Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Via Forbes : "With its science fiction features and high-end price tag, Apple's iPhone may ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Apple's iPhone lacks security...

Advertisement

Via Forbes: "With its science fiction features and high-end price tag, Apple's iPhone may be the ultimate executive toy. All the uber-gadget lacks, according to some security professionals, is executive-level security. And that, they worry, makes the iPhone a hacker's playground.

"It seems Apple is releasing a device with no thought to enterprise security," says Andrew Storms, director of operations of the computer security firm nCircle. "It's going to be entering enterprise networks whether we like it or not, and it's a nightmare for security teams."

Read More

cshevlin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E90BCA

Re: Apple's iPhone lacks security...

I thought this "wonder phone" would have problems. I heard that its also going to use a pull e-mail system and not a push system like the blackberry. This means realy realy bad battery life and you can only get e-mail's every 15 min. I dont think this will be a big hit the the blackberry user. Its cool just way toooooooo much money...I want a 3G pearl......
    PIN # 23E90BCA
    Hit me on the BB..

munee23 no está en línea Stack level 2

What gets me is the fact that most [99% i would say] of all viruses and malacious code is written for [Windows based] PCs. Apple is not known for having issues with viruses. So that could be a reason as to why the iPhone "lacks" security measures.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Quote Originally Posted by munee23
    What gets me is the fact that most [99% i would say] of all viruses and malacious code is written for [Windows based] PCs. Apple is not known for having issues with viruses. So that could be a reason as to why the iPhone "lacks" security measures.
    While I agree with what you're saying, they're talking about the enterprise, ie Outlook exchange, lotus and domino. And lack of security would scare the SH** out of me if I were an IT guy and my CEO wanted one! Thank god I'm not!

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

The iPhone does have push email although only .mac and yahoo are supported. Any other POP3 or IMAP mail is pull on the first gen iPhone. My understanding is that the first generation is not meant to be a business phone and that is why there is a camera. I don't know of any businesses that are serious about security that would allow camera phones. There are rumours of a business iPhone that has enterprise security and no camera. That is completely different from the consumer phone that is being released on June 29.

munee23 no está en línea Stack level 2

Nice info, thank you jwlussow.
    Last edited by munee23; 06-19-2007 at 08:26 PM.

ldcmobile no está en línea Stack level 1

The iPhone isn't meant to be an enterprise phone, so the fact that it doesn't have enterprise controls, or the ability to accept enterprise policies should come as no surprise.

As far as push/pull e-mail, the iPhone will support push IMAP services. My understanding is that users who sign up will get 1 year free push IMAP e-mail with their yahoo account.

vortec7 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30487CF1

Ladies and Gents,
    This is just the first of many "chinks in the armor" to come. Although Apple may be a great company but this is (from my knowledge) their first phone. And in that same breath, this phone is trying to be everything to everybody. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the news as the problems are released.
    Good Luck to you IPhoners.

DaThunder no está en línea Stack level 3

if tmo gets this phone, bb can say goodbye
    thats a promise not a threat

PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Quote Originally Posted by ldcmobile
    The iPhone isn't meant to be an enterprise phone, so the fact that it doesn't have enterprise controls, or the ability to accept enterprise policies should come as no surprise.

As far as push/pull e-mail, the iPhone will support push IMAP services. My understanding is that users who sign up will get 1 year free push IMAP e-mail with their yahoo account.
    Correct, but as the article states, it's not INTENDED, but we all know it will find its way there. Thats whats startling. The pearl is a consumer device, yet still has enterprise security.

no matter, Apple will sell gazillions of these and all the points will be moot. And we'll have to hear all the apple...blah blah blah, mac blah blah blah, and it still won't do anything for me. And I was a Mac user for the better part of 20 years.

