Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by Toddboy71 I think it's 2012( if memory serves me, ATT has a ... Smartphone News forum

DaThunder no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Apple's iPhone lacks security...

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71
    I think it's 2012( if memory serves me, ATT has a 5 year exclusive, but maybe it was less) before TMO or anyone else can get access to this. By then, RIM will be on the 15xxx series lol
    thankx for the info, I didn't know that. I have to wait another 2 years unless I buy out the contract.

munee23 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71
    While I agree with what you're saying, they're talking about the enterprise, ie Outlook exchange, lotus and domino. And lack of security would scare the SH** out of me if I were an IT guy and my CEO wanted one! Thank god I'm not!
    I see. this is true. Well then. . .**backs away slowly**

Thanks Toddboy71

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6

According to France, the BB is not secure either. The US is using the BB to spy on other countries. http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...kBerry-Ban.php

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

according to the at&t training manual, the iphone has NO enterprise support. nor does it have MMS capabilities, no GPS and no push email. so i'm expected to pay $600 for a 8gb mp3 player and a browser? because the iphone doesn't do much else other than look fancy. pre-release testers of the iphone say that the touch screen is awful for typing and most are using the attachable keyboard to do anything.

as usual, a over-priced device that will have problems from apple. the fact that the ipod is as popular as it is when you can get mp3 players that are much better for a lot less money still continues to amaze me. itunes is horrible, and ipods are prone to freezing, which then requires you to hold down three buttons for 43.2 seconds each while spinning in a circle reciting the 10 commandments to get them to reset. it's an awful device overall, especially compared to what's on the market.

the iphone will sell though, and people will complain about it. just last night i spoke to a guy that wanted to switch to cingular to get the iphone, and when i told him what was known about it he said screw that i'm getting a pearl.

i have friends that work for at&t/cingular, and there are already a group of people that are planning on camping out the night before in front of the store. it's sad. all the mac leg humpers out there are going gaga over this.

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

iPhone insecure?

Here is a article that talks about the Forbes article. Interesting. Sooo much FUD so little time.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/13964/

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: iPhone insecure?

With no support for POP* or any Enterprise email system, and no third party application support, the point may be moot.

IMHO there will be a flurry of activity for a few months, then people will start to be disenchanted by the touch screen (how long will it last?) and no removable battery (how long will it last?). And although AT&T isn't a terrible provider, they don't cover everywhere and they're not known for their bargain rates!

*Just Say No to iPhone

Well, so much for WServerNew's comment that the iPhone supports only IMAP. Check out Apple's 20 minute tour which says it DOES support POP.
    Last edited by jdellasala; 06-23-2007 at 08:15 AM.
    JerryD

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala
    With no support for POP* or any Enterprise email system, and no third party application support, the point may be moot.

IMHO there will be a flurry of activity for a few months, then people will start to be disenchanted by the touch screen (how long will it last?) and no removable battery (how long will it last?). And although AT&T isn't a terrible provider, they don't cover everywhere and they're not known for their bargain rates!

*Just Say No to iPhone

Well, so much for WServerNew's comment that the iPhone supports only IMAP. Check out Apple's 20 minute tour which says it DOES support POP.
    Jeff Han's multi touch has been proven and will last. Does anybody pay attention to anything but FUD? This is the first consumer use of an incredible technology that will be seen everywhere within a few years. There are company's using Jeff Han's invention to replace the entire keyboard on laptops. This isn't your father's toch screen!

