AT&T added to its existing international roaming packages Monday with a new plan for smartphone ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

AT&T adds to international data plans

Advertisement

AT&T added to its existing international roaming packages Monday with a new plan for smartphone users. The package will feature 50 megabytes of data in 67 countries for $60 per month. That's in addition to your normal voice and data plan and any roaming plan for international voice calls.

To help keep track of AT&T's various offerings, the carrier also launched an AT&T Travel Guide where you can input your international itinerary and get specific roaming rates.

Besides the new smartphone plan, AT&T offers other packages for data use while traveling abroad. The Unlimited BlackBerry International plan lets you receive unlimited e-mail for $69.99 per month. iPhone users have two plans available. For $24.99 per month, you can get 20MB of data in 36 countries, or for $59.99, you can get 50MB of data in 36 countries.

For Windows Mobile and Palm device owners, $24.99 will give you 20MB of data in the same 36 countries.

[source]

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Can't decide if this is a good deal or not. It seems expensive to me, even for a frequent traveler out of the country.

The only unknown is how much does a data package cost if one goes for the unlocked, foreign SIM? I think data MAY be being offered on some pre-paid accounts now - if so, pay for what you use MIGHT be a better choice. Anyone know for sure?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I think its a little high too. Im not that sure either.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Suprise, suprise, suprise, ATT found a new way to get to ppls money!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    The less expensive option is to have an unlocked quad-band GSM phone and use local pre-paid SIM cards in the countries you visit.

If you're afraid or clueless on how to change/use local SIM cards then paying more money to AT&T fixes everything.

I actually received my first spam SMS message from AT&T yesterday touting this new service.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz View Post
    The less expensive option is to have an unlocked quad-band GSM phone and use local pre-paid SIM cards in the countries you visit.
    I did that last year in France but I didn't have a data plan. The voice part is WAY cheaper (free incoming calls, etc) but I didn't know how it would compare if I'd wanted data too.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I did that last year in France but I didn't have a data plan. The voice part is WAY cheaper (free incoming calls, etc) but I didn't know how it would compare if I'd wanted data too.
    On some systems activating GPRS/EDGE data services with pre-paid SIM cards only requires that you send a special SMS message/code to a particular service provider number.

In my case with China Mobile activating GPRS/EDGE data was as simple as sending the SMS message "BLKGPRS" to number 10086.

Data access rates vary from provider to provider and plan to plan but it usually works. Web access is usually no problem but some data services like BIS or other Messenger type services may/not work, nothing is guaranteed.

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    I'll use the local prepaid thank you very much. 60 a month is a lot.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    all depends on how much you travel, all i have to do is get the world SIM for my VZW8830 and it bills me per usage. So if i need it, i pay for it.. (atleast thats what VZW told me). In all reality i think just using emails and a few PIN msgs internationally will be less then $50...
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    1.83ghz Macbook 1,1 (School work, Websurfer)
    4GB Mini, 2GB Nano, 30GB Video, 8GB iPhone 3GS, iPad1
    BB Bold 9900

claykin no está en línea Stack level 2
    at&t is just plain annoying. For their Int'l plans they require a full 1 year commitment. TMo is $20 for a domestic US Blackberry plan. When traveling overseas users can add a $20 International blackberry addon which allows unlimited BB emails. When the user returns you simply call Tmo and they take off the $20 addon (and if its less than 30 days they charge you the prorated portion of the month). Basically on Tmo its a day by day Int'l plan. Much better than the evil at&t.

Quote Originally Posted by maz94protege View Post
    all depends on how much you travel, all i have to do is get the world SIM for my VZW8830 and it bills me per usage. So if i need it, i pay for it.. (atleast thats what VZW told me). In all reality i think just using emails and a few PIN msgs internationally will be less then $50...
    How much does Verizon's world SIM cost you - one time or mnthly fee?

trueaznballa07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    coool.