But they wont sell a gazillion and ONE, as I'll pass...... I'll take the curve with wifi, then the Komet, and move myself onto BES 5.0 with the 91xx and 9xxx, and be ecstatic! And secure =)

No offense to you future iPhone folks, its going to be a great device! Just not for me.
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Quote Originally Posted by DaThunder
    if tmo gets this phone, bb can say goodbye
    thats a promise not a threat
    I think it's 2012( if memory serves me, ATT has a 5 year exclusive, but maybe it was less) before TMO or anyone else can get access to this. By then, RIM will be on the 15xxx series lol
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

mbwilson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DCCB16

Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71

No offense to you future iPhone folks, its going to be a great device! Just not for me.
    I have to agree. I'm sure the iPhone wil be great for a lot of people, but I do not see it reovlutionizing the phone industry the way that the BlackBerry did. One reason the BB is so successful is reliability as the majority of people use their BB is some way for business where reliability is key. Plus usually our businesses can justify the cost of a BB handheld to facilitate continious connectivity while an iPhone would be much harder to justify.

PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71
    Correct, but as the article states, it's not INTENDED, but we all know it will find its way there. Thats whats startling. The pearl is a consumer device, yet still has enterprise security.

no matter, Apple will sell gazillions of these and all the points will be moot. And we'll have to hear all the apple...blah blah blah, mac blah blah blah, and it still won't do anything for me. And I was a Mac user for the better part of 20 years.

But they wont sell a gazillion and ONE, as I'll pass...... I'll take the curve with wifi, then the Komet, and move myself onto BES 5.0 with the 91xx and 9xxx, and be ecstatic! And secure =)

Agreed. Except they will sell a bunch based on the great ipod (love it! ) and Mac OS rep. However, I doubt they will sell as much as expected. Similar to other so called bb killers in past, the iphone's own reputation over time from user feedback will be it's Achilles' heel. So, for me, the 29th and onward is too far away and I can't wait

timusca no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F9ACE8

Just to add to the discussion here... the iPhone is not a "BB Killer". Its not meant to be and won't be... its a revolutionary gadget that IS going to revolutionize the gadget/phone industry. Yes, its a PDA and phone, but the real key here is its screen, new touch-interface, iPod, and "actual web browsing". No more stripped down websites - this is the real deal.

That said, both the BB and the iPhone each have their market. And the iPhone WILL sell as many as they expect to, regardless of price. AT&T is expecting a line at the door 24 hours before release. Remember, no device has EVER been released without a lot of criticizing... the price is large, yes, but there are so many people out there willing to pay it.

Also remember, the 1st iPod was $400. Now, look at them... give it time.

PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by timusca
    Just to add to the discussion here... the iPhone is not a "BB Killer". Its not meant to be and won't be... its a revolutionary gadget that IS going to revolutionize the gadget/phone industry. Yes, its a PDA and phone, but the real key here is its screen, new touch-interface, iPod, and "actual web browsing". No more stripped down websites - this is the real deal.

That said, both the BB and the iPhone each have their market. And the iPhone WILL sell as many as they expect to, regardless of price. AT&T is expecting a line at the door 24 hours before release. Remember, no device has EVER been released without a lot of criticizing... the price is large, yes, but there are so many people out there willing to pay it.

Also remember, the 1st iPod was $400. Now, look at them... give it time.
    Unfortunately wether Steve Jobs meant to or likes it or not.. the iPhone has been dubbed as a BlackBerry killer by the general media and other news agencies.

The day it was announced RIM's stock fell a bit due to this mistaking the target market for the iPhone. Hence, the high expectations for security of the device when it's not even meant to be a corporate device.

But I agree with the "iPhone being no BlackBerry killer" Thankfully em.. Sadly, the expectation levels of the average buyer will be set in the wrong direction by launch date. In the end it's a PLUS for RIM that the iPhone is being wrongly matched up against the Blackberry and incorrectly labeled in general.

Kudos to the media:
    http://www.iphonepress.com/2007/01/i...ry-killer.html
    http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...d6ad75&k=88680
    http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7653/1023/

Personally my expectation and as far as target markets are... BlackBerry the messaging (email being core) market & iPhone the multimedia market. Obviously, each phone will have both capabilities but INTENTIONALLY different strenghts.

Although, RIM seems to be throwing Apple a "Curve" ball with the 8300 and esp the 8320. A safe play by them due to the media, web and news agencies mismatching.

Cool site: http://www.iphonevsblackberry.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast