Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

examiner.com : If you're bothered during a meeting by someone thumbing away on their Blackberry, ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Baby Boomers: Blackberry a distraction

Advertisement

examiner.com: If you're bothered during a meeting by someone thumbing away on their Blackberry, chances are you're a Baby Boomer.

As ubiquitous as the BlackBerry, iPhones and other smartphones have become to check email, send text messages, search the web and whatnot, Boomers don't think they have a place during meetings.

A NexisLexis survey of white collar workers (lawyer types) shows that 69 percent of Baby Boomers surveyed say that mobile devices "contribute to the decline of proper workplace etiquette.”

They believe a laptop is distracting, as well.

Only 47 percent of Gen Y workers see what is the big deal.

[read more]

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Well I'm a boomer and my bb goes to every meeting I go to. No berry no show j/k. I can see the logic there is a time and place for everything, but if the time is taken to explain that you are taking notes, setting appointments, scheduling tasks which are all probably being discussed, it isn't any more distracting that someone doodling on a notepad

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

bill16 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    sorry no
    Also it's a good way to do a spot search, if an idea is brought up but is lacking some basic facts.It may not be the fastest search engine, but it is a convient,easily portable and versatile enough to be of service at a moments notice.There is also the fact a bb has become a mini rollodex,computer,weather channel,news,along with other at your fingertip facts that can be extremely useful.Not to mention it being a phone.Cell phones in general started of being a white caller item, and the beeper before that.
    Sorry for being so long winded.But I just couldn't help it.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by bill16 View Post
    Also it's a good way to do a spot search, if an idea is brought up but is lacking some basic facts.It may not be the fastest search engine, but it is a convient,easily portable and versatile enough to be of service at a moments notice.There is also the fact a bb has become a mini rollodex,computer,weather channel,news,along with other at your fingertip facts that can be extremely useful.Not to mention it being a phone.Cell phones in general started of being a white caller item, and the beeper before that.
    Sorry for being so long winded.But I just couldn't help it.
    Well said Bill!

PIN/ID
    sorry no
    Thank you thbassman.

And you can always look at it this way too.A business person who is an expert at using a bb has an edge in a meeting, in this new high tech dog eat dog business world.The people who don't like the use of bbs in the meeting, are the people who are not good enough at using them and feel threatened.

jrhorner71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    @5K
    Thank you thbassman.

And you can always look at it this way too.A business person who is an expert at using a bb has an edge in a meeting, in this new high tech dog eat dog business world.The people who don't like the use of bbs in the meeting, are the people who are not good enough at using them and feel threatened.
    I'm a gen x and I will agree with every word you have said in both post. Since I got my bb I have been more organized at my job and have pulled a lot of info for my manager to help make some decisions that have saved time and money. So as far as I see it more power to those who use their technology at meetings.

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Well let's just put it in simple fact if us boomers would have had the bb early in our careers we probably wouldn't be having this discussion

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    sorry no
    Quote Originally Posted by CMangum View Post
    Well let's just put it in simple fact if us boomers would have had the bb early in our careers we probably wouldn't be having this discussion
    Hey I just realized something!I have no clue if I'm a boomer!Lol;p

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Haha, I don't know what gen I am considered to be in either, I'm too young to be a boomer, but not sure what my generation was tagged.

I think it depends on what you are doing with your BB during that meeting. If you are bored and tweeting, stacking, or playing brickbreaker then that's a problem. If you are in fact using it to get on the spot info that contributes to the discusion then that's great. I think anyone who has a problem with it most likely struggles with the new technologies and is probably a bit jealous of the edge it gives those who are capable of using it to their advantage.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Mortgage_Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    I would suggest being low key with your BB during meetings and hold it down under the table so as not to disrespect the leader or cause a disruption. Most of the time, I am using mine for email with clients/operation or texting the wife. Both are things I will do at the job regardless so I feel I'm saving time by knocking out time sensitive replies to clients/ops and saving time by texting instead of longer phone calls to the wife.

My BB saved me a few weeks ago in a meeting at my previous job. We had a pipe to burst at the house and my wife had no clue how to turn off the water. She sent me a BBM about the TIME SENSITIVE fiasco occurring at the house. I was able to tell my boss I had to go without causing a big disruption. By having my BB in the meeting that lasted for 2 hours, I was able to run home and get the water turned off before my house became a flood zone.

Just make sure you are multitasking and paying attention to the speaker and staying involved in the meeting. Eye contact is good. When a coworker asks a stupid question that takes the speaker 10 minutes to answer, hop on Pinstack and learn something!

It's all about discretion!

PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I agree on the low profile but in this day and age smartphones are everywhere not just bb's, and setting appointments, notes and stuff like that should be above the table. To continually punch the keys is probably not a good thing. Boomers are 1946-1964

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    sorry no
    Quote Originally Posted by CMangum View Post
    I agree on the low profile but in this day and age smartphones are everywhere not just bb's, and setting appointments, notes and stuff like that should be above the table. To continually punch the keys is probably not a good thing. Boomers are 1946-1964
    Thank you Cmangum.It looks like I just missed being a boomer by 2 years.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    If you're in a "Business Mtg" there is absolutely no place for someone to be surfing the web, texting or doing anything on their cell phones unless it's an urgert/bus call you have to take. You're in a mtg for pete's sake! That mtg should be top priority, you can reply to a text after the mtg is over. Then again, this applies to phone courtesy in certain public settings as well. It's a pet peeve of mine. Work comes first, then the rest. I've kicked ppl out of mtg's before for this exact reason. There's a time & place for everything & in a mtg is neither the time nor the place to be jacking w/ your cell.

I'm not a Baby Boomer either, maybe my work ethic is just different.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Thank you thbassman.

LMAO....is this guy for real?? really?? i just wasted 5 mins of my life reading and posting to this silly comment is what's worse!

PIN/ID
    sorry no
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Haha, I don't know what gen I am considered to be in either, I'm too young to be a boomer, but not sure what my generation was tagged.

I think it depends on what you are doing with your BB during that meeting. If you are bored and tweeting, stacking, or playing brickbreaker then that's a problem. If you are in fact using it to get on the spot info that contributes to the discusion then that's great. I think anyone who has a problem with it most likely struggles with the new technologies and is probably a bit jealous of the edge it gives those who are capable of using it to their advantage.
    This is what I was trying to say,and doing a "very" poor job of it!

Thank you Azstar!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast