Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Normally I don't think to much of surveys because they can be fixed to reflect ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Android vs. iPhone (Study) The Impact On RIM

Advertisement

Normally I don't think to much of surveys because they can be fixed to reflect a desired outcome. Yesterday Crowd Science issued a survey report that is interesting. It' puts the Android device against (or versus) the iPhone but really focuses on how RIM stands to be the loser. Attached to this post is the PDF Report file. (Android Study).

I was not a participent in the Study but have similar feelings to the reports results. I would like to know if PinStack members fit
    the results of the survey? It's no secret PinStack used to be an all Blackberry Forum but switched gears and opened the Forums up to all Smart phones. I'm so happy Hayden made this choice and think it's great to have such a diverse group of people with common interests.

Some highlights from the survey reflect 40% of survey respondents said they plan to ditch their Blackberry handset for an iPhone when it's time to upgrade. 32% of those surveyed said they'd be getting a Nexus One for their next smartphone instead of another Blackberry. 28% of current Blackberry users plan on sticking with the platform.

So what do PS Members think? Is the survey close or way off base and out of touch with users?

Full Article
    PDF Link
    Attached Files Attached Files

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Diversity is good Brand loyalty is good to a point, it's easier to stick with what you know.....and if everything you do with your current phone works for you, then why switch? But if you start craving or even needing more memory, faster/better browsing, more apps, whatever and your current brand is not keeping up then nothing speaks louder to them than changing platforms......

They don't always listen to grumbling of customers, but they listen to money....especially when they hear it saying goodbye as customers walk away to go buy something else. This is an ever changing market, sticking to what has been working ok is good, but there has to be progressive thinking along with it.

Like I've said before, I am not giving up on RIM altogether and hope to have another BB someday, one that will make me smile instead of one that makes me want to smash it to bits every time I see that hourglass spin

Android was a great move for me, I know it's not for everyone, but my Moto Droid was the right device at the right time for me!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Good article for reading...it´s worth a closer look and a read between lines to find the real significance of the smartphone market.
    One thing that stands out is that 44% of those inquired use, or have only the need for a regular cell phone, condition which immediately limits the purpose of the study, especially regarding formulated ideas about the different OS's available.
    I notice also, coincidentally, that the study was held in (considered an excellent marketing and strategic sales ) the Xmas period. The results here should have taken into consideration the emotional reasoning and less than normal pondered purchase. Or the ground basis is missing for a sustainable comparison between the contenders, which, rationally, at any other time of the year, would be devoid of emotion or impulse buying associated to the season.The averages would be marginally different, leading to different conclusions.
    What is made aware in the study, even in a season like that in analysis, is that corporate purchases are the dominant sales barometer. Although mentioned, little value is given, or placed, by this study, on that specific market share.
    I believe that private citizens will make a "conscious" purchase when they finance themselves to obtain a product.
    When they receive a smartphone from the organization they work for, whatever the OS, they will respond differently.
    Considering that "...7% of Blackberry users use their phone only for business, with that category of user minimal with iPhone (1%) and non-existent in the Android base... " exactly portraits what I mention. It's of little or no value, in this survey.
    And this my friends, is critical for programming new products, new marketing strategies, and "dumping" - corporate sales!
    The results, however skew I consider them to be, are nevertheless reflections of things to come...especially if 44% of the population decide to step into the smartphone world.
    Sorry to have you guys read all of this. Thanks for the patience...
    Last edited by Delfim; 03-16-2010 at 07:33 PM.

PIN/ID
    Retired
    I enjoyed your answer and it was what I was hoping for. It continues to be what I've always thought. Using your 44% figure means there remains a very large (potential) customer base and in order to gain their business you need to have a sound eco system in place.

In order to be successful you need an attractive device, simple to use OS, Apps, easy delivery method and a way to manage it's content.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post

In order to be successful you need an attractive device, simple to use OS, Apps, easy delivery method and a way to manage it's content.
    ...and that my friend, is the price of them apples !
    And, fortunately, we'll be around to see all the strategies conjured by the manufacturers.None of them, as yet, have fingered our real needs yet ! They have conditioned our opinions, but none have delivered, and maybe never will.But this is good - it's evolution!
    It will be fun to watch!
    Last edited by Delfim; 03-16-2010 at 08:34 PM.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Android was a great move for me, I know it's not for everyone, but my Moto Droid was the right device at the right time for me!
    I'm the same way, had blackberries, had an iphone. Just wanted to try something new. The Droid Eris was great, but swapped phones to try the moto droid at the last possible second and got locked into the droid. No real complaints, just like the HTC Sense UI more.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by delfim View Post
    especially if 44% of the population decide to step into the smartphone world.
    And that is exactly why Verizon may be offering a new upgrade program for feature phone users. http://forums.pinstack.com/f52/veriz..._rumor-119147/

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    ..........................that makes me want to smash it to bits every time I see that hourglass spin ...............
    Your comments are well stated as always AZ. Actually my Blackberry is capable of doing everything that I need - not that I don't sometimes want a few more features - but that "hour glass" constant spinning is almost more than I can take sometimes and it's likely to drive me away from RIM in the near future. Then I'll be "lost" with a new device for a while.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Your comments are well stated as always AZ. Actually my Blackberry is capable of doing everything that I need - not that I don't sometimes want a few more features - but that "hour glass" constant spinning is almost more than I can take sometimes and it's likely to drive me away from RIM in the near future. Then I'll be "lost" with a new device for a while.
    Something tells me you won't be lost but happy again and possibly more efficiant

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    Something tells me you won't be lost but happy again and possibly more efficiant
    We'll see. When it happens I'm sure you'll see the resulting "stupid" questions from a new device user. Thank goodness for PS and it's users! It's (PS) how I learned my Blackberry!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    ...but that "hour glass" constant spinning is almost more than I can take sometimes and it's likely to drive me away from RIM in the near future. Then I'll be "lost" with a new device for a while.
    You know guys, ever since I announced the arrival of the 9700, and it's been a couple of months, I've never had problems with the "hour glass" .
    This damn smartphone is effícient and fast.
    Is it only me ? What about other buddies ?
    Not even when I reboot. All I get is a line ...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Nope. No spinnin' for me either, Delf!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm glad that the 9700 is handling things better than some previous models, but as the number of apps grow and the size and resource demands of those apps continues to grow I wonder if it will be different for you 6 months from now as you add more to your devices.....I hope it still performs well months from now though, will give me more reason to see a BB in my nearer future. But my last BB was great when I first got it too for the first 8 months +

JB, A newer BB may be a good fit for you, but I have faith that you can learn something new too
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    I'm glad that the 9700 is handling things better than some previous models, but as the number of apps grow and the size and resource demands of those apps continues to grow I wonder if it will be different for you 6 months from now as you add more to your devices.....I hope it still performs well months from now though, will give me more reason to see a BB in my nearer future. But my last BB was great when I first got it too for the first 8 months +

JB, A newer BB may be a good fit for you, but I have faith that you can learn something new too
    Az, you name me an app that I haven't got... -I've got only 30MB of emptiness. And I don't need more apps thank-you ...
    I correct myself though - I had a spell of "hour glass" syndrome after I installed a theme. Got rid of it very quickly.

My hour glass issues are probably a combination of me running the 8330 with 5.0 and having too many apps on the thing to maintain a decent amount of free memory. What ISN'T my fault is how the free memory drains from near 20mb down to nothing in 3-4 hours, all the time! Imagine how many times I clear cache and reboot a day. Still to lazy to down grade - 'waiting for another answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast