Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

(Pictures of device crashes are located at the bottom of this post) I am formally ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Withdrawing Recommendation Of 8100 As A Multi-Media Device

Advertisement

(Pictures of device crashes are located at the bottom of this post)

I am formally withdrawing all support and recommendation of the 8100 Pearl as a multi-media device.

The main reason I am doing this is because of the lack of its capabilities to correctly play video on the device.

As many of you may know, I have just returned from exchanging the 8100 that I picked up on Tuesday for another 8100 device after I was receiving the following error while attempting to play video files:

Uncaught Exception: Application net_rim_bb_file_explorer(xxx) is not responding; process terminated (Where as xxx were the following numbers: 102, 104, 118, 119).

I was hoping that this was just one device that the problem was limited to, however that is obviously not the case.

Straight out of the box the 8100 that was exchanged for is experiencing the same errors.

Also while playing video, the control features for the media player and the rest of the device become completely worthless.

Volume controls may work, but will take 15 seconds or more to actually excecute, if they do at all.

The back button will not work. The menu button will not work. The red power key button will not work.

If this were happening on only certain videos, I would be under the assumption that it is an error in the actual videos themselves. However, this is just not the case. It has happened in every video that I have attempted to load and play onto the device.

Also, RIM is misleading in the video formats that it claims the player will support. RIM claims that they will support DIVX .avi files, however, when you attempt to load a file of that format into the player, the file is not recognized as supported.

Some of you may also be aware of earlier posts that certain MPEG files would not load also. The audio would play but not the video. I believe this was caused because the coding that most portable devices now use (H.264) is not supported on the 8100, but rather H.263 is supported.

I have tried unsucessfully for the last 5 days to actually get this player working correctly, and have consulted persons with vast knowledge of computers and vast knowledge of these devices, yet we have failed to find the reason this problem is happening or a way to rectify it.

Other media functions on this device DO appear to be working correctly. No issues with MP3's what-so-ever. The camera takes great pictures for a "cell phone", and transferring files is very simple and effortless to do.

Unfortunately, to classify as a multi-media device, it must be able to support video also. Because it is not supporting it correctly, this cannot be classified as a true multi-media device.

Maybe I have just gotten lemon 8100's, who knows. Obviously I will continue to work on this and attempt to consult more with those who are knowledgeable in this area and T-Mobile and RIM.

If video is something that you won't use on your device anyways, but do like the camera and the MP3 player, this is a very attractive and capable device. However, in my opinion, buying this device and not having ALL applications working correctly would be the equivalent of purchasing a Lexus and the air conditioner and windshield wipers not working.

As I stated, if streaming video is something you don't care about or would never use, then this should not be an issue with you, and you will probably have no issues with the device what-so-ever. But if video was one of the main reasons that you were interested in this device or you want a device that does completely work, you will more than likely be as disappointed as I am in it.

When player crashes, you can see that the screen splits with the notification popping up underneath the frozen video

After getting to main screen and pressing okay, device locks up. As seen above, it cuts off about 3/4 of the way down the error box, rendering the device useless until it is rebooted. Attempting to bring the menu up or open another application will not clear screen. Olny thing that can be done is a reboot.

Maybe I am the only one that has this issue. Maybe the Pearl doesn't like me. Who knows. What I do know is that other people are also having issues with the video also, so it's not a rare case.

I will continue to keep everyone posted on what happens and what support if any is received from RIM or T-Mobile.

JadedBerry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    203B4165

Re: Withdrawing Recommendation Of 8100 As A Multi-Media Device

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thx N8. I'm not interested in this device but its good info for others. Sorry you're having so many issues with it

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

After talking to you in pin and seeing your posts. I am of the opinion that the 8700 is still the superior Blackberry. And I thank you for the information you have passed on to us on this subject.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I simply feel that my position here, as much as I don't want to not recommend a device, is to pass on the best information that I can do and to inform other members of what to expect.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Thanks N8, any information is good information.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Thanks N8. Looks like I will be adding a PSP to my collection instead of the Pearl.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by dasupaman23
    Thanks N8. Looks like I will be adding a PSP to my collection instead of the Pearl.
    Sure you still don't want to buy mine?

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

perhaps a faulty device?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

That still may be a possibility, however this is the 2nd device.

Also, other users here have been having issues with video.

I can't say one way or another. I may just have bad luck of the draw or a batch of 81's that went to the south maybe screwed up.

Maybe they think we don't know how to use them there devices down herr.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

This is still probably totally OS related and can most likely all dissapear with an OS update. I'm not in the LEAST surprised. Remember this posts i made where I mentioned "... it (the 8100) will be released earlier than RIM’s plan, that's a given. However, look for the device to have issues in built quality or OS related due to lack of testing."

So look for the "finished" Pearl in the next physical and software builds RIM releases. Don't give up on the Pearl just yet... it was taken out the clam shell a little too soon that's all.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Oh, I have no doubt that this is totally software related, and as you mentioned it was taken out of the shell too soon.

I don't want to speculate, but oh well, I will.

I believe that RIM's R&D staff was under tremendous pressue to get this device out by the posted release date and therefore some things are obviously going to be missing.

Like I said, I am withdrawing it for now.

The main reason of this post is to inform those who are very interested in purchasing the Pearl. I simply want them to know what to expect.

Everything is going to have issues when it first comes out and is released, but I feel also, as much as we love these devices, we do need to keep other berry users in the loop on the good and the bad, and that's what this post is meant to do.

Not to say that when the update comes out they won't have this fixed, but the question is: When is the update going to come out?

Again, this post is made to inform those considering this device what to expect when they go explore the multi-media functions of it.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ thanks for the info.

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

That could be very possible N8. I mean getting 2 bad ones in a row. If you all remember, when I first got my 87, I went thru 3. The third one being the one that I have now. The first 2 had different problems. One wouldn't hold memory and I for get what the problem was on the other.

But my point is, it does happen.

Also it could be that, in RIMs rush to get a slice of the consumer market, they may have rushed these out to soon. It really sounds as if they could have used more indepth testing.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Oh, and without starting a new thread, I wanted to mention this and throw this out there.

It seems as if RIM IS listening to what thier users are saying, which pretty much confirms they have employees who visit these sites.

Many people (myself included) asked why the password lock was set at 10x and could not be changed to a lesser number of attempts.

Well the 4.2 OS on the Pearl allows you to set password lockout anywhere from 10 down to 3 times.

Now, hopefully they are reading the above posts and going to push that update out a little quicker.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Sure you still don't want to buy mine?
    Well if you still give me my free.99 price Or what you paid for it, then I might.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast