Ive searched the threads and cannot find a solution. I have made a few themes ... 87xx Themes forum

mrjake1970 no está en línea Stack level 1

How do you post an OTA link?

Advertisement

Ive searched the threads and cannot find a solution. I have made a few themes for the 8703e and have no problem loading them to my device via desktop manager.

I own a few websites, and have posted the .jad and .cod files to the website (all in the same place), and no matter how i try and link it, it never works. My blackberry internet browser gives error message 404 page not found, and does not start the download or cancel option. if i put a hyperlink to the file on the site, it STILL comes up "page not found" GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ive tried links, ive tried just navigating to the file itself. everything...

totally lost here. any advice so i can post my themes for OTA download?

MrCmonster no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: How do you post an OTA link?

I know if you are on a UNIX server, you have to edit the '.htaccess' file. I can't remember the specifics, but they're available on PinStack somewhere. Sorry I'm not much more help. Good luck!

--
    ~via my red 8310 Curve BB~
    When in doubt, pull the battery out.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

I haven't been able to get this to work either, but I think the problem I'm running into is related to my company's network layout.

I think the problem you're running into is that the Web server needs to have .COD (and possibly .JAD) Mime types defined. The documentation is here:
    http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...objaction=open

If you get it to work, please let us know how!
    JerryD

tried all the advice here, and still does not work. tried .htaccess just wont work. so frustrating!

ill have to stick to alx zip files i suppose

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjake1970 View Post
    tried all the advice here, and still does not work. tried .htaccess just wont work. so frustrating!

ill have to stick to alx zip files i suppose
    I'm close to needing to put my files on my server to test downloading. If I get it working, I'll post back here.

--
    ~via my red 8310 Curve BB~

PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by MrCmonster View Post
    I'm close to needing to put my files on my server to test downloading. If I get it working, I'll post back here.

OK, I got it working. What you need to do is edit the .htaccess file in the folder you are storing the JAR, JAD, and COD files in on your server, and include these 3 lines in it:

AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor jad
    AddType application/java-archive jar
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod cod

Then don't forget to put the JAR, JAD, and COD files on the server (I added the ALX file too, but I think you only really need the JAD and COD files).

My host is running Linux. If you are on a windows server I suspect that it works a bit differently, but I don't know for certain.

I then just made a really basic index.html file in the above directory that had a text link to the JAD file. Then when you click on the link it pops up with the standard install dialog.

I hope this helps mrjake1970, let me know if you have any other questions, or for that matter if this works for you.
    Last edited by MrCmonster; 02-23-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Typo :O
    --

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Nice work! Would love if someone could post what needs to be done for a Windows (IIS) setup!
    JerryD

awesome. i will try that tomorrow.

my host "says" its linux based, the "based" part is what scares me LOL

ill give it a shot. by the way, i remember when i posted other types of files before on another website i have, i had to add lines to allow downloads. could that be my problem as well? could it be that i need to add other lines to that code to allow people to download?

anyone know those commands that i could try as well? i have since removed those other lines from my other site, and don't remember what to add.

and here i thought i was slick as fresh dog s***

PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by mrjake1970 View Post
    awesome. i will try that tomorrow.

my host "says" its linux based, the "based" part is what scares me LOL

ill give it a shot. by the way, i remember when i posted other types of files before on another website i have, i had to add lines to allow downloads. could that be my problem as well? could it be that i need to add other lines to that code to allow people to download?

anyone know those commands that i could try as well? i have since removed those other lines from my other site, and don't remember what to add.

and here i thought i was slick as fresh dog s***
    mrjake1970, don't worry about the Linux "based", there are so many different varieties of Linux that it's easier to just say Linux based.

You should not need to add anything else to the .htaccess to get downloads to work. I do also have:
    Code:
    <Files .htaccess>
    order allow,deny
    deny from all
    </Files>
    in my .htaccess, but that just hides the files if someone tries to look at the directory listing. It isn't needed to get the downloads working.

Good Luck, and let us know if it works out for you!
    --

sillyc no está en línea Stack level 1

IIS Resolution

I had this same problem with IIS getting a page is not found. The problem was that I didn't have a MIME entry for Jad files. I found this in some RIM documentation.

Note: The web server must set the MIME type for JAD files to text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor. The web server must also set the MIME type for COD files to application/vnd.rim.cod.body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0 }td,div { font-family:Tahoma;font-size:8pt;vertical-align:top }body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0; overflow:hidden; }.transcript { background-color:#d2d2d2; }.messageBlock { margin-left:4px; margin-bottom:3px }.message { margin-left:100px; word-wrap:break-word; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-spacere; }.messageCont { margin-left:100px; word-wrap:break-word; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-spacere;}.other { overflow:hidden;color:#39577a;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.myself { overflow:hidden;color:#da8103;font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#39577a;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.myselfCont { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#da8103;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.system { margin-left:4px; word-wrap:break-word;color:#da8103;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-spacere; }.showTimestamp { padding-left:8px; margin-right:3px; float:right; color:#999999;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal; }.other1 { color:#ac2000;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont1 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#ac2000;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other2 { color:#3c9fa8;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont2 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#3c9fa8;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other3 { color:#e25614;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont3 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#e25614;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other4 { color:#0b6ac8;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont4 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#0b6ac8;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other5 { color:#b23290;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont5 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#b23290;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other6 { color:#02e7c7;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont6 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#02e7c7;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other7 { color:#5b3284;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont7 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#5b3284;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.highlight { background-color:#bed6f8; }.datestamp { cursor:default; margin-bottom:1px; background-color:#c0c0c0; width:100%; float:left; text-align:right; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; font-style:italic; }#chatAlert { float:left; border-bottom:1px solid #E8D091; padding:6px; width:100%; color:#A5754C; }#chatAlertImage { float:left; }#chatAlertText { float:left; margin-left:6px; }#chatAlertClose { float:right; margin-right:10px; padding-right:6px; margin-top:0px; }#chatAlertText a { color:#A5754C; }#chatAlertText a:hover { color:#A5754C; text-decoration:none; }.tsDisplay { display:block }.dsDisplay { display:block }body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0 }td,div { font-family:Tahoma;font-size:8pt;vertical-align:top }body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0; overflow:hidden; }.transcript { background-color:#d2d2d2; }.messageBlock { margin-left:4px; margin-bottom:3px }.message { margin-left:100px; word-wrap:break-word; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-spacere; }.messageCont { margin-left:100px; word-wrap:break-word; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-spacere;}.other { overflow:hidden;color:#39577a;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.myself { overflow:hidden;color:#da8103;font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#39577a;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.myselfCont { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#da8103;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.system { margin-left:4px; word-wrap:break-word;color:#da8103;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-spacere; }.showTimestamp { padding-left:8px; margin-right:3px; float:right; color:#999999;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal; }.other1 { color:#ac2000;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont1 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#ac2000;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other2 { color:#3c9fa8;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont2 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#3c9fa8;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other3 { color:#e25614;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont3 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#e25614;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other4 { color:#0b6ac8;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont4 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#0b6ac8;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other5 { color:#b23290;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont5 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#b23290;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other6 { color:#02e7c7;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont6 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#02e7c7;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.other7 { color:#5b3284;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; }.otherCont7 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#5b3284;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; }.highlight { background-color:#bed6f8; }.datestamp { cursor:default; margin-bottom:1px; background-color:#c0c0c0; width:100%; float:left; text-align:right; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; font-style:italic; }#chatAlert { float:left; border-bottom:1px solid #E8D091; padding:6px; width:100%; color:#A5754C; }#chatAlertImage { float:left; }#chatAlertText { float:left; margin-left:6px; }#chatAlertClose { float:right; margin-right:10px; padding-right:6px; margin-top:0px; }#chatAlertText a { color:#A5754C; }#chatAlertText a:hover { color:#A5754C; text-decoration:none; }.tsDisplay { display:block }.dsDisplay { display:block }

sillyc no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had this same problem with IIS getting a page is not found. The problem was that I didn't have a MIME entry for Jad files. I found this in some RIM documentation.

Note: The web server must set the MIME type for JAD files to text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor. The web server must also set the MIME type for COD files to application/vnd.rim.cod.body

graciliano no está en línea Stack level 2
    !!! --> http://forums.pinstack.com/f227/an_idiots_guide_how_host_ota_themes-95031/
    Notes: These are some problems I had to deal with (1) .htaccess had to be renamed .htaccess.txt (2) I do my ftp transfer from the command line. If you do so, remember to set the file type to ascii (I) for .htaccess.txt and the .jad file and to binary for the .cod files. (3) The link for your OTA file is the .jad file (remember it will not have 'ftp' but 'http://....jad').