I am desperately waiting the arrival of a new (preferably 8000 series) Nextel Blackberry device ... Smartphone News forum

esvhaynes no está en línea Stack level 1

Any worthy rumors of a new Nextel Blackberry on the horizon??

Advertisement

I am desperately waiting the arrival of a new (preferably 8000 series) Nextel Blackberry device with PTT and bluetooth capability, along with most of the other bells and whistles. The 7100 and the 7250 (I think it is) both suck and don't have any of the technological things that other carriers are offering with their new BB's. Please forgive any ignorance, I am a newbie, but am also a former TMO subscriber with a Blackberry Pearl plus a couple of Treo's- which I also would not object to. Why does Nextel not broaden their selection of PDA's to make them more competitive with other carriers on the market today? If I weren't stuck under contract I would consid er switching, I'm just not sure any of the other carriers are any better. Anyone have any news leaks/rumors about pending Blackberry or Treo's for the Nextel market where I can keep my much used PTT feature?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by cp6169; 10-22-2007 at 11:22 PM.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Any worthy rumors of a new Nextel Blackberry on the horizon??

Nothing in the near future. You said you would switch if you were not in contract, so the direct connect must not be that important to you, so just get a Sprint BB like the 8830 or soon to be 8130. I just think you will be waiting too long, just settle for something now to hold you over.

Prorock no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~If you want new BBs at&t is it.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Sprint is rumored a hybrid BB. They can't tell me when, but Sprint service + Nextel PTT. Nothing new from Nextel is coming.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)aren't those hybrid phones only running off of sprints home towers ?

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta
    Sprint is rumored a hybrid BB. They can't tell me when, but Sprint service + Nextel PTT. Nothing new from Nextel is coming.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    To have a true hybrid BB, Sprint, Motorola, and RIM would all need to work and play nice together. It's more likely that Sprint's much anticipated PTT solution will allow their CDMA users to direct connect to their iDEN users, and vica versa. All of that functionality can be managed internally within a switching network, with no outside influence whatsoever.

Another possibility is that a similar model to the Power Phone series might be used. Currently, those phones use the Sprint network for interconnect and data, and the Nextel network for data. I can see current Nextel users wanting to migrate that way, but I have a hard time seeing it the other way around. The only gain going from a Sprint device to a Power Phone type device is picking up the PTT, but that's still only iDEN to iDEN within the Nextel network.

The first scenario seems to make more sense; it opens a potentially larger user base.

tstrike no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ after talking to a highly placed Nextel source, I switched to a 8830 and gave my wife my 7100i .

Sprint is much cheaper with much more bells and whistles (no PTT)

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Sprint and Nextel have the same rate plans across the board. The only cheaper plans for Sprint are when it comes to family plans, and they are only $10/month cheaper per phone.