Wow, I amazed at the people that will bad mouth a product that they have never seen or used and the fact that it gets criticized for not allowing POP email and doesn't have security, and doesn't have SMS and doesn't talk to other networks and....just goes to prove that the "masses are asses". Last time I checked it does support POP and it does have security and it does have SMS and it does allow calls to other networks. Please do us a favor and don't buy one but please leave your lies and FUD at the door. I can't help it if you can't look into the future and imagine the changes the industry are about to go through. It's just some new technologies and ways of doing business. The changes that this brings will be huge. Someday BB will be offering a multi touch screen and you will be there talking about how great it is...don't you find that funny?

quadband no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32BF5198

The iPhone looks like an amazing companion phone. When I say "companion" what I really mean is strictly for entertainment. Even then streaming videos or music across the EDGE network will be painful at best. I thought about getting one and then realised that I already have an iPod and any phone I choose will be able to stream music from the internet. While the iPhone looks good I could never own it as a primary device. The lack of tactile feedback (no buttons to type on) and the slow EDGE network are deal killers. Come on, my wifes new gimme phone has EVDO. I left EDGE over two years ago for something bigger and better. I think the early adopters are really gonna get shafted on this one when they realise, six months later, that the phone they just dropped $500 on has been antiquated by a high speed version. Boo Apple. On the other hand, the market this phone really appeals to probably won't notice the difference... EDGE? EVDO? Are those Pokemon? Liek omg!

Try using Wi-Fi on your phone. What? No Wi-Fi? How is life in the stone age?

I am not planning on using the EDGE network except in those rare occasions that I am not within a couple of hundred feet of a Wi-Fi signal. There is no such thing as a high speed cellular network. The best out there isn't that much better than a dial up. I'll take Wi-Fi.

Your phone will be obsolete much sooner than you think. Go nuts with your top speed of 300kbs. I'll be doing a minimum 11 Mbs...but you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Nice FUD though.....
    Last edited by jwlussow; 06-26-2007 at 12:35 PM.

PIN/ID
    32BF5198

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    Try using Wi-Fi on your phone. What? No Wi-Fi? How is life in the stone age?

I am not planning on using the EDGE network except in those rare occasions that I am not within a couple of hundred feet of a Wi-Fi signal. There is no such thing as a high speed cellular network. The best out there isn't that much better than a dial up. I'll take Wi-Fi.

Your phone will be obsolete much sooner than you think. Go nuts with your top speed of 300kbs. I'll be doing a minimum 11 Mbs...but you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Nice FUD though.....
    You're obviously confused... I have a MacBook Pro for Wifi. Top speeds of 300kbps? You must have gotten shafted for bandwidth somewhere and are now bitter with the world.

Perhaps your needs aren't as great as mine. Perhaps you don't need a stand alone, secure, highspeed connection to the internet without fidgeting around with security settings or stopping by the local coffee shop to get signal. You'll only be doing a minimum of 11Mbps to the router; not to the internet. Unless, like me, you're at home and store all your music on a central server (inside the house.) Then it makes a difference; but that's only at home. For those of us who need a constant high speed connection EDGE vs HSDPA and EVDO is a huge difference. I get a *minimum* of 300Kbps on my EVDO connection. HSDPA should smoke EVDO when they get it working. That is, until Rev A comes to fruition.

WiFi will only make sense when they get distributed access points to a working stage and *that's* only gonna be in towns or cities that will allow it. How much are you going to spend to access those data points on top of your phone data?

Fan-boys like you piss me off. The iPhone is NOT aimed at the corporate world. It SHOULD have high speed data. Would I like to own one? Yes, for the very same reason I own an iPod Shuffle. It's cute and trendy; but only half as useful as a big iPod. Will I ever own an iPhone? Probably. When they get highspeed data.

Now there's some FUD.

Talk about fan boys...My home internet connection is 12MBs (not Mb). In Chicago there is Wi-Fi everywhere.

My problem is the lies (no push email, no IM, can't call out of network, touch screen sucks, etc...) all by people that have never even seen the phone.

BTW, MB=Mega Bytes - Mb=Mega bits. Just a slight difference.

I saw Jeff Han demonstrate the Multi Touch Screen. It is like nothing you have ever seen. I'm not the fan boy. I am trying to bring some truth to the lies told and propogated by these boards. The iPhone is not for everyone - it has flaws and strengths but it will change the future of cell phones. BB will have to release a Wi-Fi phone with full HTML support. I know you fanboys will say the were always going to do that the fact is the iPhone did it first and the rest are playing catch up.

I understand why PC users think Mac users are nuts - Crackberries are as dedicated to their platform as Mac people, the difference is I don't know any Mac people that will lie to prove their points.

PIN/ID
    32BF5198

Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow
    Talk about fan boys...My home internet connection is 12MBs (not Mb). In Chicago there is Wi-Fi everywhere.

My problem is the lies (no push email, no IM, can't call out of network, touch screen sucks, etc...) all by people that have never even seen the phone.

BTW, MB=Mega Bytes - Mb=Mega bits. Just a slight difference.

I saw Jeff Han demonstrate the Multi Touch Screen. It is like nothing you have ever seen. I'm not the fan boy. I am trying to bring some truth to the lies told and propogated by these boards. The iPhone is not for everyone - it has flaws and strengths but it will change the future of cell phones. BB will have to release a Wi-Fi phone with full HTML support. I know you fanboys will say the were always going to do that the fact is the iPhone did it first and the rest are playing catch up.

I understand why PC users think Mac users are nuts - Crackberries are as dedicated to their platform as Mac people, the difference is I don't know any Mac people that will lie to prove their points.
    Just FYI: Common convention states that bits are generally used for data transfer speeds and Bytes are for storage. That syntax is not universally shared but it does seem to be, as stated, the commonly accepted convention.

I tell no lies. I speak my mind; there's a huge difference. In my OP you will find no lies. You made this personal with your attack; I was making a generalisation. Must have struck some nerve with you, though, for you to come back with your response. Sure wasn't intended that way. I apologise that you took it wrong.

Perhaps I'm just sour from all of the hype. iPhone this, iPhone that; How's about iPhone STFU. I was in the Apple store yesterday picking up something for my wife. There were a bunch of trendy, emo-punk wanna-be's whoring the counter with questions about the iPhone. It's like that pissing Head On commercial. Just make it stop already!

I didn't buy my BB for a fully functional, totally immersive, HTML web browser. I bought it because it is a decent convergence device that, for the most part, suits my needs. I am fully aware of the antiquation rate with technology. I also know the definition of a bit and a Byte; thanks for the elementary lesson, though.

I started out with a Sidekick and then moved to a Sidekick II. After that I rolled over to a Treo 650 and Cingulars much hyped EDGE network. After dealing with data speeds little better than what I got with my Sidekick I moved over to a Treo 700w and was an early adopter. After two frustrating years with the small memory paired with the WM5 environment I thought I'd give the BlackBerry a try. I purchased my first BlackBerry two days ago. I'm not even certain I am going to keep it. I've given up the ability to tether for free (and with USB) and am struggling with the OS and its limitations. Most of the problems stem from the fact that I am a Mac user. I like the phone, no doubt. The 8830 is great. Pity about all of the simple stuff it can't do, though.

Good luck with your iPhone.

If you get better than 300kbs through your cell phone congrats. I don't know anyone who see those speeds. I'm not a fan boy. I love my phone but RIM decided that they would not support my Macs. Now there is a phone that offers Wi-Fi and the abilty to sync with a Mac. It is expensive but it is only $100 more than my 7100i. The service costs were just released and the iPhone service is half of what I pay for my BB service. The BB's internet speed sucks on Sprint/Nextel so I am expect about the same from the iPhone but it offers Wi-Fi. I would be completely happy with my 7100 if RIM would develop a Desktop Manager for Mac. They said they won't so I am forced to move on.

I am a tech head and I did meet Jeff Han. I have never touched an iPhone but I do know the technology of the Multi Touch screen. I have been seeing so much FUD that I was starting to take it personal. I apologize for that and for crossing the line towards personal attacks. That's really not my style. Good luck with your 8830. RIM makes great phones but bad business decisions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12