Okay, so I am obviously missing something fundamentally simple here (one hopes) and a Forum ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

MleB no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Wifi - Bell Hotspot (Starbucks) Canada

Advertisement

Okay, so I am obviously missing something fundamentally simple here (one hopes) and a Forum Search didn't seem to resolve the issue.

Moreover, I guess this is applicable to any public hotspot that has a sign-in on a webpage to access the wifi - like some libraries, etc...

Has anyone practical experience with connecting up to Bell Hotspots as found in Starbucks? On my old Palm TX and my notebook, one makes connection with the wifi, then opens the browser to be re-directed to a sign-in page. There, there are places to insert the 16 digit card number and the 8 digit password found on the back of a Starbucks card.

On my BB (8220), it finds the wifi signal with no problem, but then seems to require other info to set up the connection before I can even get to the webpage. What info do I need to put where? What do I need to do?

I set up my home wifi with no issue and it runs WEP, so I'm not totally simple, but...?

I can't imagine the BB or the browser itself would prevent people from accessing public wifi (that would seem to be so counter-productive and goes against the implied features of the Owner's Manual), so what are steps (for a newbie) here?

Thanks all in advance!

MleB
    Last edited by MleB; 02-16-2009 at 10:11 AM.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    When you set up a public access point using the wizard in my bold, the final screen has a button that you're supposed to click on for it to take you to the public hotspot's access login screen... I'm sure there's something similar for you as well.

What additional information is it asking for?

Sorry for being a bit vague, haven't done this in a while...

~via smartphone~

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Once the WiFi is recognized, go back in your Setup WiFi Network. The bottom button should be WiFi Hotspot Login. Click that and the login screen will appear.

Fill in the blanks and et voila!
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinks View Post
    Once the WiFi is recognized, go back in your Setup WiFi Network. The bottom button should be WiFi Hotspot Login. Click that and the login screen will appear.

Fill in the blanks and et voila!
    Me thinks sirthinks is smarter than me...

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Nah, I just live at Starbucks and Second Cup.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Add me to bbim man... I could learn something from you... Let's share ideas... 255bbbfd

~via smartphone~

This is sounding hopeful, Sirthinks - but again, consider the newbie factor...

So, going to Setup > Wifi Setup > Scan for Networks > (it asks to turn wifi on and one does) > and it lists available networks. Click on bell_hotspot, yes?

Here's the bit can't do right now to finish your instructions as I'm not at the cafe...

Now doesn't clicking on the hotspot then open up a window asking for Security info before proceeding? Having confirmed the bell_hotspot is the one I want to log onto by clicking on it, how do I then go back to the wifi setup to access the WiFi Hotspot Login?

See? Newbie. Sorry.

Thanks again!

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Right. When it asks for security info just close it. There is no security info required on a public hotspot. Then you will be taken out of connections altogether. go back in and select the Login to WiFi Hotspot. Enter your username and password.

When you select the Login to Wifi Hotspot button, your browser should pop up with the Starbucks login page.

OK, so I let it find bell_hotspot, clicked on it and named it Starbucks. Then, perhaps mistakenly, I clicked Next, thinking that would confirm it in my list of wifi networks. I then exited.
    Went back in and clicked Wifi Hotspot Login and I got a pop-up asking about what wanted to do with the untrusted certificate. I said to accept it, but this kept popping up. Then I was also getting a request to my Handheld Key Store and what is my password?

Wha...? I have no idea what that is. Why am I filling this in?

I briefly got taken to the Bold Street login page for Bell, but filling in the data there resulted in all sorts of red dialog complaining about my lack of email address....

Jeez, this is complicated and messy. Makes logging on at Starbuck on my Linux netbook or old Palm PDA look like a dawdle. Clearly I am doing something wrong - your instructions look so obvious, Sirthinks....

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    ~via BB8900 smartphone~

Okay, I just went through the whole process at Second Cup

I took screen caps of each stage. I will post when I get home.

jciconsult no está en línea Stack level 1
    I tried any number of times at starbucks. It works with my netbook, but I can't get to the login screen on my bold. When I use the hotspot login, I get a screen which gives me 5 choices (bell customer, starbucks card etc.). I have tried both of them but cannot get any further. What am I doing wrong?