silly though, you cant deny that.

Kero351 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242ed7b2
    I understand they own the basic technology used, but form what I would assume; it would be leased to the providers. perhaps im wrong.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    I'm pretty sure its roughly similar to an MSRP price of almost any consumer product. The manufacturer sets a price as a baseline and any resellers are made to follow certain guidlines.

By trying to charge more for monthly use I'm pretty sure Rogers went too far, similar to a reseller charging far below MSRP for a product.

The interesting thing is that in the world of retail, resellers are fairly free to mark things up to line their own pockets. Like I said, a really crude comparison, but I'm glad Rogers is getting the negative attention it should.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    That's why I hate AT&T.......They are a bunch of hoarding S.O.B's.

This is ridicules; come to think of it, we all are paying a lot of money for cell phones. At the end of the year i have spent $1,476.......Ouch.....

you know that att doesnt decide what they are going to charge you for data use, its actually apple saying what its going to cost you, the same reason danger does with the sidekick, and rim does with the blackberry. its because you actually have to connect to their servers to get your visual voicemail and stuff. thats just what i understand from reading my policies at work and everything. so sorry AT&T customers, blame steve jobs, lol
    Bold - 5.0.0.93 / 8310 - 4.5.0.81 ---- AT&T
    8330 - 4.5.0.77 ---- Sprint

Blackberry's are a lifestyle

jeff.kaiser88@yahoo.com

CharlieV no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post

Over the course of a two-year contract, the least an original iPhone user paid was $1,839 for hardware and monthly fees. The same base package including text messages for the iPhone 3G is $1,999.

[Read More]
    The real question (in my little mind, anyway) is how the iPhone's costs will compare with the Bold's. The data packages (for AT&T) cost the same, but Apple's pushmail alternative to BES is essentially free (for windows server installations). Unless your company has BES, getting BES service means hosting your mail for a fee (10-15 a month for each account) or installing a BES server (hundreds to thousands). In that light, the 3G iPhone doesn't look too bad.

But I can't do without my keyboard shortcuts and one-handed operation, so I am no Apple fanboy. Promise.

ftx437 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2454c8a2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have a feeling that apple has had a lot to do with the pricing

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

You guys are too funny hehehe. This sort of argument can take us to another civil war. Lmao. Can't we all just get along and sing black sabath's paranoid? And smoke some good ol' weed? lol

axsdeny no está en línea Stack level 1

What would you suggest?

So what if the monthly plan price is higher than the original iPhone's monthly plan.

What would you suggest in getting other than the iPhone? Getting a Blackberry?
    Get real... The data plan is the same price for BB and iPhone.

For me, once I have browsed on the iPhone, there was no returning to BBs.

axsdeny no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Over the course of a two-year contract, the least an original iPhone user paid was $1,839 for hardware and monthly fees. The same base package including text messages for the iPhone 3G is $1,999.

[Read More]
    Have you priced the Blackberrys?

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Quote Originally Posted by axsdeny View Post
    For me, once I have browsed on the iPhone, there was no returning to BBs.
    You haven't surfed on a Thunder yet...Just you wait you'll come right back

jdiiams no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a04078

some cons for the iphone

I've been reading everyone's posts, and havent seen some of the more important points.. I'm a tightwad. anyone who knows me knows that. That's the reason i loathed the iphone even before it was launched. I didn't like the idea that if I wanted an app for my phone, i had to pay APPLE to download it. If i wanted a ringtone, I had to pay APPLE to get it. not only if i wanted to delete stuff, i would have to hook it up to itunes... not fun either. Yes, the iphone bread a new line of programmers for the iphone. but what about those who have been providing great stuff for FREE over the past 5 years or so? My first them was one from Cherrichiodo... FREEEEEEEEE... I wonder what a theme for the iphone would cost? 30, 40, 5o dollars? how many of you would be surprised to see that? not many I would assume. How much does a CUSTOM theme cost? 10 bucks? a whole helluva lot cheaper than the iphone. I have always felt that the blackberry right out of the box was right for anyone! the iphone was made to make a snobby class of cell phone users. well, all those snobby iphone users have come into my store more than a few times saying that they couldn't figure it out. but 15 mins later, they had the BB basics with ease!

another lame thing about the iphone, only avail in COR stores for ATT. so, have fun waiting in line for a few days and go throw down some plastic for a phone that you will eventually hate.

Go JLlama!!! BOOOOOOOO I phone!!!

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by cornelious0_0 View Post
    Now that I look at the info again, aren't you getting a LOT more data with the iphone? I only get 5MB a month for $25 here in Canada with Sasktel...maybe its just our messed up rates making the data look like a good deal.
    the data plans are the same now for the iphone and bbs for $30 you get unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by krikor222 View Post
    Well on a Blackberry 5MB goes a very long way, due to RIM's ingenius compression methods.
    On an iPhone, to get the same experience you need at least 100x more data!
    5mb goes a long way? i use that in less than a week. i average around 70mb a month in data.

Quote Originally Posted by rmerck View Post
    I'm enjoying the Unlimited EVERYTHING plan with VZW, $150 for unlimited minutes, txt, data, whatever.

Just no GPS

ETA: I concur with the above post that pricing isn't an argument I use in BB vs. iPhone
    holy expensive batman! we pay less than that for TWO bb's with gps services!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieV View Post
    The real question (in my little mind, anyway) is how the iPhone's costs will compare with the Bold's. The data packages (for AT&T) cost the same, but Apple's pushmail alternative to BES is essentially free (for windows server installations). Unless your company has BES, getting BES service means hosting your mail for a fee (10-15 a month for each account) or installing a BES server (hundreds to thousands). In that light, the 3G iPhone doesn't look too bad.

But I can't do without my keyboard shortcuts and one-handed operation, so I am no Apple fanboy. Promise.
    if you're deciding to use a phone for business purposes then the cost of BES service shouldn't be an issue. the apple enterprise software is NOT free, it's $200 for businesses. in constrast to that, you can get BES express free which allows you to hook up 30 phones to a server. BES service includes a lot of software and abilities, as well as security, with the service. if you own a company you should already have a server anway.

also, if you're spending $10-15 a month on EACH email, you're getting ripped off. since you're referring to these costs, i'm going to assume you're working at or own a small business. there are plenty of hosting options out there that are very inexpensive. i just bought a service that gives upwards of 30 emails, 750gb of space, and more for something like $149 for two years. look around, you can save a lot of money.

this of course isn't a issue for larger companies, they don't care about this kind of money.

also remember to add into the cost of the personal iphone the $99/149 price to purchace mobileme to get push email on your phone. plus your annual fee. it's not standard lol.

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by krikor222 View Post
    Well in our case, here in Canada, you can only get the devices on a 36-month agreement, with the specific plans they have available, at the same pricing as everywhere else in the world if not more! (existing clients might have the advantage of buying the hardware and keeping their same plan)
    Ouch!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast