Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Taking aim at rivals like Apple Inc, BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion Ltd said on Tuesday ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Blackberry maker RIM warns of bandwidth crisis

Advertisement

Taking aim at rivals like Apple Inc, BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion Ltd said on Tuesday that smartphone manufacturers must start developing less bandwidth-guzzling products or risk choking already congested airwaves.

As users abandon traditional cellphones for netbooks, wireless modems and feature-rich smartphones, like Apple's iPhone, wireless data traffic has exploded and is threatening to saturate network capacity, RIM co-CEO Mike Lazaridis said.

Read More

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    A lot of folks had better do some future planning or AT&T won't be the only carrier trying to get its iphone users to decrease their data usage.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Carriers know the trend will not back off so they need to beef up their networks. People want their phones to do more......this sounds more like an excuse for RIM to not make the phones/features people are wanting now and saying they are just protecting our networks and carriers. The carriers have to use wisdom and not put more into use than what they can handle or they will lose frustrated customers. Fix the networks but dont regress on the progress of the devices or use the networks as an excuse to not improve the device.

Off course if there are ways to cut back data usage and still provide the rich experience customers get with data hogging beasts like the iPhone then it should be done....just don't go backwards!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I don't even know where to start with that kind of Statement? Since RIM is losing customers like never before there answer is to scare people away from devices that give the user what they want and claim they are data hogs? C'Mon

Now they are also giving away BES in an attempt to keep those who are leaving for devices that offer a more robust experience.
    Is the writing on the wall now? Does this mean RIM has no hardware and software solution to compete with Android devices or the iPhone?

That is a pretty Bold statement to make. Each new device that is currently being released or soon to be released touts what features? Rich mobile browsing, Rich media, Rich PDA features, Rich Social Networking features, all in a beautiful hardware package.

What is RIM really saying by that article or statement? They have to be kidding? (right)
    Really.............. I want a Blackberry b/c is uses less data and is more efficient.

Rolling my EYES in disbelief

Interesting comments to both AZ and SR. RIM had better NOT be backing off on the advancements in technology - they're already behind and if they don't come up with something soon, devotees like me will be jumping ship too. I already feel a little like I'm carrying a "dial-up" technology in a 3G world.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    WOW am i hearing you guys right? RIM is trying to scare customers? Carriers have the wisdom to not put what they cant handle on their networks? Where have you guys been in the past few months these are real issues, AT&T is just the tip of the iceberg. Its gonna get worse cuz people are gonna think the same careless way. " oh thats not that serious" its just like saying "we'll just ignore it till the problem goes away"

If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin View Post
    ...........If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.
    With all respect if I understand you, I don't agree with that statement. It's not within the power of the consumer (in this case) to solve the problem. We can't be expected to NOT buy amd use the products the products that are shoved at us with icing on top. This problem will only be solve by carriers and developers working progressively to handle the products and services that they sell.

RemyKirin You need to reread some comments, I said carriers need to beef up the networks and have to USE wisdom in only releasing what they can handle. They should not load up on selling things their networks are not prepared for, but they need to be rapidly moving forward.

Reckless progress is not good, but burying your head in the sand, ignoring consumers, and not moving forward to compete with technology that has long surpassed yours is not the answer either....
    Twitter? My Apps List

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3
    carriers need to get with the times and beef up network capacity and speeds. Bottom line.
    There's no other way around it. Its like they're trying to squeeze broadband speeds through a 56k modem. Old technology is supporting new phones....its not gonna last long this way.
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    The important message to be taken is "Innovation" should not be stymied or held back or prevented from happening. Each Company in the loop should step up and do the right thing and not hold others back b/c of their own personal agenda.

The Statement or opinion by RIM rests on the fence of doing just that. I'm not sure what RemyKirin meant either but I'm pretty sure Remy wants quality service and top notch products that work. In order to have carriers and hardware makers need to communicate and continue to improve. I would refer to it at "Growing"

PIN/ID
    ask
    Being from an networking background where I had to track, trend and report bandwith usage for an ISP, it was NEVER an option to remain stagnant on any front.

You can be sure this sort of message will not fly in Asian and European markets where carrier networks have always been ahead. I think this should be the time to urge mobile carriers to catch up.

RIM started PUSH email and wap browsing when mobile bandwith for bb's were less than 40kbps!! The problem is they failed to keep up, especially with the web browsing side of things.

This isn't global warming here, in the past it's issues like these that cause companies involved to find the solutions for tomorrow. Not to look at a technological challenge and run away from it.

This reminds me of a similar RIM statement when the first Storm launched, maybe if the mobile networks can't meet the bandwidth demand they will all issue a joint statement and announce that this is the "new reality" of mobile networks?

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16

If any of you follow the boy genius on twitter, he's been ranting about this all morning, here's his official rant on BGR

http://bit.ly/95wWaK
    Twitter? My Apps List

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    ^^That is a good read.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Wow, guess it's time to look at Droid or iPhone for my next upgrade.

PIN/ID
    ask
    Well said BG. Guys, look at paragraph 4 of BGR's rant. Anything stand out to you? ll Man I wish I could get away with that! lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast