Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Offering Includes Two Hours of Free Wi-Fi Service Per Day for Starbucks Card Holders ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

12 Million AT&T, Starbucks Customers to Get Free Wi-Fi Access

Advertisement

New Offering Includes Two Hours of Free Wi-Fi Service Per Day for Starbucks Card Holders Beginning this Spring

Seattle, Washington, San Antonio, Texas, February 11, 2008 - All 100,000 U.S.-Based Starbucks Partners to Receive Free Wi-Fi at Starbucks Stores. AT&T Inc. and Starbucks today announced plans to deliver AT&T Wi-Fi service at more than 7,000 company-operated Starbucks locations across the United States. The initiative brings together two of the most recognizable global brands to create a powerful and convenient online experience for consumers and business customers. Starbucks and AT&T will offer a mix of free and paid Wi-Fi offerings at Starbucks stores to meet the needs of both frequent and occasional Starbucks Wi-Fi customers.

The initiative further expands the AT&T Wi-Fi network, already the largest in the United States, to more than 17,000 U.S. hot spots and more than 70,000 globally.

Beginning this spring, Starbucks Card holders can enjoy up to two hours of free Wi-Fi service per day at Starbucks locations offering Wi-Fi access, while more than 12 million qualifying AT&T broadband and AT&T U-verseSM Internet customers will have unlimited free access to the Wi-Fi service. In addition, more than 5 million of AT&T's remote access services business customers will be able to access Wi-Fi service at Starbucks locations. AT&T will soon extend the benefits of Wi-Fi at Starbucks to its wireless customers.

"People want to stay connected to their world 24/7, and Wi-Fi hot spots, broadband and wireless make that mobility possible," said Rick Welday, AT&T chief marketing officer, Consumer. "Laptops and smartphones give us the online mobility we crave, and now millions of AT&T and Starbucks customers will get Internet access free from the comfort of their neighborhood Starbucks."

"This is what our customers have been waiting for — free Starbucks-quality Wi-Fi," said Chris Bruzzo, chief technology officer, Starbucks Coffee Company. "Through our new partnership with AT&T, we also welcome their millions of current customers who can now come in and enjoy free Wi-Fi as part of their daily Starbucks Experience."

As an added benefit for the more than 100,000 Starbucks partners in the U.S., all Starbucks partners will receive free AT&T Wi-Fi accounts allowing them to use the network in Starbucks company-operated locations offering Wi-Fi access.

"Our new relationship with AT&T gives us the opportunity to expand and enhance the range of digital entertainment experiences for our customers as well as our partners, including the continued rollout of the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store at Starbucks," said Ken Lombard, president, Starbucks Entertainment.

In addition to the free Wi-Fi access for qualifying AT&T customers and any Starbucks Card holder, customers will be able to purchase tiered access to the AT&T Wi-Fi network at Starbucks at attractive price points. For a two-hour period, customers will pay just $3.99 per session. Monthly membership will also be available for $19.99 per month, and will include access to any of AT&T's 70,000 hot spots in 89 countries around the world.

AT&T business customers who subscribe to remote access services can also enjoy unlimited, flat-rate access plans at any Starbucks location offering Wi-Fi service or at other AT&T Wi-Fi hot spots.
    Additionally, AT&T is providing Starbucks an enterprise-class network with increased bandwidth and redundancy. AT&T's underlying network technologies will enable a wide range of business applications and help Starbucks stores operate more efficiently.

"Delivering networking capabilities to help a world-class company such as Starbucks achieve greater business velocity is what we do," said Welday. "Our work with Starbucks is collaborative innovation at its finest."
    The availability of AT&T Wi-Fi service at Starbucks will take place on a market-by-market basis with store implementation beginning this spring and completed by the end of the year.

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Re: 12 Million AT&T, Starbucks Customers to Get Free Wi-Fi Access

nice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

DriftorX no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me!!

So... how does that work for regular AT&T customers like me that just go there all the time. Is there anything free for us? I see a part about qualifing at&t customer, but who are the qualifing ones?

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

I think you have to be a starbucks card holder....not sure though

driggers no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2456561E

Quote Originally Posted by DriftorX View Post
    So... how does that work for regular AT&T customers like me that just go there all the time. Is there anything free for us? I see a part about qualifing at&t customer, but who are the qualifing ones?
    They are probably refering to people with AT&T DSL in their home. They have certain plans that allow use of ATT's current wi-fi hotspots. I guess they'll be expanding that coverage area to include these Starbucks locations.

ct5694 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    n/a

in order to be eligible for FREE wifi access through AT&T at starbuck's, you must be signed up on their AT&T dsl service at home on the PRO package or higher which is a minimum monthly service of 24.99. you would just log in at Starbuck's with your sbcglobal email address provided to you by AT&T.

DriftorX no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask me!!

gotcha that explains it better. I figure thats what would need to be done as you would need service with at&t @home or business or a starbucks card holder. Either way. I dont spend that much time at a starbucks to really even use the service there. if you got bis or bes then why would you need to. But oh well. My question got answered. thanks guys!

sugarspicebaby1 no está en línea Stack level 3

it does mention being available to wireless customers soon - when and what will we be offered? It would be great since there are several right around my campus

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I already have, and have had for five years..... free Wi-Fi at Starbucks...

As most of you may know, the service is currently provided as a fee based service and the provider is T-Mobile. Since I own a business I simply charge it off as an expense, however for those of you in a different position, the new AT&T program promises to be very nice. I have scoured the news about it this morning, read several different reports, and it sounds like there will be several plans tailored to a variety of individual needs. The key will be to wait and see just how this plays out, as one article I read said it will take the rest of the year to roll out all the different plans. After it's all said and done this is one of the best Free or nearly Free Wi-Fi roll outs I've seen. The future is bright when it comes to wireless connectivity.

Cheers!

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Interesting...

Does this mean Starbucks is axing it's agreement for them to be a TMobile Hotspot?

Or are they going to both have contracts with Starbucks?

To me, paying that much for a cup of coffee, you should automatically get free wifi access anyways (Cough::Atlanta Bread Company:

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB View Post
    Interesting...

Does this mean Starbucks is axing it's agreement for them to be a TMobile Hotspot?

Or are they going to both have contracts with Starbucks?

To me, paying that much for a cup of coffee, you should automatically get free wifi access anyways (Cough::Atlanta Bread Company:
    I am curious about the same thing myself.......

Zo

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the contract with t-mobile is a wrap as soon as the at&t contract goes into effect in the articles I have read

What I want to know is what defines a Starbucks Card? There are two that I'm aware of:

1) The Prepaid Card that one uses for purchases.
    2) The Starbucks Credit Card.

This should prove interesting. Handled correctly it will benefit both companies.

However if they alienate some of their current loyal customers, Starbucks will suffer substantially. Especially since they are already struggling and planning to close down some stores.

This combined with flagging stock prices have many within the company very nervous.

jstodda no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241E85A8

So you know, YES... Its official. Starbucks will NO LONGER be a T-Mobile Hotspot. Meaning no more free hotspot at home calls from there and no internet service. This was a change that was in the works quite a while ago, I never bothered to think about it on here since it really isnt THAT big a deal to blackberry users. NOW.... Perhaps ATT gets with the program and starts a UMA type service of their own, That wont happen for awhile. Big changes coming to T Mobile as well. the Hotspot at Home service is changing. Look for things to come!
    T-Mobile Sales Manager
    Blackberry Addict
    Open to answering questions
    PIN: 241E85A8

Quote Originally Posted by jstodda View Post
    So you know, YES... Its official. Starbucks will NO LONGER be a T-Mobile Hotspot.
    it really isnt THAT big a deal to blackberry users
    However it IS a big deal to those of us who do business with clients at Starbucks using our laptops. I know many corp customers like myself that not only meet clients but also have meetings with their various field staff members while traveling from region to region.

It will be very interesting to see how this transition will be handled.

Do you have any info on the timeline for the switch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast