upi.com : Canadian retailer Indigo Books & Music Inc. has introduced a digital media application ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Amazon rival Indigo starts e-book service

Advertisement

upi.com: Canadian retailer Indigo Books & Music Inc. has introduced a digital media application that lets users buy and download e-books to smart phones and computers.

Its Shortcovers service gives people with iPhone, Blackberry or Google Android devices wireless access to books, magazines and blogs, "as well as new content formats and user-inspired writings such as subway novels," said the Toronto company, which operates bookstores in all Canadian provinces as well as chapters.indigo.ca.

People with Symbian, Windows Mobile and Brew devices, the Palm Pre and other devices will be able to use Shortcovers soon, Indigo said.

Shortcovers, positioned as "a global service," is initially offering 50,000 books at $4.99 to $19.99 apiece, with "thousands" more to be added weekly, Indigo said.

The service, whose name is meant to imply "the ideal read for consumers on the go," also offers individual book chapters for 99 cents each, with an estimated 200,000 sample chapters available free for potential users.

[read more]

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    It's great that books are becoming available for portable devices whether it be phones, netbooks or dedicated e-reading devices. This sounds like a great service. Thank you for the information!

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    e-books are such a great thing and i am super glad that they are not on smartphones
    Never give up...you can always make a difference

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by lsu4lif3 View Post
    e-books are such a great thing and i am super glad that they are not on smartphones
    that's a confusing statement?

i personally have a sony e-reader that i use. is that what you meant by ebook?

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post

i personally have a sony e-reader that i use.
    I would have gone with that one, but I sooo wanted wireless downloads.....only problem, the temptation is really bad because I can download anywhere. Oh, Kindle-aid.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by goldengirl75 View Post
    I would have gone with that one, but I sooo wanted wireless downloads.....only problem, the temptation is really bad because I can download anywhere. Oh, Kindle-aid.
    Ya I've spent a fortune replacing books I read multiple times with ebooks. Its yet another addiction
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

When it comes to books, I have no qualms about the cost because there are other useless things that money could be wasted on. Since reading was taught in school, I'm only furthering my education.