Alltel's acquisition by Verizon Wireless continues to move forward, but that hasn't stopped the regional ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Alltel Debuts Trimble GPS Application

Advertisement

Alltel's acquisition by Verizon Wireless continues to move forward, but that hasn't stopped the regional carrier from rolling out new services and phones. And on Thursday, just in time for holiday play, Alltel launched a new GPS app with Trimble Outdoors.

Trimble Outdoors brings basic GPS services to select Alltel phones, though it appears to be meant more for hikers and mountain bikers rather than drivers. First, you must plan your trip online, but you then can send the routing information including maps and waypoints wirelessly to your phone.

The maps, which come in topographic, street, and aerial view, will show a "bread crumb trail" for reference. You'll be able to mark and edit waypoints during your journey, and use an integrated digital compass to display coordinates, speed, and heading. You'll also be able to geotag photos, audio, and video along your route and browse trips created by other users. It all sounds cool, provided you get good reception in the woods.

Trimble Outdoors will cost you, of course. You'll pay a daily fee of $1.99 for each day you use it, but Alltel also offers rates of $5.99 per month and $39.99 per year. Supported phones include the Motorola Razr V3A, V3C, V3M, and V9M; Krzr K1M; the Samsung Muse; the LG AX8600 and AX656; and the RIM BlackBerry Curve 8330 and BlackBerry Pearl.

[read more]

[source]

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Interesting. I'll definitely check this out for my annual New Year's Day hike in the Superstitions. Depending on where I hike, the signal isn't always great, but it may make it fun to do some off the path exploring. Thanks Cherri
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Thanks for the info cherri will have to check it out.

brayndeded no está en línea Stack level 2
    yeah great, they can do this cool stuff...but still refuse to put out the 4.5 OS for the 8830!!! eeerrrggg...im so mad at them. the head of a tec dept in kansas flat out told me the y dont plan to do anything for the 8830 cuz its being phased out...so that will force me to buy yet another new bb...even though i just got this 1 12 months ago...on a 2 year contract...so if i upgrade...of course i will have to pay them full price....what a P.O.S. they are

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ ya, that's a bummer. i went to jerryd's OS update on his blog and it seems that 8830 gets no love. even the 8700 models have a 4.5 OS!

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by brayndeded View Post
    yeah great, they can do this cool stuff...but still refuse to put out the 4.5 OS for the 8830!!! eeerrrggg...im so mad at them. the head of a tec dept in kansas flat out told me the y dont plan to do anything for the 8830 cuz its being phased out...so that will force me to buy yet another new bb...even though i just got this 1 12 months ago...on a 2 year contract...so if i upgrade...of course i will have to pay them full price....what a P.O.S. they are
    Reps don't have a clue I was told the same thing about the 8330 and two weeks later the official was out. If they are phasing it out then why is it still the highest costing BB they offer and the pearl and curve are at bagain basement prices. Just may two cents.

brayndeded no está en línea Stack level 2
    my point exactly cowboy, they dont have a clue. i went through all that with them and got nowhere. so i went to the head office in kansas and was told by the head guy who deals with the blackberry stuff for kansas that 'he would check on this and get back with me'...so i gave him 2 phone #s and 3 email addr......that was 2 months ago. now i cant get him on the phone. there should be a law against this type of corporate bait and switch crap. ive been told this garbage for months now...oh yeah....after my trial period was up.

fjl307 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I live in Wyoming, Wyoming (and many places one would use software like Trimble Outdoors) has very spotty cell service., if any. The cellular providers and software vendors have failed to realize this. Why can't they offer us maps to save onto our memory cards?