Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all, I'm researching right now and love all of the info I get from ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

nmadd no está en línea Stack level 3

Is the Pearl right for what I want?

Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm researching right now and love all of the info I get from the forum. One question:

I'm looking to setup new Blackberry service. I'm going to use it mainly for voice and web (I have to check my sports scores a lot ) but sporadically for email. I'll use it for email heavily about 45 days/year when traveling. I'd like it to fit in my pocket; it will be my only phone. I'd say I'm mostly in it for the fun/gadgetry because it will not be a super business-heavy device (at least I hope not).

Is this the phone for me? Besides the price, any reason to go for a 7105t instead for instance?

Thanks for any advice. I can't wait to get my first Blackberry!

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: Why shouldn't I get a Pearl?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~if u want to use it mainly as a tool then I say go for the 8700. But if u like to have media, like mp3s and video while u travel then go with the pearl. I personally don't really care about the mp3 or cam. I love my 8700g because of the qwerty pad and I like to type a lot.I also have big hands that's why I choose 8700 over the 8100. But don't get me wrong the 8100 is one sexxy device, its just not for me

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    8700 is sooo much faster than a SureType (at least for me) it feels a lot more natural. I like the Mp3s and camera of the pearl, but I'm waiting for multimedia with qwerty. If you're looking to buy now, I vote for the 8700, if you want to give it a couple weeks, wait for the pearl and see if they release an OS update, an OEM holster. Althought I jumped right into the 8700g, I think the Pearl is far too new to recommend to a first time BB owner.

rydintl1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Is the Pearl right for what I want?

I have had over 10 Blackberries thru the years. I have the 7105T and just "upgraded" to the 8100 Pearl a couple of days ago. Bottom line is I am happy I did but here are a few comments plus and minus: 1. Pearl is smaller so that is good and bad.... The screen is smaller than the 7105T but it is bright, but so too is the 7105T. 2. The "keys" are smaller and thus if you have big hands, it is a little trickier typing as fast. I can usually type about 35 words or more per minute and seem to now have adjusted pretty good to the Pearl. 3. IF you are in an area for EDGE reception (I am not as Santa Barbara does not have EDGE but most large metro areas do) then there is a big advantage as it downloads any attachments and especially goes to webpages much faster. Don't expect it to be the speed of the other types of phones that utilize the WiFi or networks such as Verizon as they are faster but this is the fastest BB has ever been. 4. Pearl has "Voice" dialing and it is pretty neat after you get used to it. Not perfect but pretty good. 5. Sound quality is acceptable but nothing incredible and speaker phone works adequately. 6. Track wheel is new and easy to adapt to but you have evidently not had a BB before so this is not an issue. 7. Remember you can have up to 10 of your personal or business emails forwarded to the BB (virtually any of the models) so you might use this more for email than you think.8. "MMS"ing from this is great! The 1mp camera takes pretty good photos and you can them "MMS" them to others and nowadays most people seem to have this capability but up until now, BB's didn't have this capability. 9. This unit has BB "messenger" which one can use directly in between other BB's as well as having the four IM's which are AOL, MSN, ICQ and Yahoo. These can come in very handy sometimes -- the big "four" are also available on the 7105T -- I just used the AOL in St Petersburg, Russia week before last for some critical communications and having that IM was really vital!
    Bottom line I would recommend getting the PEARL as I have no intentions of returning it and going back to my 7105T other than utilizing my 7105T as my "second" phone when overseas and using it to put in local SIM cards and still using the email capability of my "Stateside" Blackberry Pearl! Take care! --j
    Quote Originally Posted by nmadd
    Hi all,

I'm researching right now and love all of the info I get from the forum. One question:

I'm looking to setup new Blackberry service. I'm going to use it mainly for voice and web (I have to check my sports scores a lot ) but sporadically for email. I'll use it for email heavily about 45 days/year when traveling. I'd like it to fit in my pocket; it will be my only phone. I'd say I'm mostly in it for the fun/gadgetry because it will not be a super business-heavy device (at least I hope not).

Is this the phone for me? Besides the price, any reason to go for a 7105t instead for instance?

Thanks for any advice. I can't wait to get my first Blackberry!

blbeach no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

I waited for the Pearl to come out before ordering my 8700. I hate correcting the
    [FONT=serif]sure-type[/FONT]
    on my 7105T all the time, it just slows me down too much. I would love the Camera and mp3 player, etc, on the Pearl, but I need to text and email
    [FONT=serif]a lot[/FONT]
    and need a qwerty keyboard. The 8700G has a
    [FONT=serif]better[/FONT]
    looking screen, too. But check the pearl out thoroughly before you decide, it may be the one for you.

