Last Monday afternoon, BlackBerries stopped working. For about three hours, the CrackBerry addicts couldn't get ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

BlackBerry outage: How much reliability is necessary?

Advertisement

Last Monday afternoon, BlackBerries stopped working. For about three hours, the CrackBerry addicts couldn't get their mobile e-mail fix. The root cause: an unsuccessful infrastructure upgrade.

This outage came less than a year after an outage last April. Root cause that time: a different infrastructure upgrade.

Naturally, BlackBerry users were unhappy. A few industry blowhards said they were furious and grumbled darkly about a backlash against the BlackBerry.

The analysis is simple: The BlackBerry works, mostly. It's cheap, functional and -- most of the time -- reliable. Three hours down out of 7,000 since last April? That's 99.95% reliability. Want more nines? You'll have to pay more. Probably a lot more.

[Read full article]

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Re: BlackBerry outage: How much reliability is necessary?

That's a good article with very relevant uptime information. I think users just get upset when a service that they pay for goes down. Whether it is cable, dsl, blackberry service or anything else. This backlash is to be expected, but people have to realize how many times the systems they rely on do work. I think that should offset the argument of downtime.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

You know the outage was not a full outage. I thought I saw 50% listed as the effected users on one email sent out by RIM or providers. Its interesting how all these media sources overlook the fact that this was not a 100% outage. Everytime I see one of these stories I want the writters to check hier facts. I know because I was working fine the entire time, as was my hubby.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

I just read the article that Hayden posted parts of above. As bad as it may have seemed, you cannot argue with the fact of the 99.95% up-time. I think that number really puts it into perspective. When you want to relate it to other technologies, as DCook has suggested, my BB is one of the most reliable pieces of equipment that I have.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3

I have to agree with this article (in hindsight). The day it happened I was one of the furious ones saying I was going to go to back to Windows Mobile/Exchange push. After settling down and using a WINMO 6 device over the weekend I have come to the same conclusion I always come to whether it's "I want to switch to a different phone, I've had ablackberry for years..." or "I want to be able to watch Youtube on my phone" or something.....you can't beat a Blackberry. Period. Having to go through 3 different menus to get to my email or send a new message is laughable.
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....

supafli20 no está en línea Stack level 2

For me personally, it has more to do with RIM keeping quiet about what was happening more than service going out for three hours. Honestly, I'm surprised that uptime is that high of a percentage because you expect service to go out every once in awhile. What RIM needs to realize is that its customer's are loyal to the core and most of the time merely want an explanation of what's going on. When they keep quiet about these outages all it does is anger the customer who isn't (1)getting the service they pay for and (2)not receiving any information regarding the outage. If you ask me, keeping us informed is a small price for RIM to pay just to keep us happy. While this is just my opinion I feel like a lot of you would agree that these outages would be as bad if they kept us in the loop.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox View Post
    I know because I was working fine the entire time, as was my hubby.
    Mine as well. I actually had a few problems after the outage was restored with my yahoo mail coming late.

Quote Originally Posted by zjfarmer View Post
    As bad as it may have seemed, you cannot argue with the fact of the 99.95% up-time. I think that number really puts it into perspective.
    It really does.

csa819 no está en línea Stack level 2

Hmmm..
    Blackberry goes down and it's a national news event, even reported on TV outlets on a slow news day. AT&T entire data network has random data blackouts and nobody cares?