Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Apple's iPhone has half the failure rate of RIM's BlackBerry in the first year of ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

BlackBerry has twice the failure rate of iPhone

Advertisement

Apple's iPhone has half the failure rate of RIM's BlackBerry in the first year of use, a study carried out by a mobile-phone warranty firm has found.

The SquareTrade study <--- Download PDF

Also see: PinStack Expert Archer6's challenge of this report!

Figures from the analyst firm Canalysys, released last week, showed Apple has now overtaken RIM in the global smartphone sales stakes.
    SquareTrade had to project their figures for the iPhone's failure rate over a two-year period, as the handset has not been available for that long — nonetheless, that rate came in at between nine to 11 percent. The equivalent failure rate for BlackBerry handsets was 14.3 percent, with the Treo coming in at 21 percent.

[Read More]

Bla1ze no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ya..NO!
    The article makes no reference as to what the failures are with BlackBerry devices and only indicates what they are with the iPhone, you would think the article would be more concerned about the failures in BlackBerry or Treo since the numbers were higher with them, but instead they shed light on what the failures are with iPhone?..Ok then.

Also, I'd enjoy seeing the numbers from the carriers, considering carriers push through exchanges on devices that don't really need exchanges , it's just easier to send a new device then it is to trouble shoot the already existing device with some people or they just simply demand a new device (think of memory issues on BB, a new device will not solve that yet..they still exchange em thinking it will, when all reality once they get the new device and load all their old stuff on it the issue will remain).

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    I'm a die hard blackberry fan even I have to admit the replacement rate for rims products are high everyone I know has to get a replacement at least twice a year ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via 8120 (wap.pinstack.com)~

Since 2004 I have had 12 BlackBerry devices. I can personally attest to this.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    You must also take into account how many of us tinker with our Blackberrys. Loading and reloading operating systems and always trying to do things beyond what the original use was meant to be.

This artical addresses the issue of dropped phones,faulty touch screens and other non operating system issues usually caused by the owner and not so much the fault of the developer.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    ~via 8120 (wap.pinstack.com)~

Since 2004 I have had 12 BlackBerry devices. I can personally attest to this.
    Forgot to mention that 6 were replacements due to the internal radio and signal (7730 and 7100t), OS and device crashes (2 8100's), and a broken USB port and trackwheel (2 7105t's).

I love the portability and capabilities of the BlackBerry. I'm just sick of all the issues I had prior to this 8120.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I'd like to point out that there are a great number of corporate BBs deployed. Hardly any corporate iPhones.

Since I would argue that many individuals don't take as good care of their work devices as their personal devices, I would argue that these stats are not as accurate as they could be.

On the other hand, a battery replacement on a BB costs what -- $30? Don't even get me started on the iPhone battery.

Furthermore, I think most who have iPhones are really careful with their devices. On the other hand, I think most BB users expect theirs to be durable and just kinda use them. I know I do.

Regardless, I've never had a BB stop working for me. However, I got two refurbs which I did on purpose. I figure they've been sent back once and therefore, personal attention has been given to fix whatever was wrong the first time.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

tnlf11 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21A88930
    Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    I'm a die hard blackberry fan even I have to admit the replacement rate for rims products are high everyone I know has to get a replacement at least twice a year ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    have to replace or want to replace? I don't know about you guys but I always want the newest BB
    Last edited by tnlf11; 11-10-2008 at 02:00 PM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    I have to admit the replacement rate for rims products are high everyone I know has to get a replacement at least twice a year ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You must run with an awfully rough crowd...

"hey guys, BlackBerry Basketball anyone?"

Cheers, (and thanks for being a good sport, just kidding)

tnlf11 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21A88930
    Don't get me wrong, I think iphones are sweet, but that's all they are. Cool, expensive toys. Like mjwood said, people will baby them a little more so they can show them off. I've been a bb user for a bout 5 years now and mine goes through hell no matter how hard I try to baby them. Running to catch a train while emailing the boss, your bound to drop it once or twice. And, because we depend on our bb's more, of course we gonna nitpik more if there is something wrong with them. Just my opinion, but usually you buy a blackberry cause you need it. You buy an iphone because you want what everyone else has. Still a cool phone but not as demanding as a BB.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Great discussion all!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I quote:

"SquareTrade had to project their figures for the iPhone's failure rate over a two-year period, as the handset has not been available for that long — nonetheless, that rate came in at between nine to 11 percent. The equivalent failure rate for BlackBerry handsets was 14.3 percent, with the Treo coming in at 21 percent."

To which I say:

RIM has a _very_ long and _successful_ track record.

A track record that is incredibly impressive. A track record of being there and getting the job done, during times of crisis, such as 911, and other attacks on the security of the USA. Used for years by the FBI, CIA, and every other security agency. Used at the Pentagon and virtually every level of government. By NASA, and on and on, the list is endless.

The BlackBerry IS the device of choice, by the grand majority of Fortune 1000 companies in the US. This phone called a BlackBerry is nothing to be scoffed at. To even begin to offer a short term study as proof that the iPhone is superior to the BlackBerry is an absolute joke.

This survey was just swallowed up by my shredder...

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I quote:

"SquareTrade had to project their figures for the iPhone's failure rate over a two-year period, as the handset has not been available for that long — nonetheless, that rate came in at between nine to 11 percent. The equivalent failure rate for BlackBerry handsets was 14.3 percent, with the Treo coming in at 21 percent."

To which I say:

RIM has a _very_ long and _successful_ track record.

A track record that is incredibly impressive. A track record of being there and getting the job done, during times of crisis, such as 911, and other attacks on the security of the USA. Used for years by the FBI, CIA, and every other security agency. Used at the Pentagon and virtually every level of government. By NASA, and on and on, the list is endless.

The BlackBerry IS the device of choice, by the grand majority of Fortune 1000 companies in the US. This phone called a BlackBerry is nothing to be scoffed at. To even begin to offer a short term study as proof that the iPhone is superior to the BlackBerry is an absolute joke.

This survey was just swallowed up by my shredder...

Lol! I do have to whole-heartedly agree w/you...Twist-n the #'s does not work...RIM has a great track record in my eyes vs. all my past device experiences.

ld-runner no está en línea Stack level 2
    i think squaretrade must be highly invested in AAPL. the report is nothing more than an advertisement for the iPhone. Where are the rest of the smartphones that could be on this list....(HTC, Nokia, etc.)

sleepydumbdude no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    246E9041
    Iphone support is handled by apple who are trained in know what they are doing. Blackberry support is at first up to the wireless provider who half the time have no clue what they are doing or just don't feel like fixing it and transfer to warranty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast