Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There will always be diehards for all manufacturers, but the iPhone is an amazing leap ... Smartphone News forum

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Apple shows how to launch a new device! Watch an learn RIM

Advertisement

There will always be diehards for all manufacturers, but the iPhone is an amazing leap in smartphones and it was launched with great attention to detail. Steve Jobs is a master at that....you should read the book on his career if you have not..."The Second Coming of Steve Jobs". I love my 8700, but this phone will be an entirely new experience with seamless integration for all Mac users, and Windows users alike. That alone is worth its cost!!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Apple shows how to launch a new device! Watch an learn RIM

How can this "kill" (never mind that no alleged "Blackberry killer" has ever succeeded) any Blackberry when it doesn't have push email?

I'm not sure about the soft keyboard either but only real-world use will address that concern. Still, I can't see it being useful other than for those who are very light SMS or email users. I'm especially concerned that with Apple's track record the phone willl need a screen protector (if not a full body protector) and that will definitely affect usability of the soft keyboard. Touch screens have also always been problematic in my experience. Apple may be able to get it all right but I'd want to comtemplate my navel just about as much as I'd want to speculate on these matters.

It's an impressive presentation but comparing it to a Blackberry is an apples and orages comparison.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    How can this "kill" (never mind that no alleged "Blackberry killer" has ever succeeded) any Blackberry when it doesn't have push email?

I'm not sure about the soft keyboard either but only real-world use will address that concern. Still, I can't see it being useful other than for those who are very light SMS or email users. I'm especially concerned that with Apple's track record the phone willl need a screen protector (if not a full body protector) and that will definitely affect usability of the soft keyboard. Touch screens have also always been problematic in my experience. Apple may be able to get it all right but I'd want to comtemplate my navel just about as much as I'd want to speculate on these matters.

It's an impressive presentation but comparing it to a Blackberry is an apples and orages comparison.
    They have push email through Yahoo.

melerant no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    32C029E1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~love the QWERTY can't switch. I don't like mac, Im not a graphic designer. Ill check it out when some one gets one. My friends are all going nutz about it. There about to sell things around the house on ebay to get it. Look if I want all the toys and the nice screen I can sync my 8703 to a pda with bluetooth and, shazam smart phone. Isn't this a bb forum.

cclaw125 no está en línea Stack level 3

The iPhone is pretty impressive, but I still will be a loyal Blackberry fan.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

This is a beautiful debate

Question: If you are in the market for a new phone and have been looking at the Pearl as a phone due to it's multimedia capabilites, thin design and the coolness factor (a large part of the Pearl user base). However, as a consumer who's very satisfied with your ipod and thus the iphone is a must have... How many users will pay for both? Also, if choosing one how many will choose the Pearl excluding the business users.

The Blackberry sales as far as a secure email/business tool are sucure when it comes to the iphone. However, RIM's recent user base growth has been mostly new 8100 owners. Will prospective 8100 owners who many arn't BIG on email want the iPhone?

I'm an 8700 user with over 50 - 100 emails per day. The iphone could never compete or replace my BlackBerry. Now, beyond secure, seamless email, why should a consumer get the Pearl instead of the iPhone?

Quoting above I don't think it's a BlackBerry killer but "In my view the iPhone is a "BlackBerry Pearl" killer or at least a spoke in the wheel of growth via the Pearl."

nabitheking no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3047E391

Perhaps it's about time that RIM shows the public what the 8800's are about.
    There is a big difference between in KNOWING what it does and SEING what it does. I don't see myself getting an iPhone, but what Jobs did in showing how well made the product is in real life kinda was impressive.
    Imagine someone high up from RIM doing a presentation on the upcoming 8800. I know I will get an 8800 when it is out regardless, but RIM will get a lot more smartphone buyers, BB users or not, excited once again.
    Beware RIM! Time for some action?

macleem no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

too expensive for me and i am not switching to cingular for it

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by digitalslack
    it's 500 bucks for the 4GB model
    the 8GB model is 600 bucks
    kinda expensive i think
    thats my point as well and for the regular consumer this is a bit much considering they wont need the e-mail, web browing, and other functions. For the regular consumer its just going to be a phone + ipod. RIM usually has a target market of professional users, those who actually need the services of their device. Also what os will it run because for all we know it could have a lot of bugs in it. IMO the pricing is what will do them in because most regular people wont be willing to pay that much for a phone with ipod capabilities the only people I know who are willing to pay that much for a device are bb users

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by nabitheking
    Perhaps it's about time that RIM shows the public what the 8800's are about.
    There is a big difference between in KNOWING what it does and SEING what it does. I don't see myself getting an iPhone, but what Jobs did in showing how well made the product is in real life kinda was impressive.
    Imagine someone high up from RIM doing a presentation on the upcoming 8800. I know I will get an 8800 when it is out regardless, but RIM will get a lot more smartphone buyers, BB users or not, excited once again.
    Beware RIM! Time for some action?

I agree. RIM needs to advertise a bit more.

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

as i predicted it is the same as all apple products looks good but way over priced. you gan get a phone that does the same things for $100 to $200 .the pearl nokia 61/62 samsung blackjack and many others.as far as marketing apple is very good rim should hold one of these bill gates windows style debutes anounceing the 8800.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Okay. Where to begin.

First off I am tired of hearing all the hype on the news about this device. Bah. Especially the whole "apple stock jumped 8% yesterday!".

So what? Go look at RIMs stock spikes when something was leaked (case in point, go back and look at RIM's stock just days ago when the photos started surfacing of the 8800 device, and back when the Pearl launched). But moving on from that.

Multimedia. Yeah. That's nice. But people are cheap, that's a proven fact. So what does that mean? It means yeah, there are people who use itunes to download music and video, but come on, with P2P programs (morpheus, kazaa, torrents, etc) people always want free. So are THOSE types of files going to be able to be converted and put onto this device? Or are you going to just be stuck only getting your videos/music from itunes? Think about that.

Next. I hear people complaining ALL THE TIME about there not being enough 3rd party applications for the BlackBerry devices. Do you think you are going to be able to have tons of "add-ons" for the Iphone? Atleast with BB, you have an extra outlet of being able to go to a site such as GetJar and having a chance that the software there works.

The price: yeah, its pretty steep. But so is everything else when it first comes out. Eventually the price will drop after low sales and you will see discounts. Who do I see getting this when it first comes out? Geeks and people with too much money (or whose parents have too much money) who want to look cool. Atleast BlackBerry is price comparable to other phones, and that's why we have seen a surge in younger users. But with this device, not many parents are going to be like "oh yeah sure, let's go get that for little Suzy!". I forsee those parents going "yeah, look, here's a nice shiny sidekick". This device is aimed towards the 20-35 group, plain and simple. You will see people at Starbucks using these and they will still have their trusty Mac with them.

Touchscreen/no keypad??? No thanks. Reminds me of an old Sprint phone that I had where you could touch the screen for messages and whatnot, and boy what a PITA was THAT! And I am not talking about fingerprints. I could care less about that because I have prints all over my devices. But I am talking about the calibration and all of that. It gets whacked. Not to mention its easier to break (which Apple prob doesn't care about because that's just extra parts/repair $ for them coming in). Actually, while I am sitting here typing this on my Berry, I am wondering how much I would hate it if I were typing this on my old Sprint. It would drive me crazy.

Cingular with a Multi-year exclusive? For their sake this BETTER take off and sell well. That is a HUGE risk for a carrier to spend that much money on getting an exclusive and then it tanks. But on the flip side, this means that the BB's that Cingy carries could get real cheap, real fast.

The rest of it. Don't know, and don't really care. I am sure if I read more about this toy (I mean phone) then I would have opinions on other things, but these are just the ones that come to the top of my head.

Personally, do I see this a threat to RIM? Sure. About as much of a threat as Cricket phones. This is one device I won't be the least interested in. Sure, I will look at one, play with it, but no way you will see me shelling out $ on it, ESPECIALLY a first generation one.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jwlussow no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am a regular consumer and I am planning on getting one. I already own an 80 gig iPod so I am not doing this for the music. The iPhone will change the industry. Apple's engineers are the best designers and Apple does not waste a lot of energy on stuff that might not sell. When Steve Jobs says he will sell 10,000,000 of these by 2008 I for one believe him. I paid $399 for my i7100 with a contract so why does everybody act like RIM is giving BBs away? The iPhone will do to the smartphone/PDA market what the iPod did for the music/video market. It has push email, built in Wi Fi,
    Bluetooth, integrated browser, and complete cross platform computer support. I'll bet this is not only going to attact consumers. This sounds like it can woo some corporate interest also.
    Last edited by jwlussow; 01-10-2007 at 07:06 PM.

PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Always interesting when something new and exciting hits the market. I found this "review" helpful....http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/0...th-the-iphone/

LadyRaider no está en línea Stack level 2

1. The screen is made of some strong new stuff.
    2. It will have push email... from yahoo at least.
    3. The browser/web stuff on other smart phones NEED to catch up. That's the big thing that will make the iphone superior. The web browser is what makes this phone absolutely superior, I think.

Video Player? Music player? Nice, but don't you like your light nanos and shuffles for exercising and your ipod video serves well as a stereo... not something you carry around. I don't think anyone will trade their phones in especially since I bet they already have an ipod. PLUS... no matter how big the screen is (3.5 in.) it's STILL SMALL.

I think if the SOFTWARE (I think it's a software issue... I hope) side of web browsing gets as good as the iphone, it'll all be fine for other smartphone manufacturers.

Also, the "visual voice mail" feature where you don't have to listen to your voice mail in order... you can skip around to the one you want to hear. VALUABLE... that'd be a nice feature for the other manufacturers to emulate. Not a deal maker on the iphone, though.

I stil like the look of the pearl better.

I wasn't all that impressed with the using of fingers to type on the screen. The rest of the interface was COOL though.

Fix the browser, save the blackberry world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast