I just got the 8120 (t-mobile) and don't have a data plan. I've been able ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

skier5 no está en línea Stack level 1

Wifi with Cisco Clean Access

Advertisement

I just got the 8120 (t-mobile) and don't have a data plan. I've been able to use the wifi to connect to a regular router with no restrictions without problems. However, at school we have a guest access point, which forces you to read the tos and accept them before you can use the internet. At one point, it would load the tos page, but wouldn't allow me to hit the agree button. Now, it won't even load the page. It's not that the wifi service is down because I've been able to connect to the same access point using my laptop's wireless connection.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Moe2005 no está en línea Stack level 3
    We have that at my school (FIU) also. Make sure your browser emulation is set to BB. If you have OS 4.5, disable the cursor and there should be no problems because that's what I do and it works like a charm. ~via BB 8320 (wap.pinstack.com)~

rmerck no está en línea Device Pro
    Try enabling Java through the BlackBerry Browser, and if that doesn't work then when you are at home, install Opera Mini to the device. Next time you connect at school, use Opera Mini to access the internet, from there, you can use the BlackBerry Browser, or continue to use Opera.

But bottom line... you're going to want to have Opera on hand for sites that are not optimized in anyway for mobile applications.

ETA: No you aren't doing anything wrong
    Last edited by rmerck; 07-08-2008 at 01:54 PM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
    Jesus, Luke 22:36

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
    Gen. John Pershing, U.S. Army

Quote Originally Posted by Moe2005 View Post
    We have that at my school (FIU) also. Make sure your browser emulation is set to BB. If you have OS 4.5, disable the cursor and there should be no problems because that's what I do and it works like a charm. ~via BB 8320 (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have version 4.3...so I should be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by rmerck View Post
    Try enabling Java through the BlackBerry Browser, and if that doesn't work then when you are at home, install Opera Mini to the device. Next time you connect at school, use Opera Mini to access the internet, from there, you can use the BlackBerry Browser, or continue to use Opera.

But bottom line... you're going to want to have Opera on hand for sites that are not optimized in anyway for mobile applications.

ETA: No you aren't doing anything wrong
    There's no version for the 8120...should I just use the 8100 version?

vipero07 no está en línea Stack level 1
    no, use the 8120 orange UK 4.5 version it works with t-mobile's UMA and would be unlikely to brick your phone (it did not brick mine). P.S. the Clean Access garbage at FIU is in fact garbage, and not set up right. use opera mobile you'd be better off in that case.

mitchsurp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    246F0115
    I'm probably the person to talk to. My school has the Clean Access bug. But, for what it's worth, I think it's a good thing.

The problem comes with your wifi. Depending on your schools setup, they may grant an exception for your phone. I wouldn't bank on it, though.

I can use the wireless in the dorms and in the buildings, using the "wifi hotspot login" option.

But UMA almost never works.

I'll post more later on how I got it to work.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mitchsurp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    246F0115
    Cisco Clean Access and You(r BlackBerry).

Welcome, Wifi BlackBerry user, to the wonderful world of Cisco Clean Access. You've got an uphill battle ahead of you so, let's get started.

First, if you're lucky enough to get your Wifi BlackBerry to attach to the wireless networks on campus, you're probably going to get some sort of Terms of Service page that will allow you, at best, 30 minutes of connection time.

Be warned, UMA will probably not work, unless your school allows you to have your own router (which is generally frowned upon, as it defeats the purpose of CleanAccess).

Second, contact the Tech department. More than likely, they have a system where you can request that a specific MAC address can be exempted from needing the CleanAccess requirements. This is often used for gaming systems. DO NOT give your phone's MAC address as your gaming console, claiming that it is your Xbox. That's probably a violation of your school's network policy, and could get you kicked off the network for good.

Contact the tech department and ask them if they would grant an exception for your phone, and explain why. More than likely, they're willing to do it.

Keep your BlackBerry on the "Internet Browser" setting, even when you're going to connect to a Wifi spot. When one is in range, and the Wifi icon is dark, select the "Wifi Hotspot Login" (or whatever it's called on yours), and your browser (and third-party apps) will default to Wifi until closed.

If you absolutely MUST have UMA (though that's debatable in most college towns), you could probably try to hook up your own router. Though, as stated before, schools will probably block the use of routers, as it undermines the core principal behind client authentication on CleanAccess.

Any Questions?
    Last edited by mitchsurp; 09-23-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: two "firsts"