Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for the heads up created here Nate. Based on your reports and even initial ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Withdrawing Recommendation Of 8100 As A Multi-Media Device

Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up created here Nate. Based on your reports and even initial setup prob you've shared with me I also wouldn't recommend getting this device until these issues are fixed esp for users with high multimedia expectations.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I will wait for all the bugs to be worked out. I don't really need a camera or video player. Thanks for the info.

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Wow, I should have guessed that there would be issues with the initial release.

When the 8700 came out I waited a while before buying one. The same thing might have to be done with the 8100.

I want a PlayStation 3 in November, but I think I'll wait a few months for that too, just in case...

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Thanks for the info N8.

Bellidansa no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Pls Ask

OOh joy, more dramma....my 8100 is on its way......well I did say on one of my postings, the saga will continue....wow

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by navilyn
    Wow, I should have guessed that there would be issues with the initial release.

When the 8700 came out I waited a while before buying one. The same thing might have to be done with the 8100.
    I didn't wait for the 8700, and the only thing that had teething problems with it was the Speaker Phone control of the ringtone feature and the dust problem that some of the 8700 had. Mine didn't have the dust problem early on. And the Ringtone control problem was fixed with the second release of the device. Nothing like what N8 has seen with the pearl.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

N8...

Sorry for your problems! Hopefully this will clear itself up with software updates and so forth! I'm sure that you may have come across on a couple of bad apples out of the bunch! Still frustrating none the less!!!

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thank you, N8, for your thorough posts on the 8100. You were more than fair with this device. Your patience with its lack of ability, or inability, was far greater than most.

If it was me, I would have traded it in for an iPod. Now there is something that works out of the box!

jlesh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D95340

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~This definitely sucks. I had a feeling that there was going to be at least one weakness with this device, because RIM was taking a big step with this. I guess they may have bitten off more than they could chew, adding all these new features on one device rather than taking it step by step. Hopefully you just got a couple bum devices, but this is probably the one thing they didn't get exactly right. I just hope they get it figured out by the time they release the "Gamma Ray"(8800) because that's the new BB I'm holding out for.

feelmaroon no está en línea Stack level 2

despite the video weakness which gave me the same problems (though i have an episode of simpsons i converted on magicbit that plays perfectly straight through the 30 minutes *albeit the 10 second stalls to control any of the functions if i want to adjust anything*, i still recommend this phone as the best all around smartphone i've ever owned (previously owned: treo650, mda, sidekickII, bb7105t and the moto Q). hands down. i got separate portable audio and video already (ipod 60gig for music, av500 for video *which in my humble opinion is the best portable hardware and the most underrated to come out in the past two years*) so the video was a throwaway and just for the novelty. this is the only smartphone that you can one-hand as you run around manhattan. it has a fluid interface all BB's, runs edge well, native scrolling maps with one touch with a trackball to scroll n, w, s, e with ease that the 8700 doesn't, its tiny and sleek, and the suretype is miles improved from the 7105t.i type emails much faster than both the Q and the treo650.but the lead thread poster (N8DBB) is right, that guy knows whats up when he withdraws a recommendation. he helped me through it and that guy knows what he's talking about. so he's right in a sense that if video is important to you on a phone, then go moto Q (slingblade works incredibly on it). otherwise, i liken video as the am stations of a new 2006 lexus that just don't work very well. but the rest of the lexus is smooth as ever.

makayama no está en línea Stack level 1

As a developer of mobile video software, I would like to defend RIM (somewhat) here.

1) No mobile device can play all formats and codecs, you can't just throw any video at a device and expect it to play. There are tens of formats out there and hundreds of codecs. RIM have indicated that the Pearl supports MPEG4 Part II, which means the videos that can play on the device need to be encoded exactly as required by that specification. MPEG4 or H263 video, AMR or AAC audio, a certain limited number of resolutions (for example 176x144) and a maximum bitrate for picture and sound.
    2) Pocket PCs only play Windows Media files, most mobile phones only play 3GP, iPods only mp4 files. So every other device in the market has these kind of limitations.
    3) I've never seen a statement that the Pearl supports DivX. It would be virtually impossible to play a divx file downloaded from the internet on a mobile device, because usually they are encoded with videobitrates up to 1megabit/sec and a resolution of 640x480 or higher. I know of no other mobile device that can play such files out-of-the-box.
    4) I do agree with the original poster that a video player should never throw an exception if it chokes on a file. It should give a message 'unsupported video' and close the file.

We're planning to make a version of our Makayama Media Studio-series for the Pearl (if we can get our hands on one, because we're in Europe), which will encode video to the exact specs needed, and I'm pretty sure the videos it produces will play without the issues mentioned by the original poster.

p.s does anyone know an online retailer that ships to Europe so that we can order a device?

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

I have had cell phones since the days when they were the size of car batteries. Always had to have the latest and greatest, paying $500 for them. PDA, clamshell, world's smallest, you name it, I've had it.

I have used the 7100t for about 15 months and enjoyed the phone immensely. I jumped on the 8100 the minute they were available online as an upgrade.

I have other devices that play MP3 and video, so while the 8100 is nice that it does these things, I primarily wanted it for the size change, additional features, and the 1.3 MP camera [I am tired of always having to lug my small digital cameras around to make sure I don't miss that once-in-a-lifetime pic].

So the video player was not of interest to me. In fact, I did not know if it played video before I bought it [I think I confused the reviews that said it did not take video shots with thinking that meant it did not play video].

But, as said, I am sure RIM will fix the problem with a patch, if there is a problem. I too think that the issue is the video not being compatible with that which the 8100 plays. I do a lot of video work and I have every codec out there so I do not have a problem with playback. If the 8100 will only play with one or two codecs, then I suspect that is the issue with the player crashing.

I know a lot of people think that if a video clip has an "avi" or "mpeg" extension then it must play on any player out there. But that is not true. Take Windows media player. I am always getting that "there is a codec needed" message when trying to play video I have downloaded.

It's a pain in the *** dealing with codecs.

BBadBoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    4010DD80

Thanks for the info N8. I must admit I'm more than a little disappointed. Guess I'll be waiting some more until they get the video kinks worked out. The ability to download and view video on the fly was one of the features I was most looking forward to. I'll probably still get one, but I guess it won't be until the next release.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ayomik no está en línea Stack level 1

Maybe you didn't go through the setup wizard when you first turned on the device. Believe it or not but if you don't go through the setup wizard, the device will freeze and not function properly.

jglasel no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204CF305

I cannot get stereo sound even with the BB embedded sample video file. Only one channel (right side) works. Same with mp3 files. My question is whether this is a mechanical problem having to do with the stereo jack receptacle on my particular handset or a problem that everybody has and that can be solved with a BB software update.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast