As an Alltel customer I was wondering who would end up acquiring the divested markets ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

AT&T and Verizon Wireless Sell and Swap Assets

Advertisement

As an Alltel customer I was wondering who would end up acquiring the divested markets that VZW would not keep in it's purchase of Alltel. Well, it looks like AT&T will be making the purchase. In addition to that, Verizon wireless will be purchasing a portion of Centennial Communications from AT&T. Not sure how they will work out the CDMA vs GSM differences, I guess some big changes are coming for customers on both sides of these transactions.

Here are a few more details about the upcoming transactions:

"Back when Verizon acquired Alltel, the FCC would only give the nod under certain conditions. One of those conditions was that Verizon divest some of Alltel’s assets after the acquisition so the market didn’t look like a Big Red monopoly. As was expected, AT&T is going to pick up a good chunk of those assets for about $2.5 billion."

[Read More via BGR][And here]

"AT&T formally announced its intent to purchase certain former Alltel assets (as well as Verizon and Rural Cellular assets) from Verizon Wireless for the sum of $2.35 billion. As part of the deal, AT&T will acquire Verizon's licenses, network assets and 1.5 million subscribers in 79 regions, including rural areas of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming. In addition to that purchase, AT&T is going to sell certain Centennial Communication assets to Verizon for $240 million. AT&T had announced its intent to buy Centennial in 2008, and that deal is still pending regulatory approval."

[Read More via Phone Scoop]
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Threekings no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sorry double post.
    Last edited by Threekings; 05-11-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Threekings no está en línea Stack level 3
    Just wait until they join together..

InfinityPlayer no está en línea Stack level 3

AT&T Wireless? LOL

Wouldn't it be awesome if they DID join forces, but what would the merger call itself? AT&T Wireless, or Verizon AT&T?

Plus, it would be good for us AT&T users if they did merge, cos i would love to have the Storm, but i don't want to trade companies.
    Define irony: A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song that was sung by a band that got killed on a plane. - By a man who is in a movie about those very idiots dancing on the plane he was on.

The only way Verizon could buy Alltel was if they sold off some markets to prevent a monopoly. The FCC would never allow an AT&T-VZW merger. That would be just too huge!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    OK, Thanks for spoiling my day. Now I have to worry about maybe being an ATT customer. I just got used to the idea of Verizon.

jglee311 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASKME
    Hey arizona......member when we talked about this a few months back and wondered what was going to happen to you?? Guess we know now huh.

Welcome to AT&T dude!!

Haha, not for me, I will be Verizon. There was some confusion in the beginning, even when I called Alltel, to find out where we are. Alltel's markets in AZ are part Verizon and now we know the rest will be AT&T. It has been confirmed though that for me, VZW it is! My bills are now mentioning being part of the verizon network.

But I will be contract free at the end of August so I will be searching for a completely new provider. VZW will be $30 more per month, and AT&T $40 more per month for the same plan I have now with Alltel. I may jump to T-Mobile and go for one of the new Android devices
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jglee311 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASKME
    WHAT?!? You said the "A" word...........i'm a little disappointed, I must admit!

webmerlin no está en línea Stack level 2
    maybe the merged companies of AT&T + Verizon would be called AVersion :-) just kidding.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~