The smartphone of today needs to be able to straddle the line between practicality and ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

14 Useful Applications for Smartphones

Advertisement

The smartphone of today needs to be able to straddle the line between practicality and multimedia functionality in order to appeal to both business and personal users. Over the next three years the already expansive smartphone market is expected to grow further and hundreds of millions of smartphones will be flying off the shelves and into eager palms around the world. One of the things that makes smartphones so appealing is their ability to download and install a huge variety of applications designed to make them much more versatile than a simple communication device. Here is a list of 10 useful smartphone applications currently on the market.

Wapedia (Android | iPhone)
    For users of Google Android based smartphones, this app provides the quickest and simplest access to all of the contents of Wikipedia. It is designed to streamline the content so that even on non-3G handsets the pages load quickly. It also gives you access to other Wikipedia functions like news and featured articles.

reQuall (BlackBerry | iPhone)
    This is another great app, ideal for those who frequently have flashes of inspiration when they are away from a pen and paper. You can quickly tap the reQuall app symbol and then type or speak to record your thoughts instantly.

AccuWeather (All smartphones)
    For N97/5800 owners the AccuWeather widget is an excellent addition to your homescreen. It will keep you up to date with live weather information for your area.

PocketGuitar (iPhone)
    Whilst there are hundreds of music applications for Apple`s hugely popular iPhone, this one tops the list in terms of popularity and pure fun. Essentially the app turns the touch screen into a guitar, complete with frets and strings which you can strum and hold down like the real thing.

Shazam (Android | Blackberry | iPhone)
    If you have ever wondered who wrote and performed a song you hear on your travels, Shazam can listen in and let you know. It will also take you to the iTunes store and let you buy the track if you like.

Facebook (Android | Blackberry| iPhone | Palm | Nokia | Windows Mobile)
    Though Facebook apps are available on all major smartphone operating platforms, one Android-powered smartphone you will be able to update your status from your phone`s homescreen.

Smart Yoga Pro (Nokia)
    An audio-visual Yoga learning experience with tons of postures and exercises to try out in a step by step mobile guide.

Cardio Trainer (Android Beta)
    Another fitness app that is smarter than most, thanks to its use of your phones GPS functions to help you plan a route to run and keep a note of how many calories you burn on the way.

Viitrio Mortgage Calculator (Nokia)
    For owners of Nokia smartphones this is a useful, practical app to help you keep a track of your finances. You will be able to work out how much your mortgage will cost you each month and you can even adjust the interest rates to reflect their current real-world levels.

Amazon Mobile (Android | BlackBerry | iPhone)
    Buy millions of products wherever you go. Access your existing Amazon account, cart, wish lists, payment and shipping settings, order history, 1-Click, and Prime benefits. Snap a photo from your BlackBerry and Amazon will search for a similar product available.

Bolt Web Browser (Blackberry | Windows Mobile)
    Considering the limitations of the current BlackBerry browser. Its refreshing to have 3rd party options such as Bolt to browse the web. Also consider Opera Mini.

Windows Live Messenger & Hotmail (BlackBerry, iPhone, Nokia, Windows Mobile)
    Get free access to your favorite Windows Live services right from your smartphone. Of note Windows has excluded iPhone from Windows Live Messenger support.

Open Home (Android)
    If you are dissatisfied with the look of Android on touch screen mobile phones then this overhaul of the homescreen and interface might be the ideal remedy. You can customize every aspect, including the font, color and theme.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    I would add amAze gps to this list (a must have) IMHO. Freebie
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Good addition. Thanks!

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    that guitar app is awesome, wish it was for BB, maybe it will be when i get my storm 2
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    that guitar app is awesome, wish it was for BB, maybe it will be when i get my storm 2
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but you have a 8900, right? I have one with AT&Apple; are you with Tmo or AT&Apple? How do you know AT&Apple's gonna get the Storm 2 or are you jumping ship to Verizon? o.O end of hijack

The SPCS Guy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30F558F8
    I just downloaded and tried that BOLT BROWSER. It sucks! Don't even waste your energy. Most of the other ones are good. Of course!

JE
    Last edited by The SPCS Guy; 10-29-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    - ** JE-TwiztedOne **

PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by The SPCS Guy View Post
    I just downloaded and tried that BOLT BROWSER. It sucks! Don't even waste your energy.

JE
    That browser is horrible dude. Don't evern use that hideous thing. Try opera mini, that is if you're looking for something other than the default browser. I never used the default browser on my bb eversince I got it. It's so outdated makes windows 95's netscape look like the latest browser out there. I've been using opera mini for a very long time now and no issues or complaints. But then again, to each its own. Good luck

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hi Hayden
    Can I add a few very useful plug-ins? They are fantastic helpers, so try them at least (and they´re for free !)
    1 Atomichelix Notify
    2) Atomichelix Taskify
    Both of these can be found at www.atomichelix.com

3) Forward & Edit and Reply & Edit - found at http://bberryapp.com/blackberryappli.../forwardreply/

I use them regularly.
    Regards.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Yeah, the Amazon app is great...and, not so good as it's easy temptation when at work.