A new BlackBerry patent application (Patent app 20060239480 ) would seek to reduce the degree ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

BBhub Patent Guru finds RIM Patent application - reduce BlackBerry-PC interference

Advertisement

A new BlackBerry patent application (Patent app 20060239480) would seek to reduce the degree of interference that often occurs when handsets, such as BlackBerrys, are in close proximity to desktop PCs. -- Read More

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Re: BBhub Patent Guru finds RIM Patent application - reduce BlackBerry-PC interferenc

So did anyone else read this and say "Gee, that's nice, we're supposed to replace all our computer speakers with some (potential) device that RIM might come out with"? That'd be great, except I might have a problem replacing the speakers in my laptop, the IP phone that sits on my desk at work, the small radio I have at work, etc., And oh yeah, somehow I can't see them tossing out the nice videoconferencing system (with integrated speakers) we've got. (Actually, we've got a lot of 'em. They aren't cheap.)

At least part of the solution mention, using ferrite beads, is something that folks involved with RF (even as a hobby; I'm a ham radio operator) have known about since before the BB existed. The issue, to at least some extent, comes down to a lack of proper shielding in lots of different devices. Electronics manufacturers typically use the least amount of shielding and RFI (radio frequency interference) suppression that they can in anything they build because it adds costs to the device and there's no obvious benefit to the consumer. (I said obvious because if you don't have an RFI problem, shielding does nothing, and if you do, and it works, you, the consumer, don't see a little light come on that says "hey, my uber-shielding just stopped you from hearing that buzzing sound", so you don't realize that it's done anything.)

Finally, before I get off my soapbox, this issue certainly is not limited to Blackberry devices, and isn't a problem with all of them. For the most part, the problem typically occurs only with GSM-based devices (for those of you in the US, that's Cingular and T-Mobile flavors), and doesn't happen with others. Oh, and it happens with lots of GSM devices, including phones, wireless (but on GSM) PDAs, etc.

Time to get down now before I fall off and hurt myself.

skip00319 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d051c6

Re: BBhub Patent Guru finds RIM Patent application - reduce BlackBerry-PC interference

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Here here. I agree, this seems kinda pointless. Besides I have not experienced any interferance, and I have the original JBL speakers that came with my compaq that was purchased in 1998.

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

Re: BBhub Patent Guru finds RIM Patent application - reduce BlackBerry-PC interference

I think much of the interference is carrier based.
    Maybe not all of it. I did have an old 6230 and 7230 with T-Mobile.
    My new 8700 with Cingular messes up every speaker. It even sets off my parents door bell when I get near the front door. Kinda nice actaully. They know i'm coming.
    It screws up the TV at work, any device that doesn't have adequate sheilding. So it'll be nice if they came out with something that stopped that.
    I wonder if it'll open up garage doors for me?
    Might be nice.

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~hahahaaa. I love the door bell ringing too funny. Although its really irritating when I'm on a call at work and the interference comes crackling through the phone.

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~hahahaaa. I love the door bell ringing too funny. Although its really irritating when I'm on a call at work and the interference comes crackling through the phone.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I read this on BBHub when it was posted and Wondered about prior art. I have an 8700 sitting right next to my Toshiba lap top, I mean within six inches, and I have never heard a chirp from it. Same thing with my Dell Desktop it work either on Sony headphones or my ancient Sony Walkman addon speakers.

If I place it within 15 Inches of my Sony radio alarm clock I get some interference. And if I sit within 6 feet of the speaker phones in the conference rooms at work, god help everone on the call.

And it's not some much carrier related as it's more of a problem with GSM phones than CDMA phones

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Re: BBhub Patent Guru finds RIM Patent application - reduce BlackBerry-PC interferenc

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    And it's not some much carrier related as it's more of a problem with SM phones than CDMA phones
    As I mentioned in my original posting, it's a GSM issue, not a carrier issue. The only thing that might make a difference is that if you in an area of very good coverage, the device might be able to crank down the transmit power a bit, resulting in less apparent interference.

As far as I know, this isn't an issue with any CDMA devices at all, though I'd be very intersted in hearing from anyone who has run into problems with a CDMA device.