can i watch videos from you tube on it?... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bently776 no está en línea Stack level 1

You tube and the pearl

Advertisement

can i watch videos from you tube on it?

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Re: You tube and the pearl

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Nope, no streaming videos, and no way to download from YouTube...

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by I7oobie
    no way to download from YouTube...
    There is a way that you can download videos from YouTube, however, it takes a lot of extensions, formatting and is a pain in the rear.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Quote Originally Posted by bently776
    can i watch videos from you tube on it?
    Yes, but you need to use a third party downloading site, of which there are hundreds.

Then convert the "FLV" file to a format that will play on the Pearl. YouTube and Google Video play in an "FLV" format, which is a "flash" file.

When FLV files first came out it was thought that there is some copyright protection since the masses would not know how to download flash files playing on a site.

It takes about three minutes from downloading on YouTube to transferring to the Pearl.

Millions of people doing it, apparently now with the blessing of the major studios who have cut deals with YouTube to not go after YouTube for copyright infringement [ala Napster].

Sidenote: my suspicion is that the film industry learned a lesson from the music folks [some whom are one and the same]. Going after Napster resulted in a loss of income to music producers and artists because people stopped sharing, but went to online buying of singles, as opposed to buying profitable full CD's. Starting with Apple, and now including everyone, online retailers have gone to "default" 99 cent for singles sales.

Fact is the Napster copyright cases negatively and involuntarily caused the recording industry to change the way it does business.

E.g., Tower Records went bankrupt, closed down last week and its approximately 80 stores are being sold for scrap. You can bet the Virgin Megastores have taken note and are running scared. Yes they have customers, but the BIG profit centers are computer savvy 18-35 year old consumers. They have gone online on a 99 cent buying frenzy. Meanwhile, the brick and mortar stores are emptying out.

Moreover, the film [and recording industry] industry have learned YouTube is as good a marketing tool as one could ever hope to find. Better to treat them as a friend rather than an enemy.

They realize that it is far better to figure out a way to make money on the 100 million DAILY hits YouTube gets, rather than trying to put a stop to the above behavior I mentioned [copying and converting].
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-13-2006 at 01:53 AM.

bently776 no está en línea Stack level 1

Okay so I can download it but I need a converter to play it??

jason8888 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco

It takes about three minutes from downloading on YouTube to transferring to the Pearl.
    Hey sanfrancisco, can you tell us more about how this is done?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by bently776
    Okay so I can download it but I need a converter to play it??
    Once downloading you can play it with an "FLV Player." Those are free all over the net.

Or you can use mine

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/flvplayer_setup.exe

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

An add-in for Firefox? Sweet... Is it easy N8?
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

Quote Originally Posted by jason8888
    Hey sanfrancisco, can you tell us more about how this is done?
    Here is a sample video [I like oldie MTV stuff. Better music than the new crap on MTV]. This took me about 5 minutes from downloading to converting [learning curve back then].

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/A...reverYoung.3GP

Here is the site I use:

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

And a backup one:

http://keepvid.com/

After saving the FLV file to your PC you sometimes have to manually ADD the <.flv> extension to the file name. For example..... jackassclip.flv You have to make sure the .flv is added to the file name otherwise it will not play. On YouTube files, for example, when you click "save target as" on one of the downloading sites, the default name of the download will be "get_video" I don't know why it does that, but all I do is name the file what I want and add the .flv after the name.

After downloading, you can use my FLV player to play.

Or to convert for the Pearl just use the FREE Super C program. See my Super C link and discussion [see other threads] to convert the FLV file downloaded.

In Super C I use the Sony Ericsson default settings. Has worked well except that the player controls lag. No time to check how to fix that. I'm just happy to see any video I want playing on my Pearl. In fact, the Pearl videos are SMALLER than regular MP3 files!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, finding Super C on the provider's site is confusing, so here is Super C that I put on my server for all Member's convenience. It's a 24MB file!:

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/SuperCsetup.exe

Here is a snapshot of the Super C interface. There are others who use manual settings for conversion, but for now I am pleased with using the Sony Ericsson default settings, EXCEPT for changes made where indicated on my snapshot.

Oh, I changed the skin to WinXP style, that is why it looks different from the Super C you will be opening. You just right click anywhere on the interface and click change skin if you want a different one other than the default.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/S...nyEricsson.jpg

Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-13-2006 at 02:01 AM.

By the way, any of you YouTube members? If so, go there and rate my posting on the Pearl. Preferably a high rating please.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1rwsIFL_0-0