It's the communications gadget for professionals, as well as a cultural icon. But now this ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Blackberry says Bring it ON!

Advertisement

It's the communications gadget for professionals, as well as a cultural icon. But now this communication cell phone and e-mailer faces intense competition from Palm, Nokia, Microsoft, Samsung and Others.

Mike Lazaridis knows all about the "BlackBerry Prayer"--the supplicating position one assumes when grasping the popular six-ounce wireless combination e-mailer/phone known as the BlackBerry between your palms and thumb-tapping messages on its QWERTY keyboard. His wife complained so often about his assuming the posture at home that he was forced to respond: he gave her a BlackBerry of her own. Then he gave BlackBerrys to both their kids, ages 8 and 10. During a recent family dinner, Lazaridis recalls, he looked up after pecking a reply to a colleague and discovered the whole family was engaged in the Prayer. They were even forwarding e-mails to each other while they sat in silence. "At least it's better than all of us talking on the phone," he says, but frankly, the 45-year-old Lazaridis has no one to blame but himself. Besides supplying his family with the device, he's also leader of the sect--the founder and co-CEO of the Waterloo, Canada-based Research in Motion (RIM), the firm that makes the BlackBerry.

The BlackBerry isn't really an object of religious devotion, but neither is it merely another silicon-powered, antenna-equipped mobile gadget. During the past three years the BlackBerry has spawned a full-blown business and cultural revolution, turning wireless e-mail into a virtual requirement for mobile professionals and business travelers in the 24/7 global economy. The devices have been adopted by governments for their employees and embraced by Hollywood actors, Wall Street bankers and every lawyer worth his or her weight in pin-striped suits. Karl Rove uses one around the White House. So does Tom Cruise in Hollywood, Oprah around the TV studio and Bill Clinton everywhere. For many, the BlackBerry has become a must-have device. It's even cracked the business lexicon, turning BlackBerry into a verb: blackberry. trans. v. To e-mail from a mobile phone. The verb seems to apply even when users are sending messages on a competing device, such as its chief rival, the Palm Treo. "I used to count BlackBerrys when I traveled," says Jeff Bradley, a VP at Cingular Wireless, which distributes various mobile messaging devices and phones. "I don't bother anymore. In the front of the plane, everyone has one out before the door closes."

[read more]

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB

rock on RIM

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    Then he gave BlackBerrys to both their kids, ages 8 and 10. During a recent family dinner, Lazaridis recalls, he looked up after pecking a reply to a colleague and discovered the whole family was engaged in the Prayer. They were even forwarding e-mails to each other while they sat in silence.
    this is my house too! 3 BB's and a regular cell ... i noticed the other day when we went to the mall that we were all walking, heads down, typing away ... all 4 of us!

showtime no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I also have given my family berry's. Now, no other phone is the same to them.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME
    My oldest just turned 9 on sunday.. Got her first cell phone, guess what it was. *wink* her sister is eagerly waiting for her turn, in the meantime she plays with my 7100i

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    I love my berry, but letting it take over at the dinner table?!?

Lets keep some perspective people:

1. Family first
    2. Family Blackberry time second

(lol)

KriK no está en línea Stack level 3
    They did say "bring it on". THREE years ago! Anyone in this industry knows that three years is a lifetime where a company can fire up and die off. This article was written in 2005 and now we are summer 2008 and guess who STILL leads the pack!?

Although my company twisted both arms behind my back and put me on an iPhone and a WM6 device I still have my Berry and actually pay for it out of my own pocket because I am so addicted.

I've been married for six months and five days now and my wife already understands that when I'm holding my Berry I'm BUSY! As in "walk away or you may find out what order you really come in on the priority list" busy. (It's unhealthy, I know... but painfully true)

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    My girlfriend didn't want me to get a Blackberry because she was afraid I'd get addicted to it. Guess who plays with my bb all the time!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3
    Lol, my girlfriend also can't keep her hands off my BB. She's not the hopelessly addicted crackberry user as I am (and proud BTW,I will never own anything but a BlackBerry) but she plays Sudoku on it when we're in the car, etc. I want to get her her own.

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    Yeah, I keep trying to get her to buy one when her current contract is up. She keeps trying to get her hands on my brand new Curve, but that's not happening!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

krikor222 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3022BBE5
    In my house your either on a Blackberry or your sleeping outside!
    Shawn K.

Device: BlackBerry Curve 8330 v4.5.0.56
    Carrier: Bell Mobility (Canada)
    PIN: 3022BBE5

VETT98 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    friends
    In our home their are 9 BB, 6 on ATT,and 3 on SPRINT,they use to all be on att, sprints is way faster then att, even when att goes full 3g. sprint gets way better signal on east coast. EVDO-A .
    BLACKBERRIES RULE lol
    Mike

Heh..my gf teased me she wants the Curve, and then I told her I'd be getting the Bold.

Heh..my gf teased me that she wants the Curve, and then I told her I'd be getting the Bold.

New7250 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    300D0907

Thumbs up

when i started dating my girlfriend a year ago she would always get annoyed that i would email in the movies or at dinner... she has realized that its a battle that can not be won... especially with the bold coming out!!!