There's been no shortage of disdain towards AT&T in the last few months, starting with ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

AT&T Brand Perception On The Decline

Advertisement

There's been no shortage of disdain towards AT&T in the last few months, starting with the whole Google Voice debacle, but a recent study by YouGov's BrandIndex, shows that it's a lot more then the rejection of an app for it's flagship device, the iPhone, that has customers thinking twice about the carrier.

Neil Hughes over at AppleInsider explains that the company conducts daily surveys of approximately 5,000 people, age 18 and older, on companies in categories such as quality, value, satisfaction, recommendation, reputation and impression. He notes that, "When combining those categories, AT&T's index score of 18.3 on June 16 had eroded to a 14.6 on Thursday -- a change company senior vice president Ted Marzilli told AppleInsider is "statistically significant."" He goes on to further explain the negative image that has been created for AT&T in terms of customer service and network reliability in the last year and illustrates just how much of an impact is has had on the company's public perception.

Check out the full article here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I love this kind of stuff. There are many good things a person could take from all that but what stands out to me most is the fact AT$T is aware and will be sucking some A$$ trying to win back over that poor public perception during the time everyone knows their contract may end. The threat of loosing customers becomes real which is a very good motivation tool.

It also goes without saying surveys can be fruit of the poisonous tree too depending on who they actually survey?
    Did they survey people who just picked up an iPhone for the first time? B/C they will find happy customers.
    Did they survey people who have had the iPhone and are tired of dropped calls and no MMS?
    Last edited by srl7741; 09-13-2009 at 10:09 PM.

dirtypirate no está en línea Stack level 2
    What's the real survey criteria? I've been with them for almos two full years and have my bb running relentlessly day and night. I've never heard of anyone who's been surveyed or has been asked to take a customer satisfaction survey. Sounds fishy... We all know (or should by now) that a "satisfaction" survey is a joke. The results are always biast and don't represent the group as a whole.
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

morphwvutuba no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    205925CA

here's what i can substantiate...

at&t sucks.

dakid2k6 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by morphwvutuba View Post
    at&t sucks.

I agree, Att when ifirst got them which isnt long ago was great. And now recently my phone doesnt get full 3G. It always drops to edge or even gsm. And with them "enhancing the network so the 3G is stronger" it feels like my 3G coverage inside sucks more. Works fine once I step out. They really gotta fix this.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Completely agree. As i've written in other posts, all other US carriers have some benefit (next to some disadvantage). ATT charges a lot, has awful customer support, you feel like you are dealing with retards, and tries to price gauge you around every corner. ATT SUCKS!

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    We could list pros and cons for every carrier in this thread if we wanted to. And, fortunately, I haven't had any of the problems that everybody is complaining about. I love my iphone and the rollover minutes I''ll probably never have to use. If you are nearing the end of your contract and you don't like AT&T then haul butt it's your prerogative. If you don't have a contract with AT&T and you just love to bash then stay with the carrier you are with and whine about something else.

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    There's been no shortage of disdain towards AT&T in the last few months, starting with the whole Google Voice debacle, but a recent study by YouGov's BrandIndex, shows that it's a lot more then the rejection of an app for it's flagship device, the iPhone, that has customers thinking twice about the carrier.

Neil Hughes over at AppleInsider explains that the company conducts daily surveys of approximately 5,000 people, age 18 and older, on companies in categories such as quality, value, satisfaction, recommendation, reputation and impression. He notes that, "When combining those categories, AT&T's index score of 18.3 on June 16 had eroded to a 14.6 on Thursday -- a change company senior vice president Ted Marzilli told AppleInsider is "statistically significant."" He goes on to further explain the negative image that has been created for AT&T in terms of customer service and network reliability in the last year and illustrates just how much of an impact is has had on the company's public perception.

Check out the full article here.
    Their dsl service sucks too
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRC1) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    calm_tiger: I did exactly that -- I was in a contract (with an iPhone) and I paid to break out of it. That's how pissed off I was. While I do agree with you, some people complain/whine just because it's the thing to do, I actually despise ATT purely because of the way their quality of service (1), because of their customer support (2), and because of the way they do business (3).

That said, I also agree with you that: if you don't like them, move away, and if you do, stay with them. Generally, i've noticed that they have good service in "bum #&ck" places, and terrible service in places like downtown boston and nyc. Unfortunately, a large part of their service is actually due to the iPhone -- GSM has only a certain amount of coverage per "virtual block" (64 people I think). Due to the popular burst with everyone having an iphone and everyone using data, ATT basically did the equivalent of DDOSing themselves.

Funny example: Someone that I know had a tiny website, and he was pissed off that he didn't get enough visitors. When the Xbox360 came out, he found some leaked info on which stores will have it and how many items, and he incorporated this into a google map/search website months before it came online. Due to this, he received thousands and thousands of unique hits a day -- thus shutting down his bandwidth completely. Unlike ATT, he was smart, and he quickly sprang to a hosted solution with ads, which quickly made him more money than I make working 70 hours a week.

Point of this: ATT could easily not suck at life, but they are not just very smart overall (and I really can say this given the many times I've had to work with them in my professional path). I think they are realizing this and are finally acting -- but they will just get massively slammed when their contract expires, and when they have sunk millions into new towers and expanded coverage/bandwidth.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    I think that it's good the company recognizes what people like and dislike about their brand. However I feel the reality is that articles like this are just fluff. I don't think they intend to change much if anything. When a company is that big it might cost them less to just ride the issues out. The only thing I've learned from at&t in the last two years is that they don't care.
    BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.191 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I guess I am just lucky because I have never had any problems with AT&T reception. I live in CT but work several days each month in NYC (often in different areas) and I have never not had service (except for the obvious exception of in the subways), so I don't get the complaints about terrible reception. That being said, I'm using a BB 8900 so I don't use 3G, maybe that is where the issue lies...

As for customer service, yes it sucks, but so does Verizon's (personal experience) and Sprint's (work experience). I can't comment on T-Mobile because their coverage in my area was so bad I canceled that plan very quickly.

What I take from this is that there is no perfect provider, no perfect coverage, and everyone's experience is going to be different. Do I think AT&T takes advantage of people? Of course! But so do all of the others. As long as I continue to have coverage as I travel and rarely have to deal with customer service, then I'm very happy with AT&T. But I certainly won't complain if customer dissatisfaction forces them to give all of us better deals!!