Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

In a much anticipated move, Apple CEO Steve Jobs yesterday announced the all new Apple ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Apple's All New iPad. Does it appeal to you?

Advertisement

In a much anticipated move, Apple CEO Steve Jobs yesterday announced the all new Apple iPad. There's been a lot of negative chatter - all with good reason, based on specs, etc - about this first gen iPad, but could it be that Steve Jobs has AGAIN latched on to what could be the next big trend in consumer devices? What do you think of the iPad and it's starting price point of $499? Would you be more comfortable with 2 devices, (a smartphone AND a tablet) or are you looking for a solution in one device? For me, at least for now, considering the current specs, its a bit too netbook-like and I prefer carrying a netbook such as Lenovo's Thinkpad x100e which starts at just $449.00 for a lot more hardware and screen space.

Apple iPad specs:

• 1 GHz Apple A4 Chip
    • 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB of Flash storage
    • 9.7" capacitive multitouch screen (LED Backlit)
    • .5" thick chassis
    • 1.5 lbs
    • Custom iPhone OS 3.2 (beta available today to registered developers)
    • 802.11n Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR
    • Optional 3G connectivity with AT&T, (unlimited data $29.99 per month, no contract necessary)
    • 3G is "unlocked" UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz)
    • GSM SIM compatible, international release slated for Summer
    • Wireless not yet FCC authorized, available in 60 days
    • Accelerometer
    • Compass
    • Speaker
    • Microphone
    • 30-pin iPod connector
    • 10 hour battery life (30 days on standby)
    • Keyboard dock available

Lenovo's Thinkpad x100e specs:

• 11.6” 1366 x 768 display (matte)
    • AMD Athlon Neo MV-40 processor (1.6GHz, single-core)
    • AMD M780G chipset
    • ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics
    • 2GB RAM (2x slots)
    • 250GB HDD (2.5” SATA)
    • Multi-touch trackpad (two fingered scrolling)
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
    • 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
    • Bluetooth
    • 0.3MP webcam
    • 6-Cell 5200 mAh battery
    • 1.47 kg / 3.2 pounds weight
    • 281 x 188 x 19 - 25mm / 11 x 7.4 x 0.7 - 0.9 size

More iPad discussion

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    i can't wait for the iPad. seriously, it's what i've been missing. i hate browsing with my g1's small screen, i'm not into the iphone, and sometimes i really don't want to lug around my macbook pro. this is the perfect fit especially since everything i have works with mac.
    Paolo
    Moto Droid with SteamROM v4.0.5 Steam Theme
    Steam 1.2ghz Low Voltage Kernel
    Apple MacBook Pro
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Try us out! www.mycellularsource.com

PIN/ID
    ask
    You raise a good point there. Many current iPhone users migrated to iPhone only because of iPod or iPod Touch ownership. This device offers yet another avenue for consumers to give Apple a try and then possible grab other drives such and Macbooks and iPhones.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    I was seriously considering the IPad, but it kinda faded quickly when I realized that its still a one app at a time bigger ITouch. But now that Thinkpad is looking "Pretty Good" (in a Larry David type voice), and that just maybe my next present to myself, I'll think of why I deserve it after I get it

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Remember when the original iPhone was released and what many, many people said about the phone and idea?

Fast toward to the iPad when it's released (iPhone spell check does not like the word iPad) hahaha.

I think if your a Mac user it's a no brainer your going to love the iPad. It's natural and Mac OS X is very nice.

If your an iPod Touch owner or iPhone owner you will also more than likely fall in love with the iPad. It does offer more than a phones small screen and portability the MBP does not currently offer.

Living Room, Kitchen, Bed room use those types of thing will probably be pretty handy and easy and work well.

Students? I'm not so sure yet? Some development needs done first. Accessories and Apps will need to fill that gap. I can see it but not out of the box.

I will probably buy it but I really think the 2nd generation or even 3rd generation will be the killer iPad to have.

Video and multitasking and a very mature iPad App Store will be in place by then.

For the life of me I do not understand the AT&T thing. That is a dead end before ever getting off the ground. Apple needs to spread it's carrier wings. For such a smart group of people that work and develop for Apple, the AT&T or lack of carriers is just stupid. I say that as a person who does have good AT&T service in my area.

The easy of use and eye candy will be a big pull for the iPad. The average consumer has always supported easy to use, simple to understand devices where there is little to no maintance.

It's appealing even if you don't care for Apple. Watch the video Demo and listen to what Ives says about the iPad.
    "No right or wrong way of holding it. I don't have to change myself to fit the product. It's fits me"

Touch screens are not all created equally (those who have tried several know this) Apple's touch screens are nice.

Edit*
    I forgot? Lenovo's Pad is $2000 if I'm not mistaken? Can anyone confirm that price? The iPad @$499 is reasonable to to the masses.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    Last edited by srl7741; 01-28-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling errors

PIN/ID
    ask
    good points. As far as i know Lenovo does not manufacture such an entry level tablet at this point. So it would be hard to compare the $2000 tablet. Esp under the Thinkpad line. If they do something in future to compete with iPad (touchscreen only) it would have to be under the more basic Ideapad line.

There is the Ideapad s10-3t:
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...30BF5AECA2576E

But the form factor is still not basic enough to compare even so starts at $50 bux more.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I was thinking of one of Lenovo's other models possibly that has the screen you can remove making it a Touch Pad. I saw that demoed and it ran Windows in Laptop mode but switched to Linux when detached. Actually very neat. I can't recall the model tho?

PIN/ID
    ask
    ahh yes think i know what you refer too. Lenovo's Hybrid:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/l...ablet-by-nigh/

Now that's innovation!

A video here

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

you know what, on second thought i might wait for a next release. i just realized there's no camera.. ok?
    Paolo
    Apple MacBook Pro

PIN/ID
    Retired
    The new SDK thinks there's a camera. I'm betting there will be one OR as I've read there are two camera accesories options where u plug a camera into it and have that option.

I also see VoIP is back and available. Skype, iCall etc should be happy.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    I really like the design of the iPad. Im glad Apple and AT&T gave the option of 3G for the iPad with not strapping anyone into a 2yr contract with the device. The ability to on-the-go get and signup for internet access with wifi is unavailable is awesome. Still anxious to see how it is in person, no doubts on apple products, just waiting to see how the sales go off the bat.

Additionally, the Plus side again is, a (so far) secure OS, with minimal to NO virus to date... may change in the future, but for now it seems very stable.

A+++ Apple!
    i3-2100, 8GB, 90GB Vertex3, 1.5TB HDD, HD6850OC, 23"ACER LED Monitor (Gaming Rig)
    1.83ghz Macbook 1,1 (School work, Websurfer)
    4GB Mini, 2GB Nano, 30GB Video, 8GB iPhone 3GS, iPad1
    BB Bold 9900

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    You raise a good point there. Many current iPhone users migrated to iPhone only because of iPod or iPod Touch ownership. This device offers yet another avenue for consumers to give Apple a try and then possible grab other drives such and Macbooks and iPhones.
    Good point, but I still say this is a waste of technology. I can't foresee many people buying this. Put out the new iPhone already!

Quote Originally Posted by smooth10 View Post
    Good point, but I still say this is a waste of technology. I can't foresee many people buying this. Put out the new iPhone already!
    I wouldn't say it's a waste of tech. It's definitely a first step. Just like how the iPhone evolved into the iPhone 3GS, this will too. I'll definitely buy the second release if it comes out with a camera and some other improvements. I'd really only use it for fun and browsing since my G1 is an impeccable phone.
    Paolo
    Apple MacBook Pro

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    It's not for me, I am an iPod Touch user but really have no desire to own one of these. I won't pay a monthly fee for the 3G version and I already have the Touch and my laptop to use on wifi. To me it seems like too many accessories would be needed to make this comfortable to use. A stand to prop it in a good viewable position, an optional physical keyboard, discussion of possible plug in camera. If I'm gonna lug all that stuff I would just as soon carry my laptop unless I want ultra portability then I will use my iPod Touch or my DROID. Of course without trying it myself I can't make a real judgment but I have read that it's touch keyboard is awkward to type on and the weight of it really requires 2 hands to hold for any length of time.

It will have it's niche audiences of people who really find it useful and those who must have every new gadget.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast