can anyone tell me how to setup an wifi network on the 8220 and are ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ROBBIE37 no está en línea Stack level 2

wifi setup ?

Advertisement

can anyone tell me how to setup an wifi network on the 8220 and are there any free (like hotspots to connect to) thanks robbie37

kyleresq no está en línea Stack level 3
    Robbie, if you have a network to connect to (i.e., your home, your office, etc) you set it up under "manage connections". You start with "set up wifi network" and it will allow you to "scan for networks" and then enter the key for a network that you have access to.

Under the main "options" screen, under "mobile networks", you can select "wifi preferred" and the phone will look for free networks for you to connect to. In airports, and in Starbucks, and in any other place that says "free wifi", it should connect automatically...

thanks kyleresq

Let me know if you have any issues getting it set up!

smiley's

is there any way to download smiley icons to the phone and where can you get them from.

The phone has a bunch of smiley icons for use in Messenger...there are some programs in Handandgo were you can buy smiley packages, but I don't believe the recipient gets them so I don't know that they are useful...

Thanks again~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

beav626 no está en línea Stack level 3
    What is the benefit to connecting to wifi? I connected to 3 different networks and I could not surf the web or make calls?

FahCore no está en línea Stack level 2
    I think it has to do with the networks signal strength and how many people are using it.
    For example I was at Grant Park in Chicago last week. It has a free WiFi and I was browsing faster and had a decent voice reception. However at Grant Park during the Obama Rally last night(over 200,000 in attendance) I connected to the same network, it showed no signal strength and couldnt make a call or even send a text to save my life.

Wish Tmo would have had the COWs roaming around the city last night

Fah, what an amazing time to be there!

FYI, TMO has a plan that for $10 you can make and recieve unlimited calls, texts, emails, etc over WiFi. That's the only benefit for me...well, that, and use of the phone in a house that has a lot of dead spots.

FahCore no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have the hot spot calling and UMA is a great thing.
    Im just saying that last night the wifi signal where I was at sucked, so I connected but could still barley complete a call without 5 failed attempts first. My data kept popping between EDGE, edge and GSM. My device also kept finding the wifi and dropping. It was a week ago in same park that everything worked great, but there was not over 300,000( new figure as of this morning- BET claims over 600,00) people there
    Im just guessing alot of people at Grant Park maxing out the cell sites and having settings on network= automatic and wifi= preferred maxing out the wifi connectivity.
    So unlimited stuff over wifi is cool if you can connect to said network.