Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Originally Posted by theOutsider We all know that Verizon and Sprint have gotten the shaft ... Smartphone News forum

mike22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

Thumbs up

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by theOutsider View Post
    We all know that Verizon and Sprint have gotten the shaft before when it comes to launching an updated Operating System (Remember how long it took you to get 4.2?).

The release of 4.3/4.5/whatever you would like to call it, doesn't look any more promising.

Today, the newest versions of the new OS were made available to various sources.
    SPRINT will be getting the curve first,i saw it,JUNE
    Upon inspecting all of the Operating Systems, one thing jumped out to me. There was no 4.3/4.5/whatever you would like to call it for the 8703 or 8830 devices, however, every other GSM device was there (8700, 8100, 8110, 8120, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8800, 8820).

Using a best guess, it seems as if you guys will have to wait yet once again, once this "infamous" Operating System finally makes it to the light of day.

If anything makes it's way across my radar, I will obviously post, but these are "supposedly" the "final beta". However, that being said, I have personally noticed numerous issues already, which may or may not be accurate. I am going to re-install it and see if they persist.

On another side note for CDMA users:
    1. I have heard very strong rumors that the 8330 will be launching on Sprint "the 3rd week of April". So, use this as JUST a guesstimate at this point, but I would say that would point around to.....April 20th.
    2. This is where it gets interesting. I have ALSO heard that Verizon will be receiveing the Curve BEFORE Sprint, meaning, if these estimates are right, we could see the Curve launching on Verizon within the next few weeks (not too sure how long of an exclusitivity period Verizon would have over Sprint. But then again, there is a small chance in hell that this is mis-information and that Sprint will be launching the Curve first, but I highly doubt that).
    3. Nextel Users....There is also strong rumor floating around that at the end of Q3 this year, you will be seeing a new BlackBerry. No word on model number, however, it is said to be built on the 83XX Series Platform, include WiFi AND GPS, and have Direct Connect, along with staying on the iDen network. That is however, if Sprint is going to be able to reach the summer deadline to keep Nextel up and running, before being shut down by the US Government.

More information as it arises...

BTW, please, do not PM ME or ask for the Operating System, as I am sorry, but I will not be distributing this software. I have too much to risk just POSTING this information, let alone actually distributing it. Esp. since PinStack forbids any sort of distribution of such.
    SPRINT will get the curve in june i saw it

jayroc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D388CE

4.3/4.5 os with Sprint and Nextel

I believe T-Mobile is buying Sprint and Nextel so be aware that this might setback any os upgrades for them. i said "I believe" Im hopeing someone can confirm this.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    That's OK, everyone gets their turn at being first at something. I'll have to wait to get the equalizer on my media player and some of the other goodies, but I've had video capabilities and 4.3 on my 8130 while the 8100 users didn't. Someone will always have something better, we just have to take turns. Plus, like others have said, you guys that get the new OS first can help iron out the wrinkles for us CDMA users!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74
    Well. This has become a great discussion. But to be honest, I believe that the OS in general is released at the same time for all carriers, and the individual carriers are responsible for their own disrtibution.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

JjcampNR no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by theOutsider View Post
    Many people are thinking that as soon as they upgrade to 4.3/4.5, they will have HTML email...But that obviously is not the case. Another instance of people getting their hopes up.
    RIM has also likely disabled (but not removed) HTML email support from BES SP5 and pushed it to SP6 due out around June/July. I'm not sure what the folks over at RIM are up to, but I really hope they haven't been caught asleep at the wheel.

With the iPhone 2.0 firmware update (and possibly a 3G+GPS hardware update) due around June and adding ActiveSync compatibility along with Cisco VPN, WPA/WPA2 authentication, and a number of other features aimed at the enterprise, RIM better get their act together. I've been a supporter/user/admin of RIM products for a long time and have been denying user requests for iPhones since they currently lack the ability to fully work with Exchange (no, I'm not turning on IMAP for a phone), but once iPhones get ActiveSync that problem goes out the window. Toss in the cost savings using our existing Exchange 2007+ActiveSync servers over the added licensing costs of BES+CALS and it starts to tip towards a financially responsible decision to turn off our BES servers.

If RIM can step up and get their new 9xxx devices out, and if they can realistically compete with the iPhone on looks, features, and general sexyness, then I can continue to offer users a viable alternative. If that happens I say sorry, Blackberry is our corporate standard so here's one of the nice new devices that's just a good as the iPhone if not better. Otherwise, the angry mobs may have enough momentum behind them to break down the datacenter doors.

Let's go RIM - I can only put myself on the line for so long. While I do appreciate the stability of the Blackberry devices, users want the sexy new features, big beautiful screens, storage/media capability, and so on. In closing, I'd just like to say to RIM one thing....HELP ME HELP YOU!

mike22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

Smile Cdma

CDMA PEOPLE DID NOT LOSE OUT BECAUSE WE GOT THE 4.3 OS FIRST,OF COURSE WE WILL GET THE UPDATE LAST,BECAUSE gsm PEOPLE DO NOT EVEN HAVE IT,AND THE CURVE WILL BE AT SPRINT FIRST AROUND JUNE,TY

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by jayroc View Post
    I believe T-Mobile is buying Sprint and Nextel so be aware that this might setback any os upgrades for them. i said "I believe" Im hopeing someone can confirm this.
    Yeah, right now it's just rumors but I posted this on another thread.

Bla1ze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ya..NO!
    Theirs NOTHING here that hasn't been posted in one way or another either on Pinstack or any other site...Basically breaking down to all rumors with no definitive truth behind any of this...I dunno why anyone would be digging this or any other information on it for that matter at this point..theirs nothing here we have not heard before...and I have to sway with mike22 a little bit here as well...CDMA has had 4.3 for a while although not on the 8703 or the 8830...the 8130 devices came loaded with it...it may not be the "truly" finalized version at this point...also The Outsider....you posted it as being 4.3/4.5 whatever you wanna call it....buck up and say what it is at this point if you truly do have it....you have the ability to take a screen shot of the OS with no possible way of shall we say being "caught"...show us what version it is...4.3.1...or 4.5.

PS: I'm in no way calling you a liar or anything like that, I have no doubt that theOutsider may truly be an "insider" I'm just simply asking you to provide with us all something to go by other then words on a forum...I could post that it will drop on ALL GSM carriers tomorrow...that don't mean ANYONE would believe me without some definitive proof...nor does it make it true.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 03-08-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by JjcampNR View Post
    RIM has also likely disabled (but not removed) HTML email support from BES SP5 and pushed it to SP6 due out around June/July. I'm not sure what the folks over at RIM are up to, but I really hope they haven't been caught asleep at the wheel.

With the iPhone 2.0 firmware update (and possibly a 3G+GPS hardware update) due around June and adding ActiveSync compatibility along with Cisco VPN, WPA/WPA2 authentication, and a number of other features aimed at the enterprise, RIM better get their act together. I've been a supporter/user/admin of RIM products for a long time and have been denying user requests for iPhones since they currently lack the ability to fully work with Exchange (no, I'm not turning on IMAP for a phone), but once iPhones get ActiveSync that problem goes out the window. Toss in the cost savings using our existing Exchange 2007+ActiveSync servers over the added licensing costs of BES+CALS and it starts to tip towards a financially responsible decision to turn off our BES servers.

If RIM can step up and get their new 9xxx devices out, and if they can realistically compete with the iPhone on looks, features, and general sexyness, then I can continue to offer users a viable alternative. If that happens I say sorry, Blackberry is our corporate standard so here's one of the nice new devices that's just a good as the iPhone if not better. Otherwise, the angry mobs may have enough momentum behind them to break down the datacenter doors.

Let's go RIM - I can only put myself on the line for so long. While I do appreciate the stability of the Blackberry devices, users want the sexy new features, big beautiful screens, storage/media capability, and so on. In closing, I'd just like to say to RIM one thing....HELP ME HELP YOU!
    Regardless of their future enterprise capabilities, the iPhone will still be hindered by a lack of a tactile keyboard. Sure you'll get those who will jump ship but don't think for a second the flood gates will open. Business centric people like myself will remain loyal to tactile keyboards. I tried the iPhone for a few days. No way I'm sending several hundred emails a week on it. My $.02.

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71 View Post
    R

Regardless of their future enterprise capabilities, the iPhone will still be hindered by a lack of a tactile keyboard. Sure you'll get those who will jump ship but don't think for a second the flood gates will open. Business centric people like myself will remain loyal to tactile keyboards. I tried the iPhone for a few days. No way I'm sending several hundred emails a week on it. My $.02.
    The iphone is not even secure... Its been hacked too many times remotely and locally for it to be consider a corp phone over BB
    BB8900 is mine!

Bla1ze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ya..NO!
    Quote Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
    The iphone is not even secure... Its been hacked too many times remotely and locally for it to be consider a corp phone over BB
    lol even the file structure on an iPhone is NOT safe...any IT Admin that allows the iPhone on it's system has got to have a screw loose....Jobs proclaimed it to be this ultra safe, ultra secure device...Any iPhone with axxs to the internet is an open door at this point.

drew4flt72 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by PiMPSP View Post
    Theirs NOTHING here that hasn't been posted in one way or another either on Pinstack or any other site...Basically breaking down to all rumors with no definitive truth behind any of this...I dunno why anyone would be digging this or any other information on it for that matter at this point..theirs nothing here we have not heard before...and I have to sway with mike22 a little bit here as well...CDMA has had 4.3 for a while although not on the 8703 or the 8830...the 8130 devices came loaded with it...it may not be the "truly" finalized version at this point...also The Outsider....you posted it as being 4.3/4.5 whatever you wanna call it....buck up and say what it is at this point if you truly do have it....you have the ability to take a screen shot of the OS with no possible way of shall we say being "caught"...show us what version it is...4.3.1...or 4.5.

