With the opening of the 2010 Winter Games tonight, there are apps popping up like ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

2010 Winter Olympics Apps

Advertisement

With the opening of the 2010 Winter Games tonight, there are apps popping up like crazy to help you keep up on all the Olympic News. We will list a few to get you started and if you find any others that are worth a look for any platform please post details.

I saw a tweet from Handmark yesterday about their free app Winter Sports Live. It is available for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, and Windows Mobile. I downloaded the iPhone version to my iPod Touch and it has some nice features and others that are very sparse but maybe will get better as the games get rolling. The Android version just became available so I am downloading it now and will comment more on it later.

• Live from Vancouver: Top headlines updated in real time
    • Competition news: Stories from individual events
    • Word on the street: News, scores, and analysis
    • Picture of the day: The day's top moments in pictures
    • Photo Gallery: Best photos from the games
    • Olympic Champions: Features on Olympic champs past and present
    • Quotes of the day: Top comments from participants and spectators

If you want to try this one out you can see more screen shots and download links here: Winter Sports Live by Handmark

I looked for apps for the Palm Pre/Pixi but didn't come up with any, let me know if there's something I missed.

Here are a few others to check out:

BlackBerry: NBC Olympic Mobile
    This is a free app in App World, from a user comment it looks like it's basically a web shortcut to their mobile site, but if you want quick 1 click access to the Olympic news then having this could be useful for getting the latest news, video, and live results on your BlackBerry.

iPhone: NBC Olympics on AT&T
    Another free app, has a god search feature to quickly find the content you want, ability to mark favorites, video(only available to US users), push notification and more, definitely worth a look on your iPhone/iPod Touch

Android: Vancouver Olympics 2010 News
    This is free in the market, looks pretty basic, a feed reader with brief portions of articles displayed and tapping the story opens in in your browser. If you don't want a big app, then this may be useful.

Windows Mobile: Wow Samsung Vancouver 2010 App
    Track news, weather, medal count and more on this free app from Samsung.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

weav01 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Cowbells 2010 is pretty cool for a $1. It has a bell to ring and posts from the athletes. The bell is the best. Driving my family nuts.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

LOL! Hope they don't have one for Android....if my son found it I'm sure he would enjoy torturing us as well
    Twitter? My Apps List

amcat no está en línea Stack level 3
    Tried using the NBC app 3 times in 12 hours and kept getting the unable to handle your request due to high volume page. Don't think they anticipated such a large amount of mobile requests.

topshottas no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    26D6136F
    I hope someone can help me on this question...??...Does anyone know how or if it is possible to get the Olympic smbol on bbm as a *--* code. pin:301b19b10

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I have the NBC app and it's been working great for me on the iPhone. I get alerts about the results which I like and you can play videos of events incase you missed it or just want to watch it again. It also provides the medal standings and event times for your network.

Quote Originally Posted by amcat View Post
    Tried using the NBC app 3 times in 12 hours and kept getting the unable to handle your request due to high volume page. Don't think they anticipated such a large amount of mobile requests.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

Sorry, not sure what your asking.

Quote Originally Posted by topshottas View Post
    I hope someone can help me on this question...??...Does anyone know how or if it is possible to get the Olympic smbol on bbm as a *--* code. pin:301b19b10

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I have the App on my iPhone and it's been working great also. It's neat they came together so fast and pushed these Apps out.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    Sorry, not sure what your asking.

He's asking if it's possible to get the olympic rings symbol in BBM like we used to put all the other little symbols and icons like in this thread.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Awww, I see. That would be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    He's asking if it's possible to get the olympic rings symbol in BBM like we used to put all the other little symbols and icons like in this thread.