Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Apples CPU A4 is fast, fast, fast! Read more: http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/ipad_big_picture .. Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU ... Smartphone News forum

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator

Advertisement

Apples CPU A4 is fast, fast, fast! Read more:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/ipad_big_picture
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 01-29-2010 at 03:54 AM.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I gotta give it to Apple for trying to again change the idea of how we connect and communicate. Yes other companies have tablets, but Apple is really pushing this to the average user. However, I'm not sure this version will draw the huge numbers they want as others have mentioned, due to the current need for peripherals to fully utilitze it. Takes away the portability when you need all that.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    The iPad will be more about consuming web related contend with light productivity. Light activity would be email and other things such as that.

The consuming portion will consist of reading and watching

Any PDA activities I would consider light also.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth10 View Post
    Good point, but I still say this is a waste of technology. I can't foresee many people buying this. Put out the new iPhone already!
    I agree with you 100%. A waste for tech, and share holders money.
    No Flash support
    No USB
    No expandable memory
    No swappable battery
    No CD drive support (The only thing you can put on this is from Itunes) Sucks!

Plus this thing probably functions like the iphone or ipod touch, so plugging it to someone else computer is gonna be a headache.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Flash

Who from an official statement said no Flash support? Did I miss something?

Watch this video. I think u will see Flash? Maybe? Maybe not? I say it's flash.

The NYT's Dining section is usually represented by video in a Flash box.

Here is the same page on the iPhone:

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hrmm the ipad at least gives me hope that ATT may offer a 15 dollar data plan (iPhone). It may relieve some of my feeling "ripped" off (in regards to the overpriced service) woes. Hopefully it becomes popular :-) I am all for free market driving innovation :-) I myself NEED a keyboard and generally not a removable keyboard so I would probably have to go for a netbook. IMO unless that thing multitasks it's really not worth the 500(or more) price point. Maybe it's meant to compete with the single functioning ebook ideas, perhaps a more functionable version is in the works for a higher price (that would be cool) :-).
    Last edited by tippmann15; 01-29-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Bad typing

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

Yes

Being an apple fan, I'm loving it!
    Wendy
    Iphone...what else would a MAC user have.....

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ten points for Apple and their incredible influence. Now I'm taking away those points because the iPad is a DRM Monster. Funny how few people see the truth about this devices ability to further Steve "the control freak" Jobs desire to continue to sell products that are part of a totally proprietary closed system.
    And people dislike Microsoft...heh! They're not as bad as Apple when it comes to locking down a system.
    No sharing allowed here, if you read the not so fine print and come out from under the hype, you'll notice that every bit of the Music or Videos or Apps that this device plays must be purchased from Apple. There's no way to install anything made by anyone but Apple.
    Next is the fact that due to it being an always on device. Apple can add or delete anything it wants from the iPad you own. It tracks you closer than google. Don't believe it? Google is your friend...look it up for yourself.
    Now, don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Apple, (I use their computers & iPhone) I love their industrial design and nice packaging.
    However what I am saying is that if one backs away from the initial excitement and takes a rational look at the iPad, the choice is yours, buy into a closed system and ignore the facts. Or take a pass, wait for the other competitors to introduce devices that are open for you to use as you like without these restrictions.
    Yes the iPad is a beauty, yes it looks like fun. But... I will pass.
    ---
    Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/2444; U; en) Presto/2.2.0
    Last edited by mobile99; 01-29-2010 at 08:23 PM.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile99 View Post
    Ten points for Apple and their incredible influence. Now I'm taking away those points because the iPad is a DRM Monster. Funny how few people see the truth about this devices ability to further Steve "the control freak" Jobs desire to continue to sell products that are part of a totally proprietary closed system.
    And people dislike Microsoft...heh! They're not as bad as Apple when it comes to locking down a system.
    No sharing allowed here, if you read the not so fine print and come out from under the hype, you'll notice that every bit of the Music or Videos or Apps that this device plays must be purchased from Apple. There's no way to install anything made by anyone but Apple.
    Next is the fact that due to it being an always on device. Apple can add or delete anything it wants from the iPad you own. It tracks you closer than google. Don't believe it? Google is your friend...look it up for yourself.
    Now, don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Apple, (I use their computers & iPhone) I love their industrial design and nice packaging.
    However what I am saying is that if one backs away from the initial excitement and takes a rational look at the iPad, the choice is yours, buy into a closed system and ignore the facts. Or take a pass, wait for the other competitors to introduce devices that are open for you to use as you like without these restrictions.
    Yes the iPad is a beauty, yes it looks like fun. But... I will pass.
    ---
    Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/2444; U; en) Presto/2.2.0
    "COUGH COUGH" HERE HERE "COUGH" EXACTLY! You know the hype - I was all into it during the Demo Video, but once it was done, it was like - Hey! Wait a min - So I can't put my own music or movies on it - Dead! Dead! in the Water. Thats it No More Hype! Next!

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Who from an official statement said no Flash support? Did I miss something?

Watch this video. I think u will see Flash? Maybe? Maybe not? I say it's flash.

The NYT's Dining section is usually represented by video in a Flash box.

Here is the same page on the iPhone:
    And my response would be:

"...But those promotions are misleading, according to Paul Threatt, a Web and graphic designer who lives near Atlanta. Both show the iPad displaying elements of the online New York Times that cannot be viewed without Flash, even though the device apparently doesn't support that software.

"I don't hold anything against them for not supporting Flash," Threatt said. "It'd be great if they did, but what I don't want them to do is misrepresent the device's capabilities."

[Read More]

I'm confused. I have downloaded all of my CD's onto iTunes and synced it to my iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    "COUGH COUGH" HERE HERE "COUGH" EXACTLY! You know the hype - I was all into it during the Demo Video, but once it was done, it was like - Hey! Wait a min - So I can't put my own music or movies on it - Dead! Dead! in the Water. Thats it No More Hype! Next!

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    I'm confused. I have downloaded all of my CD's onto iTunes and synced it to my iPhone.

Ok granted, you maybe able to transfer your music, but isn't that just a tad bit ridiculous to carry around your music on a device as big as a book, thats the whole purpose of IPod in this case smaller (IPhone/IPod Touch) is better. So something this big is basically for movies, have you ever tried to convert movies for the latest gen Ipod, it just wont recognize them, so all your Movies must be brought from Iturnes... And the whole "Adobe Flash" deception is unacceptable, and I'm not even going near the absence of Multitasking...

But that was one of your and Mobile99's reasons for discounting it

Just to play devils advocate. You can buy a movie from iTunes download it to an iPod nano, iPod Touch, iPhone and you can play it from iTunes off of your laptop or desktop computer. You can even tether your PC direct to your TV if you have a TV capable of doing that. All without going to the store and at an affordable price. You can even rent movies from iTunes. I believe you can also use Netflix to watch movies.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    But that was one of your and Mobile99's reasons for discounting it
    Actually one of the reasons is the "DRM" but if I brought one music would be last on my list to use it for, I mean come on everybody on the train or bus got their little shuffle and Ipod Touch and I bring out this huge mp3 player (but its the latest, so I'm cooler, yeah right). But anyway, when it comes to this IPad, I really don't think someone is sitting back and saying "Yeah, thats the mp3 player I want" no they're thinking about the False Flash that they saw in the demo video, and or the Movies, and right off the back there are two issues, 1 - there is no Flash on the IPad, so visiting said sites would be a major let down, and 2 - you wont be able to transfer any of your movies to the IPad that was not brought from ITunes.

So I do believe that was the area we were agreeing on, not to mention that considering they already have cameras and video capability on the smaller IPads (IPhone, IPod Touch and Nano) it would be safe to say that after they've racked in enough money from this 1st gen IPad, the next one will have a Camera (by June or December - and on another note, they're being made now to be ready for the release dates, they're not waiting for the holidays to make them, the 1st gen has been revealed, now its time to get to work on the 2nd gen to be ready for the Holidays, check their pattern) the 1st Gen will go down about $100 cross the board, and the next Gen will have these prices all over again. I mean if they care about Customers the Camera at least would have been on the 1st Gen. (That too is what I believe we agree on - Apples marketing practices).

Music on the IPad is the last issue...
    Last edited by DjSmooth; 01-30-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast