Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Let’s face it…..the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is a BIG device. The task at hand ... Product and Application Reviews forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

REVIEW: OtterBox Defender Series for Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Advertisement

Let’s face it…..the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is a BIG device. The task at hand for case makers is to come up with designs that protect, yet don’t add too much bulk or heft to an already large device. It’s a challenge for sure, but OtterBox has risen to the occasion with the iteration of their Defender Series for the Note 3.

When Kristen over at OtterBox offered me the opportunity to review a Defender Series case, I just HAD to choose the Camo/Blaze Orange one since I live in the heart of redneck NASCAR country.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

The Defender provides multi-layer protection, completely enclosing the device, starting with a two-piece polycarbonate shell that includes a built-in screen cover. The shell snaps together over the device with a secure, tight fit. A synthetic rubber slip cover is then applied over the inner shell to provide further protection from bumps, drops and shocks. This piece incorporates port covers for the charging and headphone ports as well as rubber extensions over the device controls for ease of use and operation. Screen responsiveness is just as if there was no screen protection built into the case. The “back” and “menu” buttons and other operations at the bottom of the screen can be a little tricky to use if you’re fat-fingered like me, but there’s definitely enough room for these controls to be accessible. Side controls are very easy to manipulate via the extensions on the slip cover. The port covers are very stiff to open and access, but I think that’s a good thing if you want to feel comfortable with the protection. Thankfully the cutout for the headphone port is large enough to accommodate aftermarket headsets (y’all know my pet peeve about that!).

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpgHandheld.jpg

The Defender comes with a belt-clip holster that adjusts to several different positions. The case has orange plastic tabs on both sides to lock the device into place in the holster. The belt-clip will even lock into place for use as a kickstand for watching videos and such.

Kickstand.jpg

The Defender case does not impede call clarity or device sounds in any way. The camouflage portion is a little slick, but the outer synthetic rubber piece provides for a great grip and feel. You all know how picky and anal I am about my devices and cases, but I really like this Defender Series case! The Defender comes in 7 different color combinations with 6 of them retailing at $59.95 including the holster. The Max 5 Blaze reviewed here retails for $69.95. This is a great case for those who work outdoors or in demanding environments, or even folks like me who live in NASCAR territory and want to fit in!

Stop in to www.OtterBox.com for more info on the Defender Series or choose from the dozens of other cases available for this device or yours!

Thanks again to Kristen and OtterBox for the opportunity to review your great products!

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    My, my... oi, well done Rog. Geez.
    RogerG likes this.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    Got one on my Note 3 and my son has 2 for his. He didn't like the black so he got the blue one too. Love the case just want a better belt clip. It is too hard to take out. Got any ideas on one for it?
    Last edited by bmanley; 02-27-2014 at 06:51 PM.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    +1.
    I'm going to review my $5 TPU case for my N5:

Don't.

My new Incipio Continental N7 case : Maybe.
    RogerG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
    Got one on my Note 3 and my son has 2 for his. He didn't like the black so he got the blue one too. Love the case just want a better belt clip. It is too hard to take out. Got any ideas on one for it?
    Wait, when did you get another note?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Good review Roger.
    RogerG likes this.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

I got a note 3 on ATT and took it back and switched to one on verizon. Kept it until we decided to switch some of our lines to verizon. Gave my note 3 to my son and got another one on ATT. Need to take it in a get a new one because this one keeps messing up. The samsung reps at 2 best buys were going to try and reload the phone but last time I was in there they didn't have the right stuff to do it so they told me just to have best buys get me another one.
    What it is doing is for one I can't shut the bluetooth off. You can slide it to off but it turns itself right back on. And now it never shows the right count for email

Gotcha. Sorry you're having so many issues.

It's not been a big deal, at least the BT is on and not stuck off and the email count is not a big deal. My only thing is if these little things are going on what else might be messed up and I just don't know it. Plus I just don't use BT that much so it just wastes battery

In regards to Bluetooth, do you have any app that uses it running in the background? May be keeping it alive. Some users reported issues when Bluetooth is on and YouTube awhile back.

Try this for email count. Settings/apps/swipe to "all". Choose email app and the "clear data". If using exchange do same for that as well.

I'm sure the Geek Squad probably did this, but back up all data and perform a factory reset. This puts the phone back to as it was when opened our of the box. Be aware that all data is erased as are settings.

I don't think I have anything running in the background that would be keeping it open but it is possible. The samsung reps at the first BB had it for about a hour. Can't remember what they called it but basically they wanted to redo the firmware update but they didn't have it on their laptop and spent some time on the phone on hold with their tech support. Kind of though that was funny. About a week later tried a different store but same thing, they didn't have the software they needed.
    I had used the BT back in Dec just fine with my GPS but in Jan I tried my headset for the first time since hands free became law here. After I used it that day with the headset it would not shut off. Unpaired it and even deleted the GPS software I had used with my garmin but no luck. Have not done a full reset because I just don't want to reload everything and get that stuff setup again and like I said turn off is not a big deal to me and I can live with it.

I'm guessing they wanted to reload current firmware since any update would be ota. You would have lost data with that as well since they would have had to use Odin to flash it. It's something you could do yourself, don't pay them to.

Of you're ever inclined I'll track down the files. It's not hard but will wipe phone too. You don't need to be routed to reflash via odin,. Matter of fact, if you were rooted you'd have to do it all over again.

What ever they were going to do they said would not wipe anything off my phone. And they don't charge to do this

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    You guys are gonna forgive me for what I'm going to write , please. OK?
    Regarding the matter at hand on this thread, I suggest jfcooley should advise bmanley in this manner: get an Otterbox Defender and all would be fine. Why? 'Cause you wouldn't see or find out any of these problems with that type of protection. And then this thread wouldn't have been hijacked.
    In fact your topic warrants a thread on its own.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    I'd carry one of these if someone decided to give me one.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast