Results 1 to 15 of 15

My goodness, that almost sound like a joke, how many years have they had the ... Smartphone News forum

  1. #1
    DjSmooth's Avatar
    DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,080

    AT&T Beefing Up Network for iPad and iPhone

    Advertisement




    My goodness, that almost sound like a joke, how many years have they had the IPhone and now they want to make more promises with regards to the IPad (which I don't see taking off like either Gen of IPhones) but anyway here's a bit of updated news.

    "In 2009, AT&T added 1,900 new cell sites, expanded 3G coverage to over 360 markets, reaching an estimated 75 percent of the population, and added 850MHz 3G--improving the range and strength of the 3G signal. It also enabled HSPA 7.2 throughout the network, speeding up the 3G download speeds.

    AT&T has aggressive plans for 2010 as well, including investing over $2 billion to expand and improve the broadband data network. It plans to deploy fiber-optic backhaul which will increase 3G data speeds even further, as well as focusing on boosting data capacity in troubled areas like New York and San Francisco.


    Overall, AT&T customers should be satisfied that AT&T is not deaf to their complaints, and that it is taking aggressive strides to improve the speed, availability, and stability of its 3G network."


    [Read More]
    Last edited by DjSmooth; 01-30-2010 at 01:37 AM.

  2. #2
    srl7741's Avatar
    srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Posts
    6,359
    My City Councel just approved AT&T putting up a new Tower in an area that currently does not get 3G last week.

    It appears they are trying to do the right thing. I was happy the City did not get in the way of progress.

    ..
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

  3. #3
    raton's Avatar
    raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Posts
    5,730
    FIOS would definitely keep me being an AT&T customer. T1 would even make me sign up for another five years at least. I hope they still get the iPhone this year
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

  4. #4
    bmay82's Avatar
    bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,356
    We are suppose to get 3G here in my area in the next 3-4 months....my fingers are crossed...since I finally have a 3G berry

  5. #5
    Jaricanese's Avatar
    Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    FIOS would definitely keep me being an AT&T customer. T1 would even make me sign up for another five years at least. I hope they still get the iPhone this year
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    FIOS? A Verizon service will help keep you an AT&T customer? lol

  6. #6
    raton's Avatar
    raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Posts
    5,730
    FIOS is a short name they use for fiber optics. The company that provides me with internet service (optimum online aka cablevision) have been using fiber optic technology long before verizon and yet they claim to have discovered it and used before them but everyone knows that verizon requires you to sign up for a land line to receive internet. Cablevision doesn't. they can hook you up with internet at cable speed without having the humongous box on the side of the house from verizon to run its so called revolutionary fios lol. It's not a verizon thing, really. It's just a name they called dibs on.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

  7. #7
    mobile99's Avatar
    mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    328
    Apple's nothing if not greedy. After all, look at the pricing of their products, and how cash rich they are. They know how to vacuum the consumers wallet, better than most of the mobile communications companies all put together. Their not stupid either. They realize that despite what enthusiasts like us think, the general public is quite satisfied with AT&T. Yes Verizon might be the largest but most consumers buy the phone they want, with little thought about the carrier. Also AT&T has great brand recognition in far more ventures than just wireless. Apple decided to sign on with AT&T for iPad service, for just one reason: profit. Do you really think that Apple cares about the consumer? Think again.

  8. #8
    couchpotato's Avatar
    couchpotato no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    PIN/ID
    294AB7EF
    Posts
    59

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    Apple's nothing if not greedy. After all, look at the pricing of their products, and how cash rich they are. They know how to vacuum the consumers wallet, better than most of the mobile communications companies all put together. Their not stupid either. They realize that despite what enthusiasts like us think, the general public is quite satisfied with AT&T. Yes Verizon might be the largest but most consumers buy the phone they want, with little thought about the carrier. Also AT&T has great brand recognition in far more ventures than just wireless. Apple decided to sign on with AT&T for iPad service, for just one reason: profit. Do you really think that Apple cares about the consumer? Think again.
    Welcome to earth , Everything here is about $$$$$$

  9. #9
    ventz's Avatar
    ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    Apple's nothing if not greedy. After all, look at the pricing of their products, and how cash rich they are. They know how to vacuum the consumers wallet, better than most of the mobile communications companies all put together. Their not stupid either. They realize that despite what enthusiasts like us think, the general public is quite satisfied with AT&T. Yes Verizon might be the largest but most consumers buy the phone they want, with little thought about the carrier. Also AT&T has great brand recognition in far more ventures than just wireless. Apple decided to sign on with AT&T for iPad service, for just one reason: profit. Do you really think that Apple cares about the consumer? Think again.

    Completely disagree. Let's face it: apple signed on with ATT because in reality they couldn't say "ohh sorry" to the rest of the world where they have tons of market. They needed the sim card option for Europe, Asia, etc...
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

  10. #10
    drdoom23's Avatar
    drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    828
    No apple went with att cause they won't restrict the iphone lol plus gsm is all over the world cdma is dated that's why carriers are porting over to gsm

  11. #11
    srl7741's Avatar
    srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    May 2006
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Posts
    6,359
    Let's add their 3G can allow for voice and data playing nice together. It's not one or the other one at a time. When u look at how the iPhone works that is important. Talking on the phone and getting email or text messages at the same time is nice.

  12. #12
    RayZ's Avatar
    RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,573
    It would be nice to have 3G here at my home. It's all around me, just not in my small town, sounds like it could be here very soon though. I really hope so, 2G is so......2008 lol

  13. #13
    mobile99's Avatar
    mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Let's add their 3G can allow for voice and data playing nice together. It's not one or the other one at a time. When u look at how the iPhone works that is important. Talking on the phone and getting email or text messages at the same time is nice.
    Precisely. In fact its one of several reasons I decided to use an iPhone 3Gs as one of two smartphones I carry daily. I'm on at least one conference call a day, having the ability to multitask and process my email concurrently is a stellar feature. Quite frankly I've had nothing but a good experience with AT&T's 3G service. I get full bars every day. Yet that said I do realize there are areas devoid of enough towers (usually due to environmentalists & a protesting township) to prevent 3G from being available in certain areas.

  14. #14
    mobile99's Avatar
    mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by ventz View Post
    Completely disagree. Let's face it: apple signed on with ATT because in reality they couldn't say "ohh sorry" to the rest of the world where they have tons of market. They needed the sim card option for Europe, Asia, etc...
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    I respect your opinion. The reason I disagree is Apple is so powerful they can do whatever they want. They had a lot of options and chose AT&T for the excellent infrastructure. At the outset with the first iPhones there were no problems other than Apples failure to equip the device with a high quality phone module. After all they are new to phones. I know, I've had all three generations of iPhones. Still my iPhone 3Gs is only mediocre at best when it comes to the phone. If they are overwhelming the system, that's the good news as it reflects just how successful AT&T is at selling all the phones they offer. Also as I mentioned in a different post, before their was an iPhone I've been using AT&T's 3G network with great success via over a dozen unbranded, unlocked phones that are not even available in the US. Many of which I have drop shipped directly from a distributor I use out of hong kong. If you want an education in great smartphones go to GSMarena.com. That's where I choose the phones I want. I never limit myself to the slim selection of phones here in the US. Its also the reason I use three networks. I'm not advocating for AT&T, I'm simply sharing my experience with them compared to T-Mobile & Verizon the other carriers I'm currently using.

  15. #15
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    I respect your opinion. The reason I disagree is Apple is so powerful they can do whatever they want. They had a lot of options and chose AT&T for the excellent infrastructure. At the outset with the first iPhones there were no problems other than Apples failure to equip the device with a high quality phone module. After all they are new to phones. I know, I've had all three generations of iPhones. Still my iPhone 3Gs is only mediocre at best when it comes to the phone. If they are overwhelming the system, that's the good news as it reflects just how successful AT&T is at selling all the phones they offer. Also as I mentioned in a different post, before their was an iPhone I've been using AT&T's 3G network with great success via over a dozen unbranded, unlocked phones that are not even available in the US. Many of which I have drop shipped directly from a distributor I use out of hong kong. If you want an education in great smartphones go to GSMarena.com. That's where I choose the phones I want. I never limit myself to the slim selection of phones here in the US. Its also the reason I use three networks. I'm not advocating for AT&T, I'm simply sharing my experience with them compared to T-Mobile & Verizon the other carriers I'm currently using.
    AT&T might be good for u but there are tons of complaints for a reason, there is a reason why verizon was able to take so many pock shots at them cuz it was all true. And all carriers have to deal with "environmentalists", honetly they wouldnt be rolling out all these towers all of a sudden in an obvious attempt to play catch up. I also have had 3 different network phones and i can say that as far as qos goes at&t is the losing contender. carriers like verizon dont offer the voice while u call because they want to over-extend their network, they want to keep their title as a strong stable carrier and to be honest not a large percentage of the people that use smart phones use the data to its full capacity, I dare say probably more than half of the people that got smart phones when they became trendy dont really know how to even use it past a phone. I say this because i meet people everyday that prove it to me. That all being said AT&T has notorious brand reputation, not great.


    On another note I believe the reason that the ipad is being assigned to at&t is because it probably would be a breach of their agreement with the iPhone. Their is probably a proviso that states that anything they do while the contract is in effect that requires cellular use has to be through them for X number of years. If that wasnt the case then apple could care less about AT&T they would be on every network and making tons more than they are making now.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

    "I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •