Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sfgate.com : Draw a line from Cupertino to Mountain View to Sunnyvale and then back ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Apple, Google, Palm rule smart phones

Advertisement

sfgate.com: Draw a line from Cupertino to Mountain View to Sunnyvale and then back to Cupertino, and you get what one technology analyst calls the Golden Triangle for smart phones.

These are the respective headquarters of Apple, Google and Palm, and collectively, they're pushing the pace of innovation for smart phones, creating a new center for mobile development and raising the bar on what consumers are coming to expect from the mini portable computers in their pocket.

Apple set the world on fire in 2007 with the iPhone, a powerful and slick mobile computer that was fun and easy to use. Google's Android operating system premiered last fall in the G1 from T-Mobile to strong reviews and will make its way onto 18 phones this year. And on June 6, Palm released the Palm Pre and its webOS, which many critics claimed was the closest competitor to the iPhone.

These companies, keep in mind, don't make the best-selling smart phone platforms; Nokia with its Symbian OS is the worldwide leader, while Research in Motion's BlackBerry OS leads in the United States. But the three valley companies, with their brand-new operating systems, are redefining the smart phone space with more intuitive interfaces, Internet integration and a focus on software that is forcing their more established rivals to scurry to catch up.

[read more]

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    One is toy, the other is a flimsy thing, last one is so in-depth and complicated it don't even know how to run itself. Its so funny how all these dam sites and writers talk about how innovated these phones are, when they are not spectacular at all. 80% of the people wont use 60 percent of these phones capabilities, 45% will only buy it cause its new and it is a touch screen phone, 30% won't even have the data plan to fully use the phones but yet they walk around like they do. 90% will have the phone for 2 years then switch to the next gen of the same phone but not know nor even tap the phones full capabilities.

I have been using smart phones ever since they hit the market. I have learn that no mater how pretty you make the interface, if the phone does not focus its strength on things that everyone uses everyday; it is worthless.

But all bashing aside; they are heading in the right direction, how long for them to get there; time will tell.
    Last edited by planneau; 06-15-2009 at 08:36 AM.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Im inclined to agree I have seen the same trends, most people get the phones for show, when alot of the time they use no more functions than what was available on regular nokia phones from like 10 years ago. I even knew a few people that had some BBs without the data plan, I mean seriously whats the point of buying a 250-500 smart phone and dont use most of the features that make up the cost of it?
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Change is good

Considering the source of the article is always important. Throwing that aside RIM seems to be more interested in putting out a new models with the same old OS each year. Sure they add additional menu items or even a new menu but other than the Storm, how many models of BB's have come out since the Pearl? Be sure to include all carrier models. (I lost count) The OS really has not changed other than icons, colors, etc. The current phones and the first gen Pearl are the same.
    The phones are awesome but it just seems like it's time for something new.
    Even tho I have that opinion my Bold is the best phone I've ever had (God knows i've have a lot).

So when Palm or whoever else comes out with a new OS, one full of new eye candy it's difficult to remain on board with RIM's current plans to keep offering new phones with what seems to be the same OS.

Adding, WiFi, 3G or other features in not enough anymore. Those are all main stream features. The Wow factor is what many people are looking for.

I should add this was NEVER the case for RIM till they began selling the very first Peal. The Pearl changed everything for them. The Pearl was one of RIM's best ideas. Now it's time for something new out of RIM. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Will they improve the Storm or combine it with the Bold in some fashion?

Change is good.

Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin View Post
    Im inclined to agree I have seen the same trends, most people get the phones for show, when alot of the time they use no more functions than what was available on regular nokia phones from like 10 years ago. I even knew a few people that had some BBs without the data plan, I mean seriously whats the point of buying a 250-500 smart phone and dont use most of the features that make up the cost of it?

I also agree with this. I not only agree with it, it's the truth. It's no different that anything else. TV's, SUV's, excessive cloths, shoes, heck I could really go on a rant with that one.
    Last edited by srl7741; 06-15-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    year. Sure they add additional menu items or even a new menu but other than the Storm, how many models of BB's have come out since the Pearl? Be sure to include all carrier models. (I lost count) The OS really has not changed other than icons, colors, etc. The current phones and the first gen Pearl are the same.
    The phones are awesome but it just seems like it's time for something new.
    Even tho I have that opinion my Bold is the best phone I've ever had (God knows i've have a lot).
    I agree. The blackberry OS is not gonna stun you with it's user interface or deeply dazzle you with countless apps that mimic a fat man's flatulence, but it will out perform all these devices when it comes to Email and messaging.

In all honesty I think that the Iphone is the only one up there that desereves the crown for innovation. That mongloid android phone has not shown us anything new, just a new OS with a Linux kernal made by google that performs really well with google services. Wow, Innovating.

The pre? Fail. It will never live up to the hype. The let down will be so bad that apple will create an app for it. The card's are cool, but it does'nt go beyond that, Not for me anyway. It was uncomfortable to troll the pre forums on release day and to witness people trying to talk themselves into liking this phone "It does'nt sync with outlook, thats ok cause outlook is a thing of the past. Its time to move on" It was sad to say the least.

My opinion It should be Iphone and blackberry. One device has better media,web sufing and has taken gaming on a cell phone to another level. The other has superior mesaging, email and call quality, not to mention that old thing we call reliabilty.

I understand where your coming from "srl7741" about the menu icons. But I agree RIM leaving the menu icons the same. Why spend all this time and money to change the icons when as soon as themes are available for BB you will change the theme. I understand if themes was not available at all then change the icons; which is not the case.

I like the whole idea of being able to change the theme of your phone. That is one area that apple should have invest in but they didn't. If you do a poll, i beat ya 85% of Iphone users love the idea of changing the phone's theme. It gets boring looking at the same old thing. That's why ppl change screen savers.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    mongloid android phone
    HAHAHAHHA...... so true, I don't say it but I've always thought that. That's great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    I understand where your coming from "srl7741" about the menu icons. But I agree RIM leaving the menu icons the same. Why spend all this time and money to change the icons when as soon as themes are available for BB you will change the theme. I understand if themes was not available at all then change the icons; which is not the case.

I like the whole idea of being able to change the theme of your phone. That is one area that apple should have invest in but they didn't. If you do a poll, i beat ya 85% of Iphone users love the idea of changing the phone's theme. It gets boring looking at the same old thing. That's why ppl change screen savers.
    I can't make up my mind on that one yet? I've been watching that closely for a long time. I was using the CDK back in 2005 before anyone knew what it was or even cared about Theme(s). At one point I thought RIM was going to take over the Theme(s) area and make money from it but then I changed my mind after seeing the App store open with no Theme(s) and also not seeing them available to download through any RIM mechanism. Actually I was willing to bet RIM was using the CDK to test the market and also develop the software to a very stable theme. I changed my mind though based on several things that have happened.
    One is there are soooo many versions of a BB's OS and two the CDK is buggy at best. I realize it's very stable compared to what it was but nevertheless it's still difficult to make a Theme that will be 100% solid across all BB OS's. There is always some tiny little thing that pops ups.

Actually what I think happened was that RIM had no idea how popular Theme(s) would be and they had no Idea how much money could be made from them. By the time they did see it, it was too late and there are thousands of people turning out some awesome work now. It would be a disaster for RIM to attempt to take back the CDK software and use it for their own. So IDK? That's an interesting discussion by itself, what is really going on with the CDK.

I wish I knew what Apple was thinking with customization of the iPhone? That would also be neat to know the truth about that. Mac OS X is customizable and actually very neat to work with. Yet the iPhone has to be Jail Hacked to put themes on it. The Theme(s) are neat and I could no nutZ with making those.
    I can only guess it has to do with stability of the phone and of course that takes us back to RIM and why or why they haven't embraced it yet? That is why I say IDK? It's such a neat thing that everyone loves yet it's not really supported by either.

Any thoughts on that?
    Last edited by srl7741; 06-15-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling errors

joek71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    319CCF42
    I was a huge RIM fan and had 8330 and then i went back to Palm Pre where i started with Treo 650. Palm wont fail this time how they did before, hope they got brains this time around. And about the Pre it is only what a week old? Has lot of room to grow with proper guidense, what i found is that if any phone does what you need it to do then it doesnt matter what phone it is, it can be a tin can with string. All these companies have got there own little piece of the pie.
    TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB_KC_Boy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2079E897
    Now see i love my Blackberry i have had it since the Old B&W (C++) days.. Btu i use a lot of the stuff on my BB and love it.. After moving to my first one long ago i have never looked at a normal cell the same..

But out of them 3 i would go with the G1... As a programmer i love Open Source. I like that anyone can load the Rom and mod it...

But Plus being a TMO User and i love TMO... By phones i get are based on what TMO Has in Stock or What i can get for a cheap Unlock. But 90 of the time i am rolling a BB.
    T- Mobile G1 using Cyanogen Build 4.1.11.1 Android 1.6 On T-Mobile Network
    Running a Hero Based Theme

I AM A PC AND LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

taynepope no está en línea Stack level 2
    "My opinion It should be Iphone and blackberry. One device has better media,web sufing and has taken gaming on a cell phone to another level. The other has superior mesaging, email and call quality, not to mention that old thing we call reliabilty"

I agree with your post. It should be iphone and bb. B/c they really stand out in their capabilites. We are at the point of renewal and may consider the iphone in a few months after the hype dies down. Hopefully the new storm will come out soon. Our 1st criterion for choosing a phone is can we get reception at our home??
    once that is met, we can look at all the do-dads that accompany the device

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    A solid browser with flash.
    Better and more media codecs.
    And then nothing will beat the BB in my opinion.

With all the previous rants about the Storm, and deservedly so, the 2 Storms that I have with 4.7.0.148......Flawless!!!
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Brilliant article and picture! G1 wearing the crown is only fitting!
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    HAHAHAHHA...... so true, I don't say it but I've always thought that. That's great stuff.

I can't make up my mind on that one yet? I've been watching that closely for a long time. I was using the CDK back in 2005 before anyone knew what it was or even cared about Theme(s). At one point I thought RIM was going to take over the Theme(s) area and make money from it but then I changed my mind after seeing the App store open with no Theme(s) and also not seeing them available to download through any RIM mechanism. Actually I was willing to bet RIM was using the CDK to test the market and also develop the software to a very stable theme. I changed my mind though based on several things that have happened.
    One is there are soooo many versions of a BB's OS and two the CDK is buggy at best. I realize it's very stable compared to what it was but nevertheless it's still difficult to make a Theme that will be 100% solid across all BB OS's. There is always some tiny little thing that pops ups.

Actually what I think happened was that RIM had no idea how popular Theme(s) would be and they had no Idea how much money could be made from them. By the time they did see it, it was too late and there are thousands of people turning out some awesome work now. It would be a disaster for RIM to attempt to take back the CDK software and use it for their own. So IDK? That's an interesting discussion by itself, what is really going on with the CDK.

I wish I knew what Apple was thinking with customization of the iPhone? That would also be neat to know the truth about that. Mac OS X is customizable and actually very neat to work with. Yet the iPhone has to be Jail Hacked to put themes on it. The Theme(s) are neat and I could no nutZ with making those.
    I can only guess it has to do with stability of the phone and of course that takes us back to RIM and why or why they haven't embraced it yet? That is why I say IDK? It's such a neat thing that everyone loves yet it's not really supported by either.

Any thoughts on that?
    So true.....I thought rim would have invested in the theme department as well, but they didn't. I found out about themes when i had my second BB was the 7520. I got another taste of it when i moved over to Tmo and got the 8100. But I wasn't theme junky until someone pointed out to Pinstack. Then I was like WOW! no wonder RIM didn't invest in themes because we as users stole the opportunity from them. Now there are themes that are animated.

A theme section on app world would be killer. They should have free themes and premium themes. Good idea srl7741

Apple don't like to listen to there Mac heads so that is why you have some folks jail breaking there iphones just to have themes and other apps, causing apple to go on a "That is not your phone its apple and we will sue you if you jailbreak it" bunch of losers. Not like RIM that allows third party apps and more.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Android market has many themes paid and free!

Truth be told, I PHONE AND BB fans alike, would drool over the features and apps the G1 has. Wether it be running apps from your sd card, to using torrent apps to find any media you like. What about widgets, and live folders? What about navigating the UI? Touchscreen, trackball, hardware and virtual keyboard.

Yes the G1 is Miles ahead of any BB you want to bring to the table! And this article is totally accurate. RIM does need to catch up! Still releasing phone without wifi or 3g!?!?
    The reliability is overrated as well. The hand off from wifi to edge on the curve is a joke! It drops the call, not sometime, but EVERY TIME!
    Anyway, we can just call these phones The Big 3!
    Continue on with the bashing now. LMAO
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    Retired
    It's really not that hard. Here are a few thoughts I wish I could say to #1 of each company.

Apple: Add all the features you left out that are standard in most phones.

RIM: Stop putting out countless models of phones that all have different features and make one line with ALL features. Your customers are confused, who has what model and what features it has or doesn't have.

Palm: Keep developing and faster please. Competition is good for everyone.

Google: Read the Palm request and leave behind the Mongoloid design please.

Now, get to work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast