Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seems Apple is now a Company on the offensive side of a new Lawsuit. I ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Apple Sues HTC for Patent Infringement

Advertisement

Seems Apple is now a Company on the offensive side of a new Lawsuit. I kind of thought we may see something like this when I began trying out some of the HTC products. They are very nice and up till recently only Apple was able to accomplish certain Touch Screen abilities. It's worth noting Apple did nothing against Palm, even though that was a similar situation.
    Apple has decided to go after HTC instead.

CUPERTINO, California—March 2, 2010—Apple® today filed a lawsuit against HTC for infringing on 20 Apple patents related to the iPhone’s user interface, underlying architecture and hardware. The lawsuit was filed concurrently with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and in U.S. District Court in Delaware.

“We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We’ve decided to do something about it,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours.”

Full Press Release

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Not surprising since they were granted the multi touch patent just over a month ago.....will be interesting to see where this goes...
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    And the lawsuit round-robin continues. I gotta throw it out there after reading the press release that Apple did not reinvent the mobile phone with the iPhone. While it was a change of pace and good innovation on their part, it did not revolutionize the industry.

PIN/ID
    Retired

An Update

Here is some additional information about the lawsuit TechCrunch posted.

The patents that it says are being infringed include:

Patent No. 7,362,331: “Time-Based, Non-Constant Translation Of User Interface Objects Between States”
    Patent No. 7,479,949: “Touch Screen Device, Method, And Graphical User Interface For Determining Commands By Applying Heuristics”
    Patent No. 7,657,849: “Unlocking A Device By Performing Gestures On An Unlock Image”
    Patent No. 7,469,381: “List Scrolling And Document Translation, Scaling, And Rotation On A Touch-Screen Display”
    Patent No. 5,920,726: “System And Method For Managing Power Conditions Within A Digital Camera Device.”
    Patent No. 7,633,076: “Automated Response To And Sensing Of User Activity In Portable Devices”
    Patent No. 5,848,105: “GMSK Signal Processors For Improved Communications Capacity And Quality”
    Patent No. 7,383,453: “Conserving Power By Reducing Voltage Supplied To An Instruction-Processing Portion Of A Processor”
    Patent No. 5,455,599: “Object-Oriented Graphic System”
    Patent No. 6,424,354: “Object-Oriented Event Notification System With Listener Registration Of Both Interests And Methods”

Another complaint was filed with the ITC and may include other patents, since there are only ten here and Apple claims 20 patents are being infringed altogether.

I attached a PDF file of the complaint. I don't know how to embed it in the post
    Attached Files Attached Files

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Apple Must Think We Forgot About That 100,000.00 settlement

I found the last statement of Mr. Job kinda funny, considering had it not been for "Creative's Patents" there would be no IPhone interface. And You know I still have Creative's first mp3 6gb (CD Walkman size ) player.

Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours.”
    "Remember all that talk of Creative beating Apple to the punch with patenting various elements of the iPod's UI? Today these talks came to an end, with Apple whipping out the checkbook, and Creative (I'm assuming) throwing a party.

[Read More]

Just wondering how much of this is a round about way of trying to hinder Google's Android OS from becoming as popular as Apple's mobile OS....
    Last edited by DjSmooth; 03-02-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Random Thoughts

Les
    Les no está en línea Stack level 3
    I thought every touch screen out there used that coding that is patent. How can you patent a universal code? Well anyway more lawsuites will continue. Looks like apple has most of the codes patent that alows any touch screen to work.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Engadget has broken down the lawsuit and it's claims. Apple vs HTC: a patent breakdown. It's interesting and a long read.

Hmmmm....... IF this goes to court does the Judge have to excuse himself or herself if they have a iPhone or Android phone? Hahahaha
    Last edited by srl7741; 03-02-2010 at 04:09 PM.

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    This is growing old. Android will inevitably pass apple os anyway.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

Guess this saids it all: Apple Asks Court To Ban Google Phones

Apple on Tuesday asked the U.S. International Trade Commission to block the importation into the country of HTC's Google Android-based mobile phones, including the Google-branded Nexus One.

Apple asked the court for "a permanent exclusion order" that would bar from entry "all mobile communications devices and components" made by HTC that carry the offending technologies, according to court documents. [Read More]

Looks like not just Android, HTC touch phones like the WinMo Touch Diamond and Imagio as well....good grief!! So I wonder if Motorola is next or if they used some totally different technology for the Droid.
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Google has offered a Statement of Support for HTC

Link 1
    Link 2

"We are not a party to this lawsuit. However, we stand behind our Android operating system and the partners who have helped us to develop it," a Google spokesperson emailed us.

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Okay so Apple is fighting with Nokia, now HTC will Motorola be next or maybe even RIM? Will Apple allow AT&T to offer any of the Android phones?

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDog View Post
    Okay so Apple is fighting with Nokia, now HTC will Motorola be next or maybe even RIM? Will Apple allow AT&T to offer any of the Android phones?
    Good Question. Will this effect AT&T being able to release any Android devices or will it push them back till the Court has made a determination?

It wont stop the backflip since motorola has not been named and i doubt it will have multi touch....but they have messed so much with the backflip that not too many people will want it anyway
    Twitter? My Apps List

Will Apple's Patents Banish HTC Phones?

This would really suck for all those wanting an HTC/Android Device:

Weighing the potential outcomes of Apple's patent infringement lawsuit against HTC, several IP and patent lawyers say HTC's phones could be barred from the United States, but both sides will probably look for a licensing agreement before getting to that point.

To recap, Apple sued HTC for allegedly infringing 20 patents in its mobile phones. The lawsuit calls out popular Android phones such as the Google Nexus One and the Droid Eris, but also mentions the Windows Mobile-powered Imagio. What makes this lawsuit particularly interesting is that Apple filed with the U.S. International Trade Commission, which has the power to stop infringing products from being imported stateside, as well as the U.S. District Court in Delaware. [Read More]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast