Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

This is to all the people that might think about getting an iPhone or just ... Smartphone News forum

  1. #1
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706

    10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    Advertisement



    This is to all the people that might think about getting an iPhone or just want to be informed decision makers. I came across this artical, although this article has a joke at the end, all of the information contained in here is fairly accurate and/or raises quite a few questions that we should be asking anyways. If you are dead-set about getting an iPhone despite any inherent flaws you probably don’t want to hear this. I am fairly new to pinstack.com and I did attempt to search for the correct place to post this, if I made a mistake I apologize.





    This has been the week from hell as far as iPhone hype goes. Over and over and over, we've all been subjected to more and more iPhone blather. Enough already! It's time to cut this stupid phone down to size, once and for all! And mark my words, that's all it is...a stupid phone! It is not a cure for cancer, it will not bring peace to the world, it will not feed the hungry or provide homes to the homeless. It's a freaking phone and it's high time somebody drew a line in the sand and said: Thus far and no farther with the iBlather!



    So here are ten reasons why you should NOT buy an iPhone. No doubt the Apple Cultists will flame me for saying it like it is but it's about time somebody did. So here is why you should avoid this vile piece of over-hyped crap:

    10. Too Expensive
    Is Apple kidding us? $599 for a freaking phone? Wow...just wow. No phone is worth that much money even if it has a few "gee whiz" and "it's neat" type features. Apple has gone way, way off the deep end this time with the price of this behemoth phone. Why would anybody be foolish enough to pay that much for a cell phone? Are people that addicted to blabbing on the phone that they must pay $600 to do so? Sheesh, get a life people. Do you really want to waste your money lining the pockets of Steve Jobs and his minions at Apple? Take the $599 and do something productive with it instead of wasting it on yet another over-hyped, over-priced Apple product.

    9. Tiny Storage
    Well just as with the iPod, we can always count on Apple screwing us over with tiny amounts of storage space. The $499 iPhone has 4GB and the $599 has 8GB. What on earth does Apple expect people to do with that tiny bit of storage space? Think about it. The vaunted iPhone is supposed to be able to play movies as well as play songs. Well how many movies are you going to be able to store with just 4GB of storage space? And how many songs can you carry? To say nothing of your other data that you might need to tote around with you.

    Apple appears to have rushed headlong into the release of the iPhone with no thought whatsoever about how starved for storage space iPhone users will soon be. And what does Jobs think is going to happen? That people will carry around a terabyte external hard disk with them to desperately try to carry their needed data? Come off it, Steve. The minimum data storage for the $499 iPhone should have been 500GB at the very least with the top of the line model having at least 800GB or preferably 1 terabyte.

    8. Stylish and Stupid
    There's no doubt about it that the iPhone look "stylish" when you first see it. But isn't that really the problem with all of Apple's products? They look pretty but provide very low value for the price? Do you really want to be a loser that overpays for the iPhone just to look cool for a little while? Don't forget that no matter how "stylish" you look, sooner or later other people will have an iPhone and then you'll just look stupid.

    Is that what you're really after? To look stupid trying to be cooler than everybody else? Hey, you can do that without spending $600. In fact, you may have already achieved that goal just by reading this column but I'll leave that to each reader to decide for themselves.

    7. Stuck With AT&T
    One of the worst things that Apple ever did was to sign a five year exclusive agreement with AT&T to be the wireless provider for the iPhone. Five years! So if you use Verizon, Tmobile, or some other provider, you can't get an iPhone unless you switch to AT&T.

    To date AT&T doesn't seem to have all that great of a reputation as a mobile service provider. I can't speak from experience because I've never used them but isn't it odd how a fossil from telephone service days gone by (AT&T) ended up in bed with Apple, a company that likes to pride itself on being "cutting edge." It's the telecom marriage made in hell!

    What exactly was Apple thinking here? Did it deliberately decide to screw over customers on other services? We'll never know what on earth was going through Steve Jobs' head when he made this wacky decision (was his turtleneck too tight and it cut off the blood supply to his head?) but anybody on a different wireless carrier will have to live with it unless they want to switch to AT&T.

    6. Edge and Not 3G
    Apple's decision to go with AT&T is also costly for another reason. The iPhone apparently will be using AT&T's super-slow and crappy Edge data service instead of 3G. Wow. Another major screw-up by Apple. Are you willing to pay for a slow data connection on your "cool" iPhone? Stop and think about that for a minute. You're going to be paying for a data service that might take a few minutes to load this web page, depending on how it performs that day you use it.

    Given that the iPhone is supposed to be "cutting edge", I can't imagine what Apple was thinking to release it on a service that doesn't offer 3G data transfer speeds. It's like Apple released a corvette that can only go up to 35mph. What the heck is the point?

    5. No Flash or Java Support
    Flash and Java are both pretty basic parts of the web experience. And yet Steve Jobs and his lackeys have arbitrarily decided to exclude them from the iPhone web experience. So much for "the internet in your pocket" blather that Jobs was spewing earlier on. It's more like the "crippled, crappy, lame version of the Internet in your pocket" instead.

    No doubt though that Apple's marketing department will probably put their usual spin on this and start touting the iPhone as being "Flash-free" or "Java-free" as though both things were positives instead of negatives. And you know what? The Apple Faithful will eat it up! They'll storm out onto the Web and begin filling discussion forums and newsgroups with inane comments about how the iPhone "protects" users from evil things like Flash and Java.

    I guess when you're the head of a cult, you can make people believe anything.

    4. Two Year Contract and $175 Termination Fee
    When you buy an iPhone you better get ready to pay out even more! You'll have to agree to a 2 year contract, whether you like it or not. And what happens if you decide to switch to another wireless provider? Get ready because you'll have to cough up another $175 to regain your freedom from the tyranny of AT&T and Apple. Talk about a ripoff!

    3. No Keyboard
    I'm sorry but I'm not buying the "multitouch is great" line of thinking. I don't want to be dependent on a stupid touch screen, I want a keyboard! Who knows how accurate the iPhone's touch screen keyboard will be? Early rumors suggest that it might be a disaster in the making. Do you really want to pay $599 or even $499 to find out that it's a total pain in the rear end just to text somebody and that you have no option whatsoever for a built-in keyboard? What was Apple thinking here? No hardware keyboard and a dubious, iffy software based keyboard that could be completely unusable for most people? No thanks! Put a hardware-based keyboard in the next version, Apple, and maybe it will be worth considering.

    2. Crapfari Instead of Firefox
    One of the most disappointing and shocking things about the iPhone is that it ships with the second (or is it third or fourth rate?) browser known as Safari. I prefer to call it Crapfari as there are just far too many sites that don't work properly with it for me to consider it a real browser. Instead of shipping with a real browser like Firefox, Apple chooses its bastard step-child of a browser. And then it has the temerity, the impudence to release the same bug-ridden piece of junk on Windows right before the launch! Could Apple be more arrogant? How many people are aware of just how bad the Crapfari browser really is and that they will have no alternative on the iPhone? I bet there will be a lot of shocked and angry iPhone users once they start trying to use the web and find that the Crapfari browser won't display their favorite sites properly. Well what did they expect from a fourth rate browser anyway?

    And here's the number one reason why you shouldn't even consider buying an iPhone:

    1. I'll Get to the Apple Store Ahead of You
    If you've read this far then you've finally discovered the *real* reason I wrote this column.

    You see, I'm out to dissuade as many people as possible from buying an iPhone so that I have less competition on Friday when I go to get mine. Yep, this entire column is nothing more than a self-serving ruse at giving myself the best chance possible to snag an iPhone on opening day.

    The fewer people that are interested in the iPhone, the better my chances at getting one! So in this column I've just regurgitated all the usual FUD about the iPhone, Apple, and AT&T in a blatant attempt to discourage you from being remotely interested in buying one.

    And I want one...make no mistake about it...I want an iPhone...bad! It's all I've been able to think about for the last few days...I've been dreaming of ditching my crappy Verizon phone and holding the sleek, sexy iPhone in the palm of my hand.

    Yes...I must have one...and I will have one! No matter who or what gets in my way! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss....the precioooooooous will be ouuuuuuursssssssssss!

    So don't even bother to leave your house on launch day to get an iPhone. If you do, you'll find that I got there ahead of you and bought the last one. Muhuhahahahha! Suckers!

    Did my ruse work? Have you been dissuaded from buying an iPhone?


    - ExtremeTech-Editor






    Oh and if that wasn’t enough info here’s another bit of info that wasn’t disclosed in the aforementioned.

    If you’re thinking “ well I’m getting one anyways and I’ll just buy one of the prepay versions and unlock it and use it with another GSM network” well you are wrong. The only way to get the iPhone via prepay aka pay as you go, is if you fail a credit check for a monthly service contract, which you know they are going to make sure you can get it and give you every limitation they possibly can.




    I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, for this is meant to inform the masses and nothing more.

  2. #2
    the hippie's Avatar
    the hippie no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    PIN/ID
    24268265
    Posts
    302

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    I was thikning about getting one until i figured out how to get some songs on my bb however, i love my bb and no way do i want one i will figure out the rest of my music prob on my own on with this awesome websites help!!!!

  3. #3
    jscottbarnes's Avatar
    jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    No-More
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    The phone does have some actual value and cool features... it has surely opened the development eyes of ALL other device makers, even RIM... and, in the end, we should all benefit from the ingenuity and mistakes made with the iPhone...

    Bashing it unconditionally simply isn't very necessary or adult like behavior for that matter... If it isn't for you... well, you get it


    ------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD



  4. #4
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes
    The phone does have some actual value and cool features... it has surely opened the development eyes of ALL other device makers, even RIM... and, in the end, we should all benefit from the ingenuity and mistakes made with the iPhone...

    Bashing it unconditionally simply isn't very necessary or adult like behavior for that matter... If it isn't for you... well, you get it
    like I said my purpose in this was not to "Bash it" but to inform people on all the flaws this phone has, it's meant as a warning, and also like I said earlier, this is not my article but One I found that makes several good point even though the man is a fan of the iPhone. The title of this thread, the warning I put in the begining of the post and the apology at the end of the post should've made it very clear that I am not Bashing mearly informing, I apologize again, if I offended you.

    That being said there is another drawback to the iPhone that was in the forums the battery is non-removable. and if it needs to be replace costs $90.

  5. #5
    exciter's Avatar
    exciter no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    298

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    Another reason (#11) & the #1 reason why I will not get an iPhone..... the screen is GLASS!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    ebanga's Avatar
    ebanga no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    PIN/ID
    24352F80
    Posts
    284

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    i was thinking of maybe getting a 2nd or 3rd Gen iphone, cuz i figured most of the kinks would be worked out and they would have been availible on most providers by than ,but i wasn't aware of the 5 year exclusive deal with AT&T(Cingulair) which blows, that is just totalitarian of Apple to decide what service provider we should use if we want to use an iPhone Well it looks like i will be sticking with my tried and tested BB and my Current provider after all which is no biggie after all im on my 3rd BB and i think they rock!

  7. #7
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by ebanga
    i was thinking of maybe getting a 2nd or 3rd Gen iphone, cuz i figured most of the kinks would be worked out and they would have been availible on most providers by than ,but i wasn't aware of the 5 year exclusive deal with AT&T(Cingulair) which blows, that is just totalitarian of Apple to decide what service provider we should use if we want to use an iPhone Well it looks like i will be sticking with my tried and tested BB and my Current provider after all which is no biggie after all im on my 3rd BB and i think they rock!
    Well in theory unless you wanted a NEW iPhone you probably will be able to pick one up on ebay or something, any "big thing" that comes out people find a way of getting and selling it on ebay, like the wii and ps3. Of course the only thing that you would have to worry about then is getting it unlocked.

  8. #8
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    I found something odd, the commercial for the iPhone is advertising youtube, now if it's true that they are using their safari browser then flash would be out of the question, ergo no youtube unless they are using some sort of portal, anyone that has access to an iPhone, will you confirm or deny if the iPhone is using flash or some other means of watching youtube?

  9. #9
    exciter's Avatar
    exciter no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    298

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin
    I found something odd, the commercial for the iPhone is advertising youtube, now if it's true that they are using their safari browser then flash would be out of the question, ergo no youtube unless they are using some sort of portal, anyone that has access to an iPhone, will you confirm or deny if the iPhone is using flash or some other means of watching youtube?
    http://mailbox.allthingsd.com/200707...apples-iphone/

    If the iPhone’s Web browser is so good, why can’t it play video on Web sites I visit?

    At launch, the iPhone version of the Safari browser is missing some plug-ins needed for playing common types of Web videos. The most important of these is the plug-in for Adobe’s Flash technology. Apple says it plans to add that plug-in through an early software update, which I am guessing will occur within the next couple of months. However, a separate program included on the iPhone can play a limited selection of videos from YouTube, and the phone can play videos you purchase from Apple’s iTunes store, and certain videos you create yourself.

  10. #10
    maximus_7791's Avatar
    maximus_7791 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    204D8D4A
    Posts
    4

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~its true "Haters are every where!"

  11. #11
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by maximus_7791
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~its true "Haters are every where!"
    Honsetly I'm getting tierd of people that don't bother reading the previous post and just make statements like that, If I just hated the iPhone why would I care if the iPhone could use flash? If I really hated it I wouldn't even bother asking I'd just believe what I wanted and ignored opinions otherwise. If you have some information on the iPhone I'd love to hear it but if it's just blatant accusations I'd rather not, thank you and I'm sorry you believe that.

  12. #12
    cliffr39's Avatar
    cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME
    Posts
    3,064

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    OK my friend I know you didn't write this but....

    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin

    10. Too Expensive
    Is Apple kidding us? $599 for a freaking phone?

    9. Tiny Storage
    Well just as with the iPod, we can always count on Apple screwing us over with tiny amounts of storage space. The $499 iPhone has 4GB and the $599 has 8GB.

    7. Stuck With AT&T (five year exclusive agreement)

    6. Edge and Not 3G

    5. No Flash or Java Support

    2. Crapfari Instead of Firefox
    10 - really tiring to hear this "complaint" all over. Apple's iPod in 2001 was $499 for their larger model a whopping 10gb.
    9 - again this is how the iPod began. Most other phones don't have 1gb of memory, let alone 4 or 8.
    7 - yeah that part sucks, no other carriers to offer it.
    6 - EDGE really isn't that bad. 250kbps, handles most traffic fairly well... at least it isn't true dialup like older data services used to be.
    5 - no not right off from the start but trust it will come. How many other cell phone browsers support flash, or even handle java fairly well (I know my Curve didn't for most Java pages I viewed, nor did my Treo ever).
    2- Safari isn't that bad, sure better then MS IE lol

    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin
    I found something odd, the commercial for the iPhone is advertising youtube, now if it's true that they are using their safari browser then flash would be out of the question, ergo no youtube unless they are using some sort of portal, anyone that has access to an iPhone, will you confirm or deny if the iPhone is using flash or some other means of watching youtube?
    They are using the YouTube shortcut "app" on the home page to view those. That is the short list of videos that they have already converted to H.264... which is apparently what ALL of the videos will be shortly.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

  13. #13
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39
    They are using the YouTube shortcut "app" on the home page to view those. That is the short list of videos that they have already converted to H.264... which is apparently what ALL of the videos will be shortly.
    Now that's interesting, as for the edge thing, I agree I enjoy edge that's what I use on my pearl but 3g would be better on any phone. So would full java and flash support for that matter, BB included. As for the the tiny storage, I think that is unacceptable, I'm sure they have the technology to maybe not make it a terabyte but 10-20 gb wouldn't be that far of a stretch, I mean look at laptop HDD's.

    My whole thing is that the idea of the iPhone had soo much potential and it doesn't seem they are trying very hard.

  14. #14
    cliffr39's Avatar
    cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME
    Posts
    3,064

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    Quote Originally Posted by RemyKirin
    Now that's interesting, as for the edge thing, I agree I enjoy edge that's what I use on my pearl but 3g would be better on any phone. So would full java and flash support for that matter, BB included. As for the the tiny storage, I think that is unacceptable, I'm sure they have the technology to maybe not make it a terabyte but 10-20 gb wouldn't be that far of a stretch, I mean look at laptop HDD's.

    My whole thing is that the idea of the iPhone had soo much potential and it doesn't seem they are trying very hard.
    yeah I think they could "try" harder. My understanding of it is that Apple kept it so hush-hush that Adobe couldn't really work on the flash support until it was released (I could be wrong). As for the EDGE/3G. Personally I'm glad it does not have 3G. It might not get as much battery life, especially since 3G is in very few places (I think something like 79 cities, where as EDGE is in over 39,000 or something). My flip phone has 3G and it gets poor life because it is always looking for the 3G signal to switch up to - just like when you go out of coverage the phone looks for the tower to get a signal back. Perhaps they ran into issues with it like RIM did with wifi for a while.

    Remember laptop harddrives are 2.5" physical drives. The iPods with their 80gb are also drives in them - the iPod nano's use flash memory like the iPhone does and both are very small (for now) so it might be more of a limitation of availability? no idea I just know it's not the same haha but yeah would be nicer
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

  15. #15
    RemyKirin's Avatar
    RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Posts
    706

    Re: 10 Reason Not get an iPhone

    Yeah more would definitley be nicer. Oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •