Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you listened to the PSCast (Episode 2) this week, we touched a little on ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Apple's Advantage over the Blackberry: Way More Memory

Advertisement

If you listened to the PSCast (Episode 2) this week, we touched a little on this very subject. Will the future BlackBerry devices be able to support an app store?

seekingalpha.com: With the Blackberry app store launching by the end of March 2009, a dramatic new problem will emerge with full force: Where is the application memory to run these new applications? In order to understand the magnitude of this problem, we have to look at the mother of all app store pioneers: Apple and the iPhone.

Ask almost any iPhone user what excites them about the iPhone, and almost all of them answer immediately that it's the app store, with many thousands of apps available. Many iPhone users have page after page after page worth of applications that they have downloaded. It seems like iPhone users install dozens and dozens of applications, and I don't see any signs of abatement. We may be entering a situation where most iPhone users love their platform so much because they have hundreds of applications running.

The Blackberry app store is being launched for the obvious reason that it's becoming the critical tool in the competitive tool kit. Without a vibrant developer community, it's very difficult to compete. The analogy with the PC world is pretty strong, and possibly even stronger given that location-based services generate so many more application possibilities that aren't as meaningful in the PC world. Here is the problem: An iPhone has 8 gig or 16 gig worth of memory, compared to a Blackberry, which has 64, 96, 128 or 256 meg worth of app memory, depending on the model. Yes, I know these numbers are not perfectly "apples to blackberries" (no pun intended), because Blackberry has an expansion card slot and the iPhone doesn't, and so forth. But keep in mind that the Blackberry's expansion memory is for multimedia (pictures, music, etc) storage, not for running apps or even containing things such as the address book that synchronizes with Outlook. One can also argue that an iPhone typically contains a lot more multimedia than most Blackberries, but Blackberries also synch with iTunes for DRM-free content, so that gap should narrow as awareness of this ability grows.

Those caveats aside, the SMALLEST iPhone (8 gig) has 32x the application memory of the LARGEST Blackberry (256 meg for the 8900 model). The manner in which most users will feel this dramatic 32x difference is in the ability to install new apps. Clearly, while some Blackberry apps have tended to carry a small memory footprint, one of the attractions of the iPhone is that those apps are very rich in their appearance and functionality, so in order to compete, Blackberry apps may have to become larger in order to be competitive.

[read more]

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    RIM will prolly allow ppl to put apps on memory card easiest solutio
    n I can think of!

skillz9669 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    209949D9
    I would think so too but from my personal point of view most things run SLOWER off a memory card than device memory. I do hope this isn't a failing move for blackberry because it will be hard to compete in this category with the iphone. Just a way for those iphone luvrs to gloat at us. I don't wanna be caught bringing a knife to a gunfight. DON'T SCREW THIS UP RIM!!!
    -Skillz-

"If winners never quit and quitters never win, then people who never win and never quit are just IDIOTS"

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Thats what sets us aside from I phone users, WE DONT need 12 programs that basically do the exact same thing, nor do we need mindless click programs just to amuze our higer intuition

We know what we need and know where to come to find reviews for the best of what we need

Less choice and less interference leads to greater produtivity, let them keep their 8gb
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    I would still love the option to put apps on memory card...

KriK no está en línea Stack level 3
    Something needs to happen because even on my Bold I find it getting laggy cause of the amount of apps I have on there.

If I delete some it runs smoother.

C'mon RIM where is our 16GB devices?
    I believe in paying for quality products!
    Support PinStack.com by getting a premium membership.
    Click HERE for your membership options

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yeah but that is stand alone memory. With the expandable memory card you can get the same amount of memory as the iphone. As long as Sandisk keep making a higher gig SD card; I have nothing to worry about. When it comes to the apps; yeah some of them are nice, but the majority of them are dumb and lame plus you have to pay for things you will only use about 1 time.., get an iphone because there's an app for that....LOL How cheesy.

I will stick to my Blackberry. The only disappointment I found with my BB is that there is no flash software to view flash videos. They need to fix that soon.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    The timing of all these grand schemes seems to indicate that the introduction of the iPhone prompted RIM's decision to focus on the consumer market, and that they worked with what they had to put phones out there in a hurry. Otherwise we would've seen a better browser and more native memory by now.
    Believe it or not, Waterloo is playing catch-up to Apple in this venue, and it shows.
    Last edited by Berryadict; 01-29-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: punctuation

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Blackberry's Advantage over Apple: Cheap expandable memory

PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Couldn't be said any better ssnxp! +1

i believe it will be a matter of time before RIM releases a firmware that will allow for us to use the 1GB on the bold or storm built in memory that would be a great add on i dont believe its in need for a hardware change instead just a software change
    Last edited by MackDaddy135; 01-29-2009 at 07:13 PM.

dtrick128 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I constantly remove terrible apps. With that much memory you would just leave them. I like werewolf movies.

jr!
    jr! no está en línea Stack level 3
    I am always running out of memory on my 8130, I've had to delete all kinds of cool apps already.

Jazzyl no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2521CB60
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Rim needs to find a solution to increase the memory for applications. Well being able to save some of your apps in the SD card is one of them..but I'm sure Rim is working on this as we speak as this is very important especially with the new app store coming up very soon. Please Rim fix this or just increase the memory (onboard) on all the new devices like 1Gb standard or something.just an idea!!!!

PIN/ID
    LESS
    If they were the expand the internal memory, I believe the memory card makers may be a little ticked about this. Not only would this send a trend or a domino effect with other phones and cause big fight with contracts phone manufacturers may have.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast