via techradar.com Application Centre and Storefront lie behind the BlackBerry Storm The new battleground in ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Can BlackBerry's app store help topple iPhone?

Advertisement

via techradar.com

Application Centre and Storefront lie behind the BlackBerry Storm
    The new battleground in the mobile market is applications. Gone are the days when offering push email and calendar syncing was enough to get the vote of the smartphone fraternity. Whether you want to Twitter or Flickr, downloading a dedicated widget is where it's at.

Apple's iPhone has the App Store, T-Mobile's G1 has the Android Market – and now RIM is getting in on the act with two dedicated app outlets to complement its highly anticipated BlackBerry Storm. So what can we expect from the king of corporate communications?

Inside the BlackBerry Application Centre
    Well, if you're won over by the Storm's new mix of consumer-cool and enterprise experience you'll soon find the on-device Application Centre. Working with the Storm's new 4.7 operating system, the Application Centre pulls down an up-to-date list of available applications from RIM's server. Unlike the iPhone's App Store, the Application Centre is hosted by the network provider – in the case of the Storm, Vodafone – so the network has complete control over what is available.

Users will be able to browse the list and install apps direct from the Applications screen with a single click, receiving onscreen prompts when an update becomes available. Not surprisingly, social networking and messaging apps dominate the Storm's profile. Most instant messaging platforms are catered for (Google Talk, Yahoo! Messenger, AOL and Windows Live) as well as the ever-present Facebook and Flickr. You can also download regular staples such as a YouTube app that integrates with the Storm's video camera and Google Maps. This list is likely to grow as Vodafone builds up its catalogue and offers more paid-for apps that can be charged to your monthly bill.

[read more]

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    I think, provided they keep up on it and put some good and useful stuff on there, it'll end up being a good market contender. Guess only time will really tell.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I see it kinda like this... every fastfood chain has burgers & fries... It simply comes down to which you like better that keeps u coming back. B'cuz u are tied to ur device via contract, that prevents jumping back and forth more than most factors (except cost)

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Once this happens, will we still be able to add apps thru pinstack ota or just any random link in the site. Stuff that maybe the BlackBerry centre doesn't have?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    This is without a doubt THE most exciting news, along with the upcoming release of the Storm, that I have witnessed from RIM ever. I am very eager to watch this unfold before my very eyes. I will say with certainty, that the moment the Storm becomes available through AT&T, I am a buyer.
    via Archer's BlackBerry 8310
    (wap.pinstack.com)~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    .............. I will say with certainty, that the moment the Storm becomes available through AT&T, I am a buyer.
    via Archer's BlackBerry 8310
    (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's a given, L. We'd be shocked if you weren't one of the first.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

jore-dan no está en línea Stack level 1
    While this will no doubt be a great feature and much appreciated by the less "tech savvy" BB users, to me, the beauty of a BlackBerry is that you aren't forced by RIM or your service provider to pay for every little app you want. So much open source and freeware stuff is available out there, that it was pretty much the main reason I got this phone. In my eyes, companies who make it easy/free to better their product will always be head-and-shoulders abouve those who over-charge for everything. *coughapplecough*
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

xattica no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GA
    The storm looks nice. But a appstore without WiFi can be horrible.

gixxerjoe no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    I think this will help. It will be nice to have a app store on your blackberry. I belive the launch of the storm will topple the iphone anyways. The iphone has some appeling aspects to it. But I think the storms total capabilitys smoke the iphones. The app store is just a piece of the total package that contributes to it. With the touch screen I wonder what new apps and games will be instore for us. I can't wait. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~