PIN/ID
    Ask me

Well, see above for Googles spelling corrector! LOL

Should have read:

I waited for the Pearl to come out before ordering my 8700. I hate correcting the sure-type on my 7105T all the time, it just slows me down too much. I would love the Camera and mp3 player, etc, on the Pearl, but I need to text and email a lot and need a qwerty keyboard. The 8700G has a better looking screen, too. But check the pearl out thoroughly before you decide, it may be the one for you.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ they all have their advantages and disadvatages. So its all up to you. Ask your self questions like do I need a phone that plays mp3? And such... Goodluck and hope you pick the right one

rydintl1 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have been using the "sure type" method since first getting my 7100 and later 7105T for over a year now. At first I was VERY skeptical. The biggest mistake one can do, at first, is watch the words being formed. I type as fast as my original BB's with QUERTY keyboards and I know the certain words that are going to cause a problem like "see" and "are" for instance. Type a fast paragraph without watching the words as you type and you should be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks for all of the quick replies!

The camera, MP3, multimedia functions are not vital. They would be nice, but are not necessary.

I messed around with the SureType at a local store this weekend and didn't have too much of a problem with it. I've never had a Blackberry before so I'm not used to the full keypad, so that's good I guess.

One main concern with the 8700g is the size. As this will be my only phone, it will go everywhere with me. Is the 8700g uncomfortably big? I don't mind holding a brick up to my head, but will it be awkward or uncomfortable in my pockets? Do you just take it out of your pocket and set it on the bar top all the time? Any comments on something like this?

Thanks again!

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I don't find the 8700g unconfortable in my pockets or on my hip. Althought I came from a 7100i and a i355 before that, and those are no small phones. And I'm used to carrying around my camera and such in my pockets. But the 8700 is no bigger than a pack of smokes or a deck of cards. Carry one of those around for a week and see how ya feel.

rrsarge no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2040AD56

I had a 7100T for about a year and switched to the 8700g. I would never go back to a suretype platform. The 8700 is a great device! When they make a qwerty like the 8700 AND expandable memory then I'll switch!

Also - someday (hopefully soon) they'll have OS ver. 4.2 for the 8700.

PIN/ID
    Ask me

Why not go to the local Tmobile store and check them out for size and try both them out for a bit? You'll see the difference first hand..

Quote Originally Posted by blbeach
    Why not go to the local Tmobile store and check them out for size and try both them out for a bit? You'll see the difference first hand..
    That's the plan!

Thanks everybody for the replies.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

That's the plan!

I have had cell phones since the days when they were as big as small car batteries. I have always upgraded to the latest and greatest in terms of size. I want the phone as small as can be because I wear suits and often have to put the phone in a pocket. So the smaller the better as I do not want a BIG bulge on my suit pocket. And since I don't wear it down my pants, a bigger phone is of no benefit.

Like others said, once you start getting e-mails on the BB you will never go back to a "non-email" phone, it's that critical.

For example, I am a lawyer who does a lot of federal litigation. All fed courts are now "electronic" in that all filings with the court are done online. No more having a courier rush to the court house to file paper copies.

As part of "electronic litigation," opposing counsel and the court now communicate with me through e-mail rather than by fax or snail mail. So getting e-mails no matter where I am has been a pleasure. It has made litigating very easy.

Even if you don't e-mail a lot, you will find that those few times when you are expecting an important e-mail, it will be nice to get it on your BB instead of the PC at the office.

I use the 7100t which is a small phone by BB standards. But I like that the 8100 Pearl is even smaller. Additionally, I like that it can perform some multimedia functions, albeit somewhat rudimentary compared to dedicated devices [e.g., the MP3 player and video].

I also want a camera, which my 7100t did not have. Many times I want the ability to take a pic, but have had to tote a small digital camera in my brief case.

As for the typing issue, ditto on what another member said, the Suretype is a GREAT feature, but you can't look at what you are typing because you will think that Suretype is getting the word wrong, when in fact it is not, it's just that sometimes Suretype does not insert or "guess" the correct word until you type a few or all of the letters on some words.

So I'd go with the 8100 as a matter of choice between it and the other models. I just think at some point you will want the camera and MP3 player.

Plus, the trackball [the "pearl"] is easier to use when having to correct words in your typing. On my 7100t I have to hold down a key, then use the scroll/jog wheel to get to a word that needs correcting. With the 8100 you just hover the cursor over the word just like you do on your PC. For me that is a GREAT feature inasmuch as I am always forgetting the key combos on the 7100t.

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

That's the plan!

By the way, when looking at the BB, you will go with the 8100 simply because it looks so cool compared to the other models. I mean, at the beach there are fat chicks and hotties in bikinis. Who ya gonna chase? Same thing will happen at the TMO store. You will fall prey to the 8100's siren song.

But looks aside, you also should consider how often you will e-mail on the BB. I mostly just use mine to receive e-mail. When I compose or reply e-mails, mine are very short, typically one sentence, sometimes two. So a full keyboard is not essential for me. I do the heavy typing on my PCs.

May want to keep that in mind when considering the value to YOU of each model's features. It really does get down to personal preference based on your intended use and what features matter TO YOU.

For example, I use a little MP3 player at the gym. I am going to see how the phone MP3 works in that environment, not so I can use the phone while working out, but just to eliminate using a separate player.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 09-19-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast