[via bcheights.com ] The BlackBerry Curve (8320) from T-Mobile fuses the functionality of a BlackBerry ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Boston college newspaper says "Curve is great for students"

Advertisement

[via bcheights.com] The BlackBerry Curve (8320) from T-Mobile fuses the functionality of a BlackBerry with a full QWERTY keyboard and a compact form factor. While the introduction of the Pearl offered a smaller, more convenient device for the masses, BlackBerry filled the void in its product line with the Curve - a happy medium between the Pearl and 8800. A 2.0 megapixel camera, music player, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity round out the Curve's feature set. Perhaps the most interesting feature is T-Mobile's HotSpot @Home. Harnessing the Wi-Fi connectivity of the device, for $19.99 a month, T-Mobile allows the user to make unlimited calls from their cell phone while in a Wi-Fi network.

BlackBerry successfully departed from the flawed keyboard on the 8800 series by returning to a raised keyboard with plenty of space between the keys. Typing is awkward at first, but within a week of use you can master it and be typing quickly and effectively.

Web browsing is usually quick and convenient, and no other device can beat the BlackBerry's "push" e-mail service. Messages sent to a customer's phone are instantly received - not just when e-mail is checked by an e-mail client.

The operating system is easy to use, but the "day" view offered (showing messages and calendar) is easily rivaled by that of Windows Mobile. You cannot add your tasks list to this view, and it only displays the next two events on your calendar.

During review, the phone froze at times, especially when using pre-installed Java applications such as Google Talk. While this was frustrating, it only happened twice over the review period.

The form factor is small, only slightly larger and thicker than a Motorola Razr. While the chrome around the camera and screen looks nice, it scratches easily.
    While there is no screen on the back of the phone for taking "self-portraits," Research in Motion smartly added a mirror on the back to mitigate the lack of display.

The media player works exceedingly well, and the device comes equipped with a MicroSD slot. The only unfortunate design flaw here is the fact that the card sits under the battery - which makes swapping a card a bit more of a project than it needs to be.

[Read More]

surfanimal no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

Re: Boston college newspaper says "Curve is great for students"

Thanks for the article hayden!

I agree with all that was said minus one thing - the fact that they think the 88xx series keyboard is flawed. The same thing that they said about the curve can be said about the 8800 series, that it takes about a week to get used to it.

penpower no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Boston college newspaper says "Curve is great for students"

Quote Originally Posted by surfanimal View Post
    Thanks for the article hayden!

I agree with all that was said minus one thing - the fact that they think the 88xx series keyboard is flawed. The same thing that they said about the curve can be said about the 8800 series, that it takes about a week to get used to it.
    second that. I switch between my 8300 and 8820 once a while (maybe every two days). I have found that the difference between these two keyboards become less and less obvious to me. However, I have to say 8700's keyboard feels much better than 88xx and 83xx (just my thoughts)