There is a new member of the family, and, like all new siblings, this one ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

BlackBerry Orphans

Advertisement

There is a new member of the family, and, like all new siblings, this one is getting a disproportionate amount of attention, resulting in jealousy, tantrums, even trips to the therapist. It's the BlackBerry.

Parents and their children are swapping roles. Like a bunch of teenagers, some parents are routinely lying to their kids, sneaking around the house to covertly check their emails and disobeying house rules established to minimize compulsive typing. -- Read More

Moridar no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    302686bc

Re: BlackBerry Orphans

-1 Lame on the author of the article... Didn't TVs get the same rap? Destroyer of families...

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

This is hilarious.

But on a serious note, this article only addresses the issues of blackberry use. Not the culture we live in where the work/life balance is constant struggle. Americans only take something like 1/3 of their vacation time because of work. Some people fear falling behind, missing a deadline or even appearing as if they are not responsible and ultimately losing their jobs. The fact that are economy is shaky, our gov't is essentially run by big oil, well over 75% of military is deployed overseas, are kids are all sitting at home playing video games, becoming obese and getting diabetes AND then when they are in school they are hyper from all the sugar and sensory overload so the get a prescription for their ADD. A good education doesn't always guarentee a great job as it once did, and even if you can get into the best schools- PAYING for your education is another mission altogether. And then we gotta worry about TERRORISM and how dangerous it is to travel and we have to check the terror alerts and how EVEN THOUGH we know its unfair to be ethnically profiled (I've been pulled over a few times)- WE ARE ALL HAPPY IT IS DONE ANYWAY!!!!

There is more to this than just a blackberry. Maybe we can use our berry's to get the message a bit faster?

(plus there is also a quiet feature on the damn thing that you could enable and show your kid a little attention too)

Yellowfin no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    317F3C36

Wow, well said. The kids on ADD medication and too much TV and video games is something that needs a lot more work on than Berry use. Whatever happened to kids playing football, fishing, and playing on the front lawn?

PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin
    Wow, well said. The kids on ADD medication and too much TV and video games is something that needs a lot more work on than Berry use. Whatever happened to kids playing football, fishing, and playing on the front lawn?
    Football- too rough lil johnny might get hurt- and god forbid he dirty his nice clean clothes (kids need to play and tumble boys and girls need to learn how to interact and the concepts of fair play and good sportmanship. And a knee scrap is not a reason for surgical consult)

Fishing- are you insane you can't the fish!!! the have 3 EYES and GLOW!

Front Lawn- after all that money spent on getting the lawn green and lush, you want to step on it, are you NUTS...

(LMAO- its BRICK in NYC and I need Breakfast!!)

For the record- I quiet my berry every night to sleep, I would power it down totally but I use it as an alarm clock. I do not use it while Im in the gym or in movie theaters or when have some QT time with my woman. She recently got the Pearl - we put our berrys on the table together so they can have some QT time too (no we are not drunk...all the time)

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Terrorism & Travel?

I was just talking with a friend the other day about the gross inability of typical America to assess risk.

Fact is, you're more likely to be shot in the head by your neighbour or die in a car collision from not wearing a seat belt than be killed in some "terrorist" plot.

And that's only if alcohol, tobacco, fast food, and lack of exercise don't kill you first!

PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Terrorism & Travel?

I was just talking with a friend the other day about the gross inability of typical America to assess risk.

Fact is, you're more likely to be shot in the head by your neighbour or die in a car collision from not wearing a seat belt than be killed in some "terrorist" plot.

And that's only if alcohol, tobacco, fast food, and lack of exercise don't kill you first!

I totally agree with you, but we are talking about hype/sensationalism/over coveage in the media. You most likely will die from all the McDonalds you been eating or cigarettes you smoke than being killed in a terrorist plot. But as our gov't/media and society look for what really makes the news..TERROR wins over Bad lifestyle habits.

And they probably chat about it via their blackberrys LOL