Found this article titled, "10 Reasons Android Can Beat Blackberry". It has some pretty interesting ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Blackberry vs Android

Advertisement

Found this article titled, "10 Reasons Android Can Beat Blackberry". It has some pretty interesting stuff in it and I wanna get some input from others it. I agree with the article that Android being open-source can lead to a big change in the overall wireless market.

Here's a few excerpts from the article to get you reading:

2. Android is open source
    We can't discount the fact that Android is open source. RIM is the only company that controls the BlackBerry, which means only its decision makers decide what companies will get. Android allows any vendor to create its own Android experience.

3. Remember Chrome OS
    Google's Chrome OS might first start out as an operating system for netbooks, but I don't think it will take too much time before the company expands its offering. Android would seem like a natural mobile partner for Chrome OS. Imagine doing work using Chrome OS, transferring it to Android and going about the day. That should appeal to several companies.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    RIM certainly cannot ignore the potential of Android and number 9 is probably one of the BlackBerry's biggest problem....BlackBerry is outdated, the browser rendering is blah and their version of html email just doesn't compare to others like iPhone...but comparing BB to windows mobile devices...ouch!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ the ONE thing that has continued to bother me is the HTML emails. I'm not sure about anyone else, bc this is the first time I've ever mentioned it, but mine almost never comes across as HTML automatically. I have to click menu, get images and then click YES, I know what the internet is

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    i only agree, again is that the UI is outdated. The number of apps, isnt a major concern to me. As i recall, apple has realized that developers are putting out tons of crap and is about to put a stop to that. The iphone looks furutistic, but is till in the early 2005 as far as handling multiple jobs.

tennessee31 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I disagree with number 5 on the list (more models doesn't necessarily = better product), and number 7, which compares the "futuristic" look of the iPhone to a BB (aren't we talking about Android, not the iPhone?), but there's no doubt that RIM's software needs a major update. Web browsing on a BB is becoming pathetic.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    I think RIM is finally starting to realize that their devices aren't just in the hands of suit-and-tie executives anymore, but the average consumer. The latter being the pickiest when it comes to aesthetics, the former for functionality. I would like to see some more intuitive changes to the UI, but hope it wouldn't come at the expense of features/functionality. Devices like the Storm and 8520 I think, are RIM's attempts at reaching out to other portions of the market.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Thanks

Great article, I love reading this type of stuff. It helps me stay in check with my own personal trends.

5. Ubiquity
    Although users can buy a BlackBerry that works on any major carrier, Google expects to have 20 Android-based phones on store shelves by the end of 2009. That number could more than double by the end of 2010 if vendors see profitable returns on Android phones. In under a year, that would mean more types of Android-based devices would be on store shelves than BlackBerry smartphones. More choices could lead to better software, and thus a better chance of Android competing against the BlackBerry.

I think this will hurt them and not help them. Actually I think it's hurt RIM also. I've posted b4 how they are turning off customers by doing this. It's confusing.

7. Android looks to the future
    Say what you will about the iPhone, but it has appealed to enterprise customers. When it's sitting next to the BlackBerry Bold at AT&T stores, it looks futuristic. It looks like the next generation. And it appeals to what people want—a touch-screen with engaging features. Android-based devices have followed Apple down that path. They look like they're the future. They appeal to users. That could be important in the future

I agree with this opinion as we all know since the Pearl was first released not much has changed. It's getting old in cell phone terms.

9. The outdated BlackBerry
    Following that logic, I'd contend that BlackBerry software is a little outdated. It's slow to be updated, it features the same basic experience of earlier BlackBerry smartphones, and it fails to provide an easy input style of the kind that's found on the iPhone and Android-based phones. The BlackBerry Bold and Curve compare more effectively with Windows Mobile devices, rather than the iPhone. That's a problem. RIM's phone software is in serious need of an update. And soon.

Haha Well? Guess they feel like I do. (above)

10. It's Google
    Google is, well, Google. It has billions of dollars of cash on hand. It has set its sights on the enterprise. It has online tools that can be easily integrated into its mobile platform. Simply put, it has the money and the vision it needs to revolutionize the space. I wouldn't count it out. And neither should RIM.

While true, this does not mean automatic success. If they don't develop friendly and more importantly a functional UI people will be turned off b/c it will be difficult to use for the average person who is not a cell phone geek.

madlibran no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    207CDCA8
    I love my Blackberry. I just want RIM to do a few things:

1. Improve the browser on their devices.
    2. Give more space for applications. What would be ideal is to provide a way so that applications can be stored on and run from
    memory cards.
    3. Dont lose functionality of devices in the name of "hippier" devices.

Whatever other new smartphone out there, comes and dominates the market, I am not going to part with Blackberry, whatever comes, I might just go down with the ship.

somestone no está en línea Stack level 2
    UUUUUUuuuuu
    this post is like water and oil...
    It doesnt mix very well.....
    lol

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by somestone View Post
    UUUUUUuuuuu
    this post is like water and oil...
    It doesnt mix very well.....
    lol
    Not sure what you mean. It illustrates some key differences between the two platforms and even the devices. Although some are very much the original author's opinion, it does illustrate that Android, a relative upstart, has some real potential to be a heavy-hitter in the mobile device market.
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Android-based phones are here to stay, no question in my mind. They have a lot to offer and will grow as the future is shaped by the merger of laptop computing and cell phone use. I think this is why we are seeing Google get into the OS business. 2010 will be a good year with lots of changes. I'm hoping September is when we get to see the first new product to merge the two even more.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    ^^ the ONE thing that has continued to bother me is the HTML emails. I'm not sure about anyone else, bc this is the first time I've ever mentioned it, but mine almost never comes across as HTML automatically. I have to click menu, get images and then click YES, I know what the internet is

I thought this what dependant on the email you used, not the BB browser.
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

jhutton12 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7BB5F94A
    I also will never part with my blackberry! Things may come and go but my berry will always be the work mule of my life and its security! Rims progress is slow but efficient at the end with sturdy support and security. I rather go with something guaranteed than with fluff technology just to keep up with the masses demands. Blackberries were made for secure corporate use and no one beats them at that! No one! Believe me. Now the public wants to force their hands? Come! No one forced us to by a blackberry! Why if not happy should we have gotten iphones then? I know rim can improve and should improve but not for the frequent reasons we would like them to.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106