PS: I'm in no way calling you a liar or anything like that, I have no doubt that theOutsider may truly be an "insider" I'm just simply asking you to provide with us all something to go by other then words on a forum...I could post that it will drop on ALL GSM carriers tomorrow...that don't mean ANYONE would believe me without some definitive proof...nor does it make it true.
    Well, this IS a forum. You know, discussions and stuff like that. We're just passing on info to those who don't know or haven't heard or are not sure. So, why do you have your panties all in a bunch??? Because he won't provide screenshots for you??? If you indeed say it doesn't matter and this is all unsubstantiated rumor and whatnot then why would you care???

This is a forum and not the Minister of Information. You're calling him out in one sentence and then you're saying "I'm not calling you a liar...." in the next. You're not the only one who wants "definitive proof" but saying basically (and I'll paraphrase), you're tell him to show me screenshots or shut up. WTF??

NowVoyager no está en línea Stack level 1
    Unless someone leads in with "this has been confirmed" and has credible sources to back them up, it's usually a waste of time to get all up in the air about something that may or may not ever be. But, that being said, the solid info is MUCH appreciated.

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5
    I gotta agree with the outsider on his info..Patience is the key
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

JjcampNR no está en línea Stack level 3
    I know this is a BB site, I prefer RIM devices over the iPhone which is why I still use my 8100, but there are a large number of users out there who don't feel the same way. My post was directed towards those corporate environments with large numbers of users, or particular types of companies, where it's not always 100% up to the local admin(s) on what is and is not implemented. My environment is 4000+ users, global offices, and there are a total of about 25 technical IT people (not including management from directors to CIOs to President). It's not always what I want that becomes the law of the land - there are small discussions, global change control meetings, management meetings, and company wide senior management meetings to deicde on IT policy. Let's continue...
    Quote Originally Posted by PiMPSP View Post
    lol even the file structure on an iPhone is NOT safe...any IT Admin that allows the iPhone on it's system has got to have a screw loose....Jobs proclaimed it to be this ultra safe, ultra secure device...Any iPhone with axxs to the internet is an open door at this point.
    After reading this reply and some of PiMPSP's other replies I'm not sure if the point of PiMPSP's posts are to flame, or if they're just completely childish, but since he's saying I have a screw loose let's just get something straight: Yes the iPhone has been hacked. But so has Windows, OS X, Linux, Cisco devices, Google's Android, Tivo, PSP, Xbox 360, and yes - even both BES and the Blackberry handheld OS - which you're arguing are so much more secure than the iPhone. Here are a few links for more info on BES/BB hacks since I don't typically go around making claims without providing some information to back them up.:
    http://www.frsirt.com/english/advisories/2006/0011 (DoS attack)
    http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2005/Dec/1015426.html (Remote code execution)
    http://www.securitytracker.com/alert...c/1015428.html (Remote DoS)
    http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2007/Mar/1017748.html (Remote DoS)

Perhaps you'd like to provide some additional information on how'why the iPhone file system is so absolutely and laughably insecure and why RIM's is inherantly more secure? People tend to try hacking the iPhone more than RIM devices because since release it has always been aimed at the consumer, unlike the Blackberry. More users, compared with the iPhone, currently get their Blackberry handhelds from their companies. Hacking a company owned device may have a number of consequences that hacking your own iPhone doesn't (like losing your job). So by your thought process if a device has been hacked we shouldn't use it for corporate uses. Let me shut off all my Windows servers, Linux/Oracle database servers, power off my network - and while we're a it the internet which heavily relies on Cisco equipment. I'll also send Google an email letting them know they should throw in the towel on their new Android OS; after all, since people have already hacked it, why bother developing it at all?

I agree any iPhone connected to the internet is a security risk - but how is this any different than a BB with internet access? Blackberry devices also support Java which adds another target for security attacks, so I'm just not seeing how an iPhone is SO MUCH less secure compared to a BB that the mere thought of using it as a corporate device (especially considering the cost savings on BES/CALs and also the cost of supporting additional hardware/software since we already use/support Exchange for email) is so horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71
    I completely agree with you. This has been one of my major points of contention when discussing the iPhone as a corporate device. I've used one and never been able to feel comfortable on the keyboard even after periods of heavy use. I also don't think it's nearly as portable as something like the 8100. The only thing that can possibly fix the keyboard problem (besides an actual keyboard) would be the addition of some really well implemented haptics and a slight re-work of the GUI. I'm not suggesting this is a feature to expect, it's just a possibility of how the keyboard problem could be worked out.
    Last edited by JjcampNR; 03-09-2008 at 03:34 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast