• 1 Post By RogerG
  • 1 Post By chokem
  • 1 Post By BP41
  • 2 Post By BP41
  • 2 Post By RogerG
  • 1 Post By TeriO
  • 1 Post By RogerG
  • 1 Post By TeriO

First, I would like to thank RogerG for not telling me “sorry too late” when ... Product and Application Reviews forum

TeriO no está en línea Stack level 3

Review of the fre for iPhone 5s Case

Advertisement

First, I would like to thank RogerG for not telling me “sorry too late” when I let him know that I would be available and willing to review the new fre for iPhone 5s case. I would also like to thank LIFEPROOF for actually sending me the case.

I have used LIFE PROOF cases on my other iPhone and I really like the slim design and the way it feels when I hold it. I have fairly small hands, so while other cases provide decent protection, I feel that LIFEPROOF is superior because of the snug fit to my phone. Having said that, I ultimately decided to stop using LIFEPROOF on my other iPhone because of some issues with past cases. First, I had people tell me that either they could not hear me or I sounded like I was in a tunnel when I talked to them. I went to the LIFEPROOF website and followed the instructions for this problem and it didn’t help. I then called customer support, which was exemplary in helping me, and they immediately sent me a new case at no charge. With that case, the issue of being able to hear me was resolved, but I found the screen protector to be VERY slack and it did not lay flat to my screen. Thus, it made use of my phone very cumbersome and I would find myself pressing on my screen rather than lightly tapping on it. I tried to make it work for several months, but ultimately took the case off that phone. I did not contact LIFEPROOF customer service again, to my detriment. Because of these past issues, I was hesitant to purchase another LIFEPROOF case when I upgraded my phone to a 5s.

Having said all that… I LOVE THIS CASE!

First, I am a big baby when it comes to protecting my phone from water. Even with a waterproof case on, I tend to keep it away from running water. However, I did wanted to make sure that I gave a fair review, so in an effort to test the water security of the fre, I followed the instructions that came in the case packaging for doing a water test. I put the case together, without my phone, and submerged it in a sink of water for 30 minutes. I am happy to report that there was zero moisture inside the case after I completed the test.

I also did a drop test. I carry my phone around with me, a lot, and have been known to drop it in the past. So it was important to me that I have a case which would protect it when my clumsiness struck. Once more, the fre did not disappoint.

I use my fingerprint scan, so I was skeptical that there could be a case that was both waterproof and would honor the flexibility that the fingerprint scanner provides. I am glad to report, that there are no issues with the design that LIFEPROOF has implemented for this phone and the fingerprint scan.

Another thing that I like about this new case, is that the headphone jack cover is now attached to the case it’s self so that it will not get lost when you screw in the headphone jack.

Now, to be fair and balanced, there are a few things, fairly minor, that I don’t like with this case.

I don’t like how masculine it looks, with no option for something more feminine. There is a white case that is available, but to methat is not really feminine as much as it’s just “plain”. I am a girly girl and enjoy expressing that with my phone cases, if I can do so without the loss of security of protection for my phone. So, for me, more color choices would be a great thing. I also tend to get bored with the colors of my cases and I can easily see myself purchasing a few different cases and swapping them out every once in a while. At the present time, that is not much of an option to do that with this case. (edit: LIFEPROOF has released new cases in multiple colors. So this "dislike" is now resolved and no longer an issue)

Audio quality was not initially the best when I first put the case on my 5s. I was again getting some people telling me that I sound like I was in a tunnel and a few who could not hear me at all. I once again followed the instructions on the LIFEPROOF website, for fixing this issue, and the problem seems to have been fully resolved. The same people who were having problems hearing me have now said that I sound perfectly fine and it’s as if there was nothing between the speaker on my phone and my voice. I list it as a “dislike” becauseI feel that it would have been better had I not had to do anything at all to fix an audio issue and the case should have worked perfectly straight out of the box. That andI felt like I needed SOMETHING a little more substantial then how pretty the case was or was not in my “dislike” category.

All in all, I am very pleased with the fre for iPhone 5s case and would gladly recommend it to anyone interested in a quality case for their iPhone 5s.
    Last edited by TeriO; 11-20-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    PapaMag, RogerG, Delfim and 2 others like this.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Nice review, I'm glad you got a chance to use and review this case. Sound's like a solid buy for those looking to protect the 5C. Maybe there will be more designs in the near future to satisfy everyone's taste.

As far as the water and drop test, I'm with you on testing without the device even though they guarantee it's protection.

Thanks again
    TeriO likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Nicely done TeriO.
    TeriO likes this.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Great job T!
    TeriO likes this.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Nicely done!
    TeriO likes this.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Good to hear that the one for the 5s is working well. How well does it handle TouchID? I'd like to know a bit more about this. I will say to not be afraid to dunk the iPhone. Lol. I had mine in the ocean about a month ago. BTW, they'll survive more than 2 meters. Not sure for how long but I've taken mine to a bit past 3.
    TeriO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    Nice review, I'm glad you got a chance to use and review this case. Sound's like a solid buy for those looking to protect the 5C. Maybe there will be more designs in the near future to satisfy everyone's taste.

As far as the water and drop test, I'm with you on testing without the device even though they guarantee it's protection.

Thanks again
    I am sure that will happen. In the mean time, I have been able to find a purple, pink, and grey swirly sticker that is made specifically to fit on the LIFEPROOF case. So, for now, my inner princess is satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by BP41 View Post
    Good to hear that the one for the 5s is working well. How well does it handle TouchID? I'd like to know a bit more about this. I will say to not be afraid to dunk the iPhone. Lol. I had mine in the ocean about a month ago. BTW, they'll survive more than 2 meters. Not sure for how long but I've taken mine to a bit past 3.
    It works really well with it. So well, in fact, that I was surprised. I expected there to be at least a little bit of an issue with unresponsiveness, but there really isn't at all. I have a writer friend who was up against a deadline and she took hers into the shower with her so that she could continue writing while taking care of other things too. So, I know that the case protects very well against water. It's like a reflexive things for me though to not let water near it. Maybe someday I will overcome that particular fault. LOL

BP41 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    7B47F4DA
    Lifeproof now have colors available for you TeriO.
    RogerG and TeriO like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BP41 View Post
    Lifeproof now have colors available for you TeriO.
    Squeee!!!!! Thank you for letting me know!!!!!

They emailed me the other day to tell me to tell you, Teri, but I forgot, so there ya go. Thanks, B.
    TeriO and BP41 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    They emailed me the other day to tell me to tell you, Teri, but I forgot, so there ya go. Thanks, B.
    Logically, it makes sense that they would read my review... However, having that confirmed is a little... um... LOL Anyway, thanks Roger! I have updated my review to reflect that "dislike" is no longer an issue.
    BP41 likes this.

I always email the links to our reviews to the sponsors.
    TeriO likes this.

Well of course that makes perfect sense.
    RogerG likes this.