A model of Canada's Research In Motion shows off its smartphone "BlackBerry 8707h" during a ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

BlackBerry goes Japanese

Advertisement

A model of Canada's Research In Motion shows off its smartphone "BlackBerry 8707h" during a press conference in Tokyo. The company behind the BlackBerry, the wireless email service many Americans now cannot live without, unveiled plans for a new version of the device for workaholic Japan.

TOKYO (AFP) - The company behind the BlackBerry, the wireless email service many Americans now cannot live without, unveiled Tuesday plans for a new version of the device for workaholic Japan.

A Japanese language version of the BlackBerry will go on sale from July 23, Research in Motion Ltd. (RIM) of Canada announced in a new push to make inroads into the competitive Japanese wireless mobile market.

The device will be offered by Japan's largest cellphone operator NTT DoCoMo, but only to corporate clients for now.

"Japan is a sophisticated market," said RIM vice president Joe Caci.

"The big opportunity... for all of us is to be able to offer the product to the mainstream market. That is, localising it in the Japanese language," said Caci.

Research in Motion is the market leader for mobile e-mail devices with more than nine million users worldwide of its BlackBerry, a handheld device which can access corporate email and is able to roam almost anywhere in the world.

An English language version was introduced in Japan last September targeting multinational companies.

"The BlackBerry is prevalent throughout the world and we hope it will be able to be of use to revitalise Japanese businesses," said Ryuji Yamada, an NTT senior executive in corporate marketing.

The BlackBerry has a low brand recognition in Japan, where mobile telephone users have long been able to send emails through their handsets.

"The reason why the BlackBerry is so popular in countries like the United States is that it receives emails while their cellphones don't," said Kenji Nishimura, telecoms analyst at the Daiwa Institute of Research.

"In Japan, we can already receive them with ours," said Nishimura, who also doubts whether the BlackBerry's strict security features would appeal to Japanese users.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

Re: BlackBerry goes Japanese

hmmm that makes me wonder how developed their cellular Smart phone technology is, I mean after all it's Japan, other than the US they lead the world in technological developments.

And even tho I love BB somehow I don’t think the security features alone will be sufficient to make a lasting impression over there. Won’t the data services provided to the Japanese through BES and BIS be slower than that of ours; seeing as blackberry servers, as far as I know, are only in the US and UK? Or is that strictly carrier dependent? Unless I’m missing something here.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

That is very interesting, this should have positive results for the future development of devices. It will be interesting to see what comes out after this irons out. More crack-berry addicts.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Other than Europe, then the US they lead in mobile technology. The Canadian BB has helped the US smartphone market advance to higher levels. In fact as per Blackberry the US leads that. With other companies like Motorola's "Good" trying to enter into the push market. It great to see that RIM take the Intl markets very seriously and would be interesting to see if the BB can impress the Japanese. That would be a great accomplishment.

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8

Does that mean that RIM is going to build 3G Blackberries? Cause Japan uses 3G also for data and phone...

Peter

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin
    Won’t the data services provided to the Japanese through BES and BIS be slower than that of ours; seeing as blackberry servers, as far as I know, are only in the US and UK? Or is that strictly carrier dependent? Unless I’m missing something here.
    From what you are saying when I view a website overseas it should be alot slower. This is not always the case. I have been on sites in Europe that are as fast or faster that what I have viewed here in the states. I have also been able to download files quicker from some sites overseas too. Think about it this way, about 50% of the total INTERNET traffic in the work goes through the DC/Maryland/Northern Virginia area. So there push email should be just as fast. I would also assume that they would put some servers in Japan to handle and offload the local traffic there.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Quote Originally Posted by peterthill
    Does that mean that RIM is going to build 3G Blackberries? Cause Japan uses 3G also for data and phone...

Peter
    If I remember correctly they are working on 4G right now.

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by MWPatterson
    If I remember correctly they are working on 4G right now.
    4G? Do you mean HSDPA? With 7.2 Mbit/sec. Download speed?

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

thats great, because alot of japanese have been craving for one, as when they have visited americas and europe and had a chance to use it. Althou japan does indeed have quite a bit of technology, but still blackberry is one of a kind, its not really a pda, its more of a new group of devices that differs from palms and win mobile

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Quote Originally Posted by peterthill
    4G? Do you mean HSDPA? With 7.2 Mbit/sec. Download speed?
    I think that is what I they were talking about. I know it was referred to as 4G and they stream full motion TV on them and that the throughput was outrageous.

zerof no está en línea Stack level 1

I wonder if there will be an unlocked version to be used for Japanese speaking people in the United States.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

As far as the device, it would not be compatible here in the US. So them releasing it here makes not sense till the network is in place. Now, I can see making it an option for you to install the language and make it your default and then you would have it displayed on your screen.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

I'm a little confiused on why the announcement just came out. Must be because of the Japanese language support.

My users in our Tokyo Office have been using the 8707 since December 2006, although it is the English version. NTT/DoCoMo is the provider, and they seem to be UTMS devices. We have two of the devices here as loaners for the attorneys here to use if they have to travel. I'm lobbying for more, but with the 8830's we may try those instead (guess who's volunteering to go test it ).

Oh, MWPatterson, they do work in the US. They have GSM radios for roaming over here, and connect fine to the Cingular & T-Mobile Networks. However, unlike the 8707 you can get from Hutchson in Hong Kong, the NTT/DoCoMo devices are locked, so you can't switch SIM's to a domestic provider. The roaming charges are quite stiff, actually.

Not sure if it'll catch on with native companies there, but for multinational firms with a single global email system, it will probably be fairly attractive, since it'll mean a more common device to deploy and support than the 5 trillion different cell phones you can get in Japan.

Still, it's a little surprising that it's only an 87xx class device. They'd probably have more luck releasing an 88xx class model. I'd be happier since all the partners would then have the same level of device avaialble to them in all the offices. Perhaps it's harder to add the language support to the 88xx class?

Hopefully, like the Japanese versions of Windows the icons and menu items will all be in the same place so we can work on them without being able to read Kanji and look like some uber geek because you don't have to ask for a translation.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.