Numerous “CrackBerry” addicts on Bay Street and beyond had withdrawal symptoms Wednesday as BlackBerry service ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

BlackBerry service interrupted yesterday

Advertisement

Numerous “CrackBerry” addicts on Bay Street and beyond had withdrawal symptoms Wednesday as BlackBerry service from Rogers Wireless Communications Inc. was down for several hours. Spokeswoman Odette Coleman said this afternoon that “services are coming back up.”

“Our users will be experiencing full services shortly,” she said. “It’s taking a little while, but it’s over. It’s done.”
    That’s good news for some of the key players in Canada’s biggest-ever takeover battle.

“You can imagine how many messages I’m getting per day right now,” said Bruce Drysdale, a public affairs official at Inco Ltd., the Toronto-based nickel miner whose massive bid for Falconbridge Ltd. expires at 8 p.m. tomorrow night.

“A public affairs person, in the middle of an M&A battle, and your blackberry goes down,” he said, adding that Inco CEO Scott Hand has a BlackBerry on the same network.

Inco is in the midst of deciding what to do about its offer, after rival European bidder Xstrata PLC increased its bid on Tuesday.

It may be some consolation that Xstrata’s financial advisors also lost BlackBerry service, as did officials at Falconbridge.

Falconbridge spokesman Denis Couture, who has been wrapped up in a non-stop whirlwind of meetings and telephone calls, did not realize there was service disruption until a reporter called him and he scrolled through his messages.

Rogers Communications spokeswoman Taanta Gupta said the problem was caused by a fibre cut.

“Traffic on BlackBerries goes between our data network and RIM (Research in Motion) on a third-party fibre,” she explained. The third party in this case is Allstream, and there was a physical cut in the fibre Wednesday morning.

Gupta did not know the location of the cut or how it happened.
    She said some messages began trickling through about an hour and a half later. The messages were in a holding pattern, and all emails should eventually be received as the backlog is cleared.

Rogers does not release the number of customers it has using its data services, Gupta said, adding that it's mostly business users.
    Voice - or phone - services were not affected. - [via TheStar]

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Re: BlackBerry service interrupted yesterday

Ouch, that would not be fun!!!! Let's hope T-Mobile doesn't have that happen!

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Doobie let me say I was getting upset waiting for that data connection refused message to get out of my face :P

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Crackberries without data service how horrifying, thank God it's over!

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Yeah that was pretty almost started shaking and crying like a baby

BBadBoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4010DD80

Wow, I get a nervous tic just thinking about it!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thankfully, I slept through most of that!

Service came back sporadically just after I woke up, and realised it was off.

One of the first emails I got was from my IT guru notifying us of the outage.

bambam26 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203b8ff1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I would be going nuts