Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It has become fashionable to say that you're addicted to your BlackBerry. We laugh, we ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

BlackBerry Addiction - 3 Reasons Why Your CrackBerry Habit is Not Funny

Advertisement

It has become fashionable to say that you're addicted to your BlackBerry. We laugh, we trade stories about the crazy habits we have around our BlackBerrys - we keep it by our bedside, take it to the bathroom, and cannot resist checking it whenever a new message comes in. According to a recent America Online poll, 41% of adults check their e-mail first thing in the morning, even before they brush their teeth.

You probably make a pretty good case as to why you must be available and know what's going on at all times. I won't argue with you, as I know that wanting to make a change always has to come from you. But if in between all the jokes and BlackBerry love stories you've ever had that sinking feeling that your affection may be a little "off ", here are 3 great reasons why you should consider making a change:

1. Your efficiency is suffering

If you're letting incoming information, whether it's in the form of email, phone calls, voicemails, RSS feeds, tweets, or whatever, interrupt you each time they come in, you are not working at full efficiency.

Edward Hallowell, MD, author of "CrazyBusy: Overbooked, Overstretched, and About to Snap!" says that multitasking can cause the brain to overheat, like a car engine, because the brain cannot be at peak performance all day long - it needs periods of rest even during the day. So let your mind rest from technology and information at times - you can make it a habit to do this whenever you eat, for example. Take 15 or 30 minutes for lunch and just rest.

[read more]

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Turn off my device..... Perish the thought.

A funny thing happened at Starbucks today. I was sitting reading the paper. First one BB screeched an email and then the second screeched for a BBM.

As I was leaving a fellow stopped me, showed me his two BB's and said I was the only other person he ever saw in there using two devices at once. I had to chuckle.

I opened my coat to allow him to see the Curve, Bold, and 7100i on my belt. I then went to my inside pocket and pulled out the Pearl and 8900.

His jaw near hit the floor. I looked at him and said, "It's an addiction.... Merry Christmas." The last thing I heard as I headed for the door was his wife say, "Don't even think about it....."

Addiction? Absolutely.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with the author of this article. Unfortunately, in this 24/7/365 world it isn't always possible to not be connected. My clients couldn't care less if I need rest. When they email me they want an answer within seconds of hitting their send key. That's the nature of 24/7/365 industries.

This why I have separate devices for business and pleasure. At least I can ignore the pleasure ones once in a while.
    Last edited by Sirthinks; 12-25-2008 at 01:24 AM.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

digdoug no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31D73DE7
    I totally agree. If I had my desktop back,I think my wife would divorce me.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinks View Post

A funny thing happened at Starbucks today. I was sitting reading the paper. First one BB screeched an email and then the second screeched for a BBM.

As I was leaving a fellow stopped me, showed me his two BB's and said I was the only other person he ever saw in there using two devices at once. I had to chuckle.

I opened my coat to allow him to see the Curve, Bold, and 7100i on my belt. I then went to my inside pocket and pulled out the Pearl and 8900.

His jaw near hit the floor. I looked at him and said, "It's an addiction.... Merry Christmas." The last thing I heard as I headed for the door was his wife say, "Don't even think about it....."

Addiction? Absolutely.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with the author of this article. Unfortunately, in this 24/7/365 world it isn't always possible to not be connected. My clients couldn't care less if I need rest. When they email me they want an answer within seconds of hitting their send key. That's the nature of 24/7/365 industries.

This why I have separate devices for business and pleasure. At least I can ignore the pleasure ones once in a while.
    Whoa
    "Who Dares Wins"

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinks View Post

Addiction? Absolutely.

5 active 'Berries at one time? I'm an addict but don't know if I could afford 5 data plans. I could possibly manage 2 if I had different carriers LOL

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Yes we do have the stories, but its not easy once bitten to turn back. For example unlike the first responder, I may sit and have a cup of the Bucks, reading my News from my BB, I haven't read a Paper in so long, and with my Bold a messages comes, just hit that Appliction Switcher Button, get that Reply and back to the News, AP and WSJ. In this 24 7 365 there really is very little time to rest when you're awake, so I'll just save that for BedTime.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    5 active 'Berries at one time? I'm an addict but don't know if I could afford 5 data plans. I could possibly manage 2 if I had different carriers LOL
    It's only money. Some people drink. Some people gamble. I delve into my gadgets.

The Curve and Pearl are 45 a month each (Basic voice and Data). The Bold is 180 a month (loaded to the teeth) the 7100i is 70 per month (minimal voice/data and unlimited PTT in North America). The 8900 is 60 per month. So it comes to 400 per month but 250 of that is a corporate write-off. The rest is justifiably HOBBY expense.

Uses:

Curve and Pearl: Theme testing
    Bold: Corporate email, unlimited Canadian LD for business travel etc. Theme Testing
    8900: Personal Line - Theme testing if Plazmic ever releases CDK 4.7
    7100i: Used to be used to contact my drivers when I had my trucks on the Mike (Telus) PTT system. Now the trucks are on Curves, so when the 7100i contract comes up in three months, it is history.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

kentcy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    318CE18A
    $45! I'm living in the wrong country!

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    when i got my curve, i gave my sister my old 8100. it's like giving adderall to an overachieving student. all to easy.. wuhaha. crackberry!

duilsko no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    25675D70
    I've got a bold on an unlimited data plan for €20 pm the bold came free with a 12 month contract

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Ok my brain isn´t all there 24hrs a day - I agree. But then my BB Bold is... and since my clients don´t care if I am on or off, and only care about results and quick answers to their problems, I reckon the BB is my most efficient tool to have around... and resolve things they care about - efficiently! So there..- that's my expert, personal opinion.

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    I have no reason to change my lifestyle. They were not talking about me in this clip.

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    Hell to the yeah i'm addicted. I love berries, i can't tell you how many times having the internet in your palm has saved the day. E-mail, MSN, BBM all great for passing the time and enjoying any down time i have. Although i do find people saying things like 'man you really like that phone huh?'

latosha no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzdoss View Post
    I have no reason to change my lifestyle. They were not talking about me in this clip.
    hahahaha...kudos!

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    Quote Originally Posted by latosha View Post
    hahahaha...kudos!
    Why Thank You!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast