We at Nobody's Business first got spammed on our BlackBerry about three weeks ago. Since ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

BlackBerry SPAM - A ghost in the BlackBerry?

Advertisement

We at Nobody's Business first got spammed on our BlackBerry about three weeks ago. Since then, we have received scores of the junk messages. Some pretend to tout a penny stock (though there's no contact to call) and many more are reams of pure nonsense text -- about 11 kilobytes of it in a single message, with a half dozen system-jamming attachments. Turns out, we are one of thousands of BlackBerry users who have suddenly found themselves paying in costly kilobytes for the privilege of receiving junk mail on their handsets. Tech forums on BlackBerrys are filling up with postings about the new annoyance. One Cingular customer in the U.S. claimed to "know" that the sudden onslaught -- which seems to have started universally on Nov. 10 or 11 -- was the result of a server at Research In Motion, which makes the handhelds, being hacked. "It's just not true," says a RIM spokesman, who requested his name not be used. "It's just speculation." -- Continue Reading

Related articles:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...hey_doing.html
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...u_how_you.html

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: BlackBerry SPAM - A ghost in the BlackBerry?

Interesting... thanks Hayden

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Yeah, thanks Hayden.

jmutiger no está en línea Stack level 1

People think we're idiots for opening the e-mails, but sometimes, you just pull the device out of the holster and it automatically shows the new message. Quite annoying I'd say.

Is there a way to disable the feature that automatically opens an e-mail when removing it from the holster? It seems like it's only junk that I'm opening this way.

Jon

Buk_eye01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E85DB9

Thanks Hayden

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I don't want to admit it, but I've never received spam on my BlackBerry.net address.

What RIM ought to do is incorporate an allowed list into BIS, whereby a person would upload a csv file with permissible email addresses to receive from, and all other emails would be automatically trashed.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Oh please...

I don't buy what RIM is saying on this.

If RIM really DID want to put a resolution to this quickly, then they could.

Don't tell me that RIM can't develop a spam filter thats as kick butt as the GMAIL and other spam filters are...

I am still standing by my sources comment of "RIM really isn't making it a priority".

Quote:
    Over at RIM, its spokesman says the firm is "making the necessary adjustments to our filters." He also suggests the problem is minimal because the spam messages are two kb each, so BlackBerry owners can tell that they're spam and aren't charged if they don't open them.

Then Do It. And I am on unlimited data, so I don't care about "being charged for it", however, I do care that it's happening in the first place and big inconvenience.

QUOTE:
    Still, BlackBerry users, such as one Globe and Mail reader who e-mailed in last week, wonder just how coincidental it can be. "I say weirdly coincidental because e-mail addresses which are not used publicly or posted anywhere are all starting to get spam, and all on the 11th. I have a feeling that something is going on over at RIM."

I Agree...And Like I Said, I Am Standing By My Sources Comment.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Quote Originally Posted by jmutiger
    People think we're idiots for opening the e-mails, but sometimes, you just pull the device out of the holster and it automatically shows the new message. Quite annoying I'd say.

Is there a way to disable the feature that automatically opens an e-mail when removing it from the holster? It seems like it's only junk that I'm opening this way.

Jon
    I didn't know the BB would automatically open an E-mail when removing from the holster...interesting!

I agree, if RIM can have such an awesome application like the "real-time" E-mail, then an awesome spam filter should be available as well.

fiz_x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21a311e6

I've been getting spammed with sms messages lately...getting kinda pissed about it. Ive tried contacting Tmobile but the problem is they all come from different sources, so they are saying that I have no options short of completely disabling SMS messages. Any ideas?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by fiz_x
    I've been getting spammed with sms messages lately...getting kinda pissed about it. Ive tried contacting Tmobile but the problem is they all come from different sources, so they are saying that I have no options short of completely disabling SMS messages. Any ideas?
    What kind of SMS spams?

floridadomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317ce3cd

If I get an e-mail while in the holster, it also opens the e-mail when I take it out of the holster. I too have wondered if this can be